Seeing More Victory Motorcycles on the Road

• 5420 posts
    March 12, 2011 5:58 AM PST
    I'm not sure if it is just here in So California, but I am seeing more and more Victory motorcycles every time I go out riding.  I have always thought of them as good motorcycles, just didn't seem like they were selling a whole bunch.  I'm not sure why the recent surge in sales (at least around here)... maybe it's some increase advertising by Victory, or maybe its the introducion of a few new models and make-overs on some of the existing bikes.

Anyone else noticing more Victory Motorcycles in other areas?
  • March 12, 2011 12:09 PM PST
    Up here they are not really very common at all.  I would say if you are at a spot with maybe....100 bikes, you might see 2.  As of Biketoberfest in 08 at Daytona, the company announced it had sold a grand total of over 50,000 bikes.  Thats about a fifth of what HD sells annually.  I'd guess they are at around 75,000 units in total sales by now...or less. The recent additions of the Crossroads and Cross Country models will likely enable them to continue the sales increases they've enjoyed pretty much throughout the life of the brand, with the exception of 09 which was flat.  Every other year they've increased their sales in the large double digits......percentage wise.  But again, we are talking small unit numbers. 

IMO their big improvement opportunity is  the dealer network.  It ...well, it sucks.  And ........the mother ship needs to ease up on their demands of the dealers to hold large dollar amounts of inventory.  They simply cannot afford it so they discontinue selling the brand.  A lot of dealer turnover.

Thanks for noticing.  We are a pretty rare breed !! 

jb
  • March 14, 2011 9:31 AM PDT
    I've seen quite a few new Victories running around the local Mtns just south of you. NC Yamaha/Victory sells them in Escondido where we live and what I thought of the bikes was that I loved the new looks of the machine, real modern looking and with a 106 or 110 cubic inch motor you get alot of power for the money. I'm a big fan of the cross country model and I would love to have one in my garage one day. I always thought that I would be buying the Harley Ultra Classic for my final bike but I'm not so sure now, it might just be the big Victory instead. Btw Brand loyalty with me went out the window when Harley Davidson starting importing all their parts and their clothing/riding gear from overseas.
  • April 9, 2011 2:32 PM PDT
    Not many here either, even with the Dealer discounting 4-5grand! That's great for re-sale values....not! If I owned one I'd be upset with all the discounting with the brand. They make a nice bike but as I said I don't see many here.
  • April 10, 2011 1:50 PM PDT
    veerod wrote...
     Dealer discounting 4-5grand! .

Where are you seeing this? 

jb

• 58 posts
    April 10, 2011 2:48 PM PDT
    Not seeing too many around here yet, but we have a dealer now.
    • 0 posts
    April 10, 2011 3:40 PM PDT
    We got a dealer here in Brisbane.Used to be a custom Harley place now its Victory..Seems like its takin a while to catch on down here though...CHEERS BOOF
    • 2 posts
    April 11, 2011 2:28 AM PDT
    This thd. got me curious - Went to their site - It rots - No data that I could find - No weight, HP, tork, grnd. clearance, seat ht, . . . - No nothin', not even good pix
    • 130 posts
    April 11, 2011 6:53 AM PDT
    They are not rare, a local multi-dealer handles them.
    The first models weren't very stylish and had an ugly engine and, if I recall,  some carb issues. The newer engine, along with fuel injection and better syling seems to have helped, although I'm told they are a little on the pricey side.  I read somewhere that the Vic engine is considered the best V-twin made in the US.

• April 11, 2011 11:58 AM PDT
    fiddlemike wrote...
    The first models weren't very stylish and had an ugly engine and, if I recall,  some carb issues. The newer engine, along with fuel injection and better syling seems to have helped, although I'm told they are a little on the pricey side.  I read somewhere that the Vic engine is considered the best V-twin made in the US.

They've never been carbeurated. Transmission was the main problem on the 99 and 00's. 

jb

• April 12, 2011 4:24 AM PDT
    fiddlemike wrote...

OK where did you read thta the Victory was the best V-Twin? It's overhead valve knock off of the Honda only it's the single pin version and I smoked their new 106 on my ugly 103 Dyna!:-)

• April 12, 2011 7:46 AM PDT
    Probably more of a difference in riders than anything else. Neither bike is fast and I'd imagine it cost a bit of money to get that 103 to beat a bone stock 106.

jb
    • 130 posts
    April 12, 2011 8:17 AM PDT
    jbasile wrote...
    fiddlemike wrote...

They've never been carbeurated. Transmission was the main problem on the 99 and 00's. 

jb
    Chalk it up to faulty memory. I thought the old Triumph/Victory dealer told me that the bike was made with American parts but he wished they'd used a European carb.
    • 130 posts
    April 12, 2011 8:22 AM PDT
    Black9 wrote...
    fiddlemike wrote...

OK where did you read thta the Victory was the best V-Twin? It's overhead valve knock off of the Honda only it's the single pin version and I smoked their new 106 on my ugly 103 Dyna!:-)

Dont' recall where I read it, the reference was probably to the quality of the engine, not the skill of the rider.

• April 12, 2011 8:29 AM PDT
    jbasile wrote...
    Probably more of a difference in riders than anything else. Neither bike is fast and I'd imagine it cost a bit of money to get that 103 to beat a bone stock 106.

jb

$2,000 to get 105 RWHP I honestly don't think it could do much better than a stock Harley 96, I could be wrong.

• April 12, 2011 8:30 AM PDT
    fiddlemike wrote...
    Black9 wrote...
    fiddlemike wrote...

The reference was probably to the quality of the engine, not the skill of the rider.
    Gotcha, makes sense.
  • April 12, 2011 10:21 AM PDT
    Black9 wrote...
    $2,000 to get 105 RWHP I honestly don't think it could do much better than a stock Harley 96, I could be wrong.
    Your bike has got to be a blast to ride.  The stock 106 Victory engines are 97hp, 113 ft lbs torque.  I'm not certain if thats at the crank or the rear wheel.  I'd guess crank, could be wrong on that. 

Hey Savage99, I agree the Victory web site sucks but all the stuff is there.....you just have to look a little harder !! 

jb

• 5420 posts
    April 13, 2011 1:48 AM PDT
    Like JB said, all the specs are on the Victory site.  Just go to Motorcycles, select the model and click Specs.

But here is a list of all the specs for all their bikes...
    2011 Victory Motorcycle Specifications
    • 846 posts
    April 13, 2011 7:08 AM PDT
    I've see a few here and there in through out the Northeast still some what of a rare site. I've also heard on the radio that one of the few local dealers has got a ton of older models and is discounting them big time. I think they called them preridden bikes or something like that.
    Nice bikes but not my cup of tea, If cash wasn't a issue I would look a Indian they seem be more my styling other then Harleys. But to each his own. Ride on...........
  • April 16, 2011 3:38 PM PDT
    it's at the crank fellas... but who cares, if you're in the wind and you have a big fat grin keep it up!
  • April 19, 2011 12:09 AM PDT
    I had a chance to ride one and they are very nice bikes. Loaded with lots of get up and go. I plan on buying one this year.
    • 2 posts
    April 20, 2011 12:52 AM PDT
    Chaz wrote...
    I've see a few here and there in through out the Northeast still some what of a rare site. I've also heard on the radio that one of the few local dealers has got a ton of older models and is discounting them big time. I think they called them preridden bikes or something like that.
    Nice bikes but not my cup of tea, If cash wasn't a issue I would look a Indian they seem be more my styling other then Harleys. But to each his own. Ride on...........

http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/news/2011/04/19/polaris-buys-indian-motorcycle.html
    • 3006 posts
    April 21, 2011 4:21 AM PDT
    Just saw old hs buddy who recently purchased one,traded in his 04 Dyna for it.He said the styling and the fit n trim were excellent,the price was rite too.I am impressed by this company & product, wish them all the best of luck !!!