Vietnam Vets / Iraq and Afghan Vets

• March 8, 2011 2:45 AM PST
    A recent post by RexTheRoadDog got me to thinking about one I had seen, so I had to go out and find it. This really hits home and I feel it addresses the differences between when the Nam vets came home and the current vets.

My god, were we all really that young????   I know I was. Got orders on my 18th birthday in Nov of 69 and I was in-country in Dec of 69.

The Eagle Cried  www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ehbc1zU1BwQ />
    Best watched full screen
  • March 8, 2011 6:47 AM PST
    I am a Viet Nam vet. Got my notice for the draft in Jan of 68 and left for Nam in mar of 69. An experience that I will never forget.
    When I got in country they gave me a rifle and 3 rounds. They told me that if we got ambused use two on the enemy and the last on yourself. Siad we did not want to be a POW.
  • March 8, 2011 6:49 AM PST
    Bless you both. Thank you for your service.
    • 114 posts
    March 8, 2011 8:41 AM PST
    What she said.... I am seriously grateful for all the young soldiers who "grew up" after being shipping to 'Nam. Thank you for what you did and didn't do.... God bless you everyone!
    • 9 posts
    March 8, 2011 2:02 PM PST
    I will always be grateful for what you did for us. I will always be ashamed of what you were put through, when you came home. I was 10 yrs. old in '69, but I remember it like it was yesterday. I have two older sister's, who both had friends that I was fond of, who served and were fortunate enough to make it home. And I was sickened at the way all of the vets were treated. And I get just as sick now, when I see the moron's who protest at fallen soldiers funerals. I don't know what motivates any human being to act that way towards their fellow man, especially the one's who are out there, defending their constitutional rights in the first place.
    Ride Free-because freedom ain't free
    Tweek
  • March 8, 2011 11:35 PM PST
    Great Post Tweek
  • March 9, 2011 1:11 AM PST
    I didn't post because I was looking for thank yous and all. That has been taken care of for a while. While I still have some loose ends to tie up, like finally going to visit the wall and closing a chapter in my life, I wanted to show the differences between now and then, and maybe to make people think.....it isn't the soldier in particular, it is the soldier doing what he/she is told to do and go where he/she is told to go. Guess it was the difference in the times...and the reasons we we there. We didn't have a 9/11 to rile the people up like now, so I think the vid kind of says it, for me anyway. Wow, I went off on a spiel huh? Oh well, that's just me. LOL
  • March 9, 2011 1:27 AM PST
    sjsak1 wrote...
    A recent post by RexTheRoadDog got me to thinking about one I had seen, so I had to go out and find it. This really hits home and I feel it addresses the differences between when the Nam vets came home and the current vets.

My god, were we all really that young???? I know I was. Got orders on my 18th birthday in Non of 69 and I was in-country in Dec of 69.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_type=videos&search_query=The+Eagle+Cried&high_definition=1&suggested_categories=10%2C1%2C25 />
    Oppps....Takes you to the page. The vid is called "The Eagle Cried".  Sorry bout that.

My husband says that frequently.  When we see soldiers at an airport or public place he remarks at how young they are!  It takes him back to when he was 18 and joined the Army. 
    • 19049 posts
    March 9, 2011 1:31 AM PST
    Good forum sjsak1, I too am very pleased at the way Americans have turned around and are treating the GIs.
  • March 9, 2011 2:58 AM PST
    It was not a good time. Lost a class buddy who had one day left and married 2 month. Family had a small funeral and The Wall was my only goodbye. It is quite an experiance at sunrise. I am glad that the WW II vets now are able to view their Memorial before they are all passed My father and father-in-law have both been able to make the trip due to donations by their communities for flights and bus rides to tour Washington DC.    I hope that the time will come that we will not need to build another Memorial for men and women lost in combat.  Just one more seem like too much to loose for world peace.    It seems like we are looked at as world police.  
    • 3006 posts
    March 9, 2011 3:27 AM PST
    My neighbor next door was shot down ovr N VNam,lost both of his legs..I had the utmost respect for him..could not understand all the disrespect he went thru, out in public?..it still is amazing to me,just how many people served in that war..think it lasted like 12 years? I missed the draft by 6 mo's..yet I couldnt join if I wanted to,due to physical reasons.Still I do appreciate & respect the sacrifice of any enlisted man,from years ago or those fighting today!!!
    • 1780 posts
    March 9, 2011 5:30 AM PST
    Hell of a great post, and I was just like most others that came home during that time. I throught I would be welcomed home as some sort of hero......Boy was I wrong, couldn't figure out why everyone hated me so much.
    I love this country so much if I could go back in I would. There is no greater honor than to die for your country. That is not possible for me, so now I do what I can to protect the young old and inocident of this great country. Don't forget we signed up to protect this country from foreigh and domestic aggressors.
    Sgt. Night Dragon
  • March 9, 2011 9:09 PM PST
    All I have to add to all of your stories is THANKS !! I enjoy all the freedoms and liberties that your brave service to this country have granted me. I stand and salute all of you!! SMSgt Derryberry USAF ret.
  • March 10, 2011 3:42 AM PST
    I just recently joined my local American Legion because I wanted to be a part of their newly formed Legion Riders Chapter. Reason being I love riding, I love my country, and Ive always wanted to give something back to all who serve or served in our Military. Joining the Riders - I can do this and then some. After reading some of your posts - it only reconfirms how much we owe you. The work we put into fund-raising and the donations are worth it 100 times over! Thank you so much for all you've done and to those that are still deployed - When you come back home - Its our turn to "have your backs"
    • 1161 posts
    March 10, 2011 1:36 PM PST
      Thank you for showing this!
  • March 16, 2011 5:14 PM PDT
    "It is quite an experiance at sunrise."

It is indeed.

Welcome home, Brothers!