National Guard

• January 25, 2012 3:49 AM PST
    I retired from the US Army - 20 years. I would do it all over again if given the opportunity. While the ultimate cost of being in the military may very well be loss of life, the experiences and lessons learned are top notch. But, I also must mention that the military is not for everybody. There is simply no I in Team, and that is exactly what he will be in......a team. So, I say good luck. It is a noble thing he will be undertaking.
    • 1161 posts
    January 25, 2012 3:41 PM PST
    05RoadGlide wrote...
    I retired from the US Army - 20 years. I would do it all over again if given the opportunity. While the ultimate cost of being in the military may very well be loss of life, the experiences and lessons learned are top notch. But, I also must mention that the military is not for everybody. There is simply no I in Team, and that is exactly what he will be in......a team. So, I say good luck. It is a noble thing he will be undertaking.

• 1780 posts
    January 26, 2012 5:59 AM PST
    Can be a good move in the right direction....BUT like others have said ...Two Eyes Wide Open From The Get Go!!!!!!
    Now here are a few tid Bits for your Son(1. Military Jargen for Liar is "Recurter" (2. After about 3 days your Son will learn to say with great enthusism "FRAG that damn Recurter! (3. Remember your son is normal ... it's called salt Peter! (4. Tell your son after the first night in boot camp......No Son you didn't grow any ...the last dude that had that bed short sheeted the bunk! (5. Do not take an electric razor to boot camp, unless your Son and everybody else in the place would like to bury the thing at 3 in the morning! (If your Son likes a private moment when he takes a Poop he will have to hold it until 2 in the morning! ( 6. Remember you always starte out with your left foot when you march......yea I know, seems simple right ..... Well there are morons who don't know left from right, so everybody will have to wait for the slow ones!
    I can keep this up for a long time, but you get the idea.........
    Best of luck from the Dragon.......Oh yea I forgot to tell ya my boot camp nick name..... Dudley Dumb Ass.......everybody will get one!!!!!!
  • January 26, 2012 6:20 AM PST
    I joined the Army Gaurd when I was 17, so until I shipped out to Boot I attended the weekend drills n I liked the attititude so much that I signed to go regular Army after boot cause I wanted to travel plus I wanted to go to Vietnam...however 3 weeks before I shipped I came down with a kidney diease that was predicted to kill me...so long story short I was realeased from the Gaurd...I say GO FOR IT!!!! what n opportunity...
    RandyJoe
    IceBear....Be well...
  • January 27, 2012 9:41 AM PST
    I served 4 years active duty Navy got out for family reasons otherwise i would still be active, but with the new GI Bill they have the POST 9/11, its hard not to get out.
    As soon as i got out of the Active Duty, i Joined the Navy Reserves (just like the guard) and its 1 weekend a month and 2 weeks a year he will have to show up and drill, The benifits are 1year of Post 9/11 GI Bill, and a reduced rate for health and dental. Its nice to get 2-3hundred extra dollars a month covers most small bills. and he will get to learn alot of cool things. Its a Family, just like the biker community!