OK - now they've done it

• 2 posts
    January 15, 2011 12:29 AM PST
    Lousy week, started off w/ the beautiful people telling me that I was responsible for some nihilistic, anarchist cracker in AZ going off on some nice people - OK, you win, in the future I will never disagree with anything you say or do.

Then this, the only pop group ever liked enough to spend my inflation racked dollars to buy their crap & now they are banned.

The Canadian Broadcast Standards Council has ruled that Dire Straits’ 1980s hit Money for Nothing is too offensive for Canadian radio.

The ruling, released Wednesday, was in response to a complaint against St. John’s radio station CHOZ-FM. The listener complained that the word faggot – which appears three times in the song is “extremely offensive” to gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender people.

The council is an independent body created by Canadian radio and television broadcasters to review the standards of their content.

• 19061 posts
    January 15, 2011 12:39 AM PST
    Where the hell is this world going? Too efin politically correct, rewriting "Tom Sawyer" and now this......
    • 9 posts
    January 15, 2011 12:56 AM PST
    Who Are The Brain Police.... Zappa (1966)
  • January 15, 2011 1:27 AM PST
    Rmember Clockwork Orange?? Big brother is there. While the ACLU had a very valid reason to come into existance, it has gotten totally out of control. The wife tols me about an item she read:

A little boy writes a letter to God and asks "Why do you let bad things happen in schools and in public places where people gather? God replied, I am sorry those things happen, but I am not allowed in those places anymore".

These people will get ANYTHING banned. What is needed is a system that will have the balls to look them in the eye and tell them to get a life. Nobody cares if that word was used.
  • January 15, 2011 3:07 AM PST
    samething happened to David Allen Coe for some of his "racist"songs and Guns and Roses song "Patience" they are just songs ppl really need to get a life and quit dwelling on trivial things and worry more about fixing the economy and govt
    • 86 posts
    January 15, 2011 5:46 AM PST
    You've got to be kidding???? With all the crap they play on the radio they ban that?
    • 0 posts
    January 15, 2011 6:26 AM PST
    Thats terrible..How can we listen to a song that may offend people? We should all show a bit more sensitivity to these minority groups....A nd if you bloody believe that I just saw Santa playing poker with the Tooth fairy and the Easter bunny..Where i come from we call em as we see em..In 1984 a faggot was a faggot and I'm pretty bloody sure he still is now..Joe Jackson will be next..
    • 9 posts
    January 15, 2011 6:34 AM PST
    That song came out in the 80's. It's been on the air for over 25 years. Are you seriously telling me that the Canadian government has nothing better to do than pick a song, from a different era, apply it to todays PC world, and then ban a musical group because of it's content??? Will they also ban Mel Brooks "Blazing Saddles", because it uses the "N" word? Maybe they already have. And yet, Canadian television has no problem showing full nudity to sell a jar of pickles...REALLY? Anything, can be taken out of context.
    Glad I Ride Free in the USA
    Tweek
  • January 15, 2011 9:35 AM PST
    next thing you know us Americans wont be able to say eh as it may offend the Canadians. did i say that in a PC manner wouldnt want to offend any of the Canadians
  • January 17, 2011 6:11 AM PST
    I've been wanting to learn that song for some time now in my band. And when we do.....I'm NOT going to change the original words...."the little faggot got his own jet airplane, the little faggot is a millionaire". And they don't ban the rap songs with the "n" word? .....really??
    • 1516 posts
    January 17, 2011 7:38 AM PST
    They banned the uncut version of the song just cuz they said "the little faggot is a million aire" I read that one of the stations in Canada was planning to play the uncut version of the song for a whole hour is protest!
  • January 17, 2011 1:31 PM PST
    Get over it everyone,you can still sing the real lyrics on kareoka night at the club house. As far as rap goes, the only rap I listen to is my pipes... havent heard an N word yet
    • 16849 posts
    January 17, 2011 2:02 PM PST
    Strange thing is back in the 60's & 70's I listened to Canadian radio (just across Lake Erie from me) because it wasn't censored, times they are a changing.
  • January 18, 2011 6:03 AM PST
    Funny how i have always had the impression that Canada was alot more liberal at allowing material that some folks thought was offensive. I guess i was wrong!  Hey Tweek what channel was that full nudity pickle commercial on?  

• 202 posts
    January 20, 2011 11:19 PM PST
    Yeah, you better be careful what you say... anything can be interpreted as a "hate crime". WTF... where i come from a crime is a crime... end of story. why is it worse if a white man kills a black man than if a black man kills a white man or a white man kills a white man??? And that is in good ol' America. Our freedoms are being challenged!

Look, they can't even PROFILE for the airlines and God forbid somebody profiled the AZ shooter. That is why it will happen again and they will never stop terrorists from boarding airplanes... it would be wrong to profile... F$@k that... that is what common sense is, but there is no common sense anymore!

Aw, i better get off my soapbox before i fall!