M.I.A...question

• 601 posts
    January 8, 2011 8:43 AM PST
    I read and study a lot of history, I am currently doing a project on the Korean war 1950-53. i was shocked to see that over 8000 U.S military are still officially posted as missing in action.Most of these would have been killed and buried in unmarked graves or just obliterated in shellfire. But from what I can gather a lot of these guys were sent to Soviet Russia, never to be seen again. My question is ...is the US actively trying to trace these people.

There is a group in europe which is still identifying war remains from WW1 and WW2.

Boof, there are still over 40 Aussie troops officially M.I.A from the Korean war, is your Government doing anything ?

• 0 posts
    January 8, 2011 10:22 AM PST
    Korea is the"forgotten" war here a bit mate..We've only last year opened a bloody monument to those poor bastards who were drafted and sent to that shithole...I think opinions are against Korean war because it was a police action more than a war as far as governments are concerned..Ask those poor blokes who went and served if it was a police action..I bet they tell you it was a bloody war..My government have done alot at reclaiming bodies of our fallen diggers from Galipoli and The Somme',but nothing is ever mentioned of Korea..Its bloody disappointing but thats the way it rolls ......CHEERS BOOF
  • January 8, 2011 10:56 AM PST
    There is an Fed outfit called JPAC but not sure how heavy they are into the Korean War MIA'S. They have returned a lot of our KIA'S from vietnam but need to never stop trying to find them all. That is every War
  • January 8, 2011 12:15 PM PST
    To the best of my knowledge, they are still trying to recover remains from Korea and Vietnam. There are two major hurdles....funds and the foreign governments allowing the teams to access sites.
  • January 8, 2011 5:49 PM PST
     The Vietnam Vets MC state this on their website, " Our first and primary mandate is to do everything within our powers to bring our POW/MIA Brothers home and to insist that our Government demands accountability for each and every one of those patriots."  More information can be had at http://vnvmc-caa.com.  You may find out more information by contacting them.
    • 19061 posts
    January 9, 2011 1:53 AM PST
    Neil, this is one big stain on our American flag. How or why our government left them is unfathomable. They have disgracefully been abandoned. There are several groups of patriots in the US,
    Friends of the Forgotten, Vietnam Vets MC, Rolling Thunder, and Forget Me Not to name a few, who try to keep this issue in the news but their success is limited.
    Hell, the Rolling Thunder ride in DC has turned into a party instead of what it was originally organized for, POW-MIA Awareness. As one of the original members (I held the office of Vice-President and was a member of the Board of directors)  of  Rolling Thunder PA and Friends of the Forgetton I was very active with the POW-MIA problem since 1990. I am proud of my active time with these groups but not proud of the fact that now  I have become one of the apathetic, or just burned out, members of the US.
  • January 9, 2011 2:26 AM PST
    The US had dozens of F-86 planes shot down over North Korea and it has always been rumored that some of the pilots were shipped off to the old Soviet Union for interogation because the plane they were flying was a new jet and was shooting the tails off the Mig 15s. You would think that a country who donates money to every stupid cause on the planet would make this issue a priority but we seem to be more worried about offending the other governments around the world lately. In my opinion we need to go back to the policy of kicking ass and taking names!!!!!
  • January 9, 2011 4:03 AM PST
    wheels wrote...
    The US had dozens of F-86 planes shot down over North Korea and it has always been rumored that some of the pilots were shipped off to the old Soviet Union for interogation because the plane they were flying was a new jet and was shooting the tails off the Mig 15s. You would think that a country who donates money to every stupid cause on the planet would make this issue a priority but we seem to be more worried about offending the other governments around the world lately. In my opinion we need to go back to the policy of kicking ass and taking names!!!!!

I couldnt agree more with ya Wheels. it is just plain sickening to see that our govmt can spend countless amount of our tax money to fund another ountries problems instead of spending that money on our own homefront and to bring peace to our fallen heros families by locating them and having a proper burial for them. this is just one of the areas that most ppl take for granted that the govt is "working"onand in fact not a damn thing is being done by the govnt but by the family and friends of our fallen heros.
  • January 9, 2011 4:04 AM PST
    thanks for posting that rory1. its good to know that there are those of us who still think and wonder about this problem
    • 1780 posts
    January 9, 2011 4:27 AM PST
    Wheels I'm rolling with you my Brother.....forgive the pun.
    • 601 posts
    January 9, 2011 4:56 AM PST
    Check this out, they are still identifying bodies from WW2, very interesting site. I got the link from my cousin in Oregon who is in the navy..

www.dtic.mil/dpmo/
    • 1066 posts
    January 9, 2011 5:32 AM PST
    I don't know about you guys, but I hate the term "Police Action". Thousands upon thousands of people don't die in a Police Action.
  • January 9, 2011 5:40 AM PST
    Great link My question is why do we need so many Govt. funded orgnizations and why don't we combine them all with one goal in mind and that is to find all our MIA'S from every War. Wait my mistake that might make sense.
  • January 9, 2011 8:26 AM PST
    webby wrote...
    Great link My question is why do we need so many Govt. funded orgnizations and why don't we combine them all with one goal in mind and that is to find all our MIA'S from every War. Wait my mistake that might make sense.

now thats a gr8 idea which is why it will probably never happen
    • 601 posts
    January 23, 2012 9:27 AM PST
    This topic has probably been forgotten, but I get regular e-mails from the US..seems that you are finding these guys fairly regular...I hope this link works.. www.dtic.mil/dpmo/accounted_for/ />

I really hope your Patriot Riders honour some of these lads....they may be dead over 50 years, but they're only coming home now.At the very least, keep them in your thoughts for a wee while.
  • January 23, 2012 10:21 AM PST
    Yup go on that one a lot they just found my brothers friend and crew a few years ago he was on a spectre flight and they passed each other on the way back from a mission he never saw his friend again.