What mechanical problems have you encountered on the road.

• December 20, 2010 1:01 PM PST
     I read a good topic about what tools to carry. Which sat me to wondering what real mechanical issues have you had on the road. What type of bike, how did you fix it? What tools did you use to fix it. If you did not have the right tool what tool should have been in the kit? Thanks
    G
  • December 20, 2010 7:22 PM PST
    Ive ridden thirty plus years and have had numerous problems on the road. I once used a stick and some zip ties to make my throttle cable work so I could get home. The only problem I've had with my current ride was that the entire throttle handgrip came loose and would not work. The stock harley tool pouch worked to fix the problem as well as a little loctite. There are so many dealerships listed in my HOG atlas that anymore with all the electronics on my bike a good cell phone is a must have.
    • 58 posts
    December 21, 2010 12:51 AM PST
    An elastic hairband put a broken shifter linkage back together so I could get home.
  • December 23, 2010 1:53 PM PST
    was headed down to Ark. to reserve our room for BBBQ this yr and bike just up and quit running got pulled off the side of the road and started checking everything that i knew of (which wasnt much at the time) finally called a buddy of mine and asked hi and he told me to check the fuse under my seat. well i took the seat off and alas no fuse to be found. called him back and he sent a another buddy out to help me out and we finally found the fuse he was talking about behind my sidecover next to the battery on my rectifier . it is a paper thinflat fuse that is held in place by two phillips head screws luckily there was a spare one in the lid of the casing, installed it and the bike started right up and hasnt giving me a lick of problems since. now if i would have have a manual with me i could have figured it out by my self. so i would recomemnd a manual to be carried on ur bike if possible. its an 82 goldwing by the way
  • January 13, 2011 7:03 AM PST
    Strapped a car batter on my luggage rack & wired it up with romex wire.
    • 202 posts
    January 20, 2011 9:57 AM PST
    Ran out of gas. I let a friend take my bike for a ride and he had the fuel turned to reserve. Later while i was riding, she started to chug so i put it on reserve, but there was no reserve... so i ran out of gas. Low and behold, no sooner did i get the bike on the side of the road and say, "oh shit," i see his van coming down the road. He just happened to be driving by! He went for gas. I didn't tell him the details... just let him be the hero!