Harley Sportsters Shorty Shocks

• December 7, 2010 11:28 AM PST
    I want to lower my HD Sportster bike by replacing shocks for shorty shock. I fund Shorty Shocks at www.CycleHeart.com. Did anybody already buy this shock and have experience with it?

thanks,
    TOM
    • 1 posts
    December 7, 2010 12:58 PM PST
    There is two ways to go on lowering the Sporty, the first and "cheap" way is the kits that drop the shock mounts down about an inch.

Then there is replacing the shocks with shorter shocks. A little more expensive, but the best way to do it in my opinion.

When replacing the shocks, I would be more concerned with getting a quality shock that provides the ride you want, and not so much whether its gas or oil filled. A top of the line fluid shock is still better than a lower quality gas shock.

That said, I don't know anything about the actual shock you have listed. I'm not sure who actually manufactures the shock. The price seams about right, even toward the lower side. You are definitely doing the right thing asking for input on an item without to much detail about who makes it.
    • 0 posts
    December 7, 2010 2:36 PM PST
    Mate if your a bit of a moose like me you gotta be careful lowering the little buggers as the chain gets into the oil tank....I dunno what model sporty y'all got but just check all your clearances real bloody careful or you could really stuff things up....CHEERS BOOF
  • December 7, 2010 2:44 PM PST
    hey brother- ill throw my 2 cents- i have a 91 sporty that had the stock 13 inch shocks with the lowering brackets installed- this is on way to go as bailout mentioned- i then replaced those with lick's cycles 10 inch shocks- and ditched the lowering kit- the 10 inch shocks makes the seat height about 1 1/2 inches lower than with the lowering brackets-
    in my opinion- the short shocks look alot better- that being said- the short shocks are not nearly cushy as the original ones- so if long trips are in your future- it may be something to think about-
    the licks cycles shocks are reasonable in cost- and so far i have had no issues at all with them--- hope this helps-

also like boof said- im 6 foot even and lowering the bike looks kick ass- but i then had to fold up to ride- lol
    hope this helps- respects --- dave
  • February 9, 2011 1:15 AM PST
    Sportsters are so uncomfortable from the get go, why would you lower it? Do you hate your kidneys that much? I bought 12 1/2 shocks for my Dyna and MAN it rides so much better! No more bottoming out, no more scary corners.