New Memeber - Veterans Day Parade - Need Some Help

• November 8, 2010 11:44 AM PST

Hello fellow riders,

I am new to the forum here so, hopefully I am in the right spot.

I am going to be riding in the Veterans Day Parade.  I have found the motorcycle flag mount I want for my bike at motorcyclepride.  See image below.  I have one problem though. I cannot find the size of the roundbar on the back of my bike. I read my manual 100 times over and cannot seem to find it.

When I contacted mcpride the company they said they are an extremely tight fit.  Does anyone know the diameter of the luggage rack for a 2010 Electra Glide? I think it is the 1/2 flag but I am not positive.

Please help!! I really want this for the parade, unfortunatly I waited until the last min. Does anyone have a micrometer to gauge the round bar?

Thanks - Ken
    P.S. Check out their website, they have a pretty touching Veterans Day Tribute

• 15 posts
    November 8, 2010 12:29 PM PST
    Get someone from a machine shop to mike it. They shouldn't charge anything for something that simple and you will have an accurate measurement.
  • November 8, 2010 1:22 PM PST
    I was thinking the same thing, but this is priced right, and from what I can tell it looks like it is good quality
    • 834 posts
    November 8, 2010 1:50 PM PST
    Not sure about the size of your round bar, but you may want to look at J&P Cycles.  I was looking to see if they mentioned which bike they fit - and they don't tell you either, but I did notice that all of the same exact flag mounts were cheaper at J&P.  I put the link below for you.

J&P Flag Mounts
    • 1 posts
    November 8, 2010 2:02 PM PST
    I can't believe you contacted them and they didn't know which would fit one of the most poular racks out there.  To many people seeling motorcycle parts that don't know motorcycles.  I believe it is 1/2".  Using AZ's link I found this one at J&P that says it fits the luggage rack and it is 1/2".  Plus if you are in a hurry, which you probably are, I know for a fact J&P offers overnight service (at an extra charge), but they always get it to you overnight. 

Here is the one that should fit...

Kuryakyn Vertical Flag Mount Kit

• November 8, 2010 2:34 PM PST
    Thanks for the help, I tried J&P Cycles and they did know either. I guess I will just give the 1/2" a shot, and if it doesnt work, I will return it.

Guess I shouldnt get these last min urges to upgrade my bike before trips and parades.
    • 58 posts
    November 9, 2010 1:47 AM PST
    Here is my setup.  I can fly 2 flags , no problem at all.  Is good at (legal) highway speeds.

• 58 posts
    November 9, 2010 1:52 AM PST
    Here is the whole thing:

• 9 posts
    November 9, 2010 10:11 PM PST
    Nice idea Ruf.... And on a side note PAHDguy, if this is your first parade, remember to watch your temp. Parades are ruff on air cooled motors. I change my oil after each parade because I fear oil break down. Just Saying.
  • November 16, 2010 2:59 PM PST
    Thanks for the help everyone, the parade went well. I did end up getting the 1/2 from www.motorcyclepride.com. I will have to post some pictures once I get my camera hooked up.
  • November 16, 2010 3:00 PM PST
    RufCut, are you flying 3X5ft?
    • 58 posts
    November 16, 2010 3:05 PM PST
    Yup, and proud!