07 FLHX Front Tire

• November 5, 2010 12:17 PM PDT
    Today I lifted my bike using my m/c jack to clean the wheels.

Immediately after raising the bike, I began cleaning the front wheel only to discover it was extremely difficult to 'roll' or 'spin' the wheel.

Now, I will tell you all this, I just had some new Dunlops D402F, installed on the bike. They're fine and the bike is fine too! It rolls around and rides very well on the road.

It's just that I can't believe the front wheel is so damn hard to spin! I must take both of my hands to pull that thing around.... I know something just ain't right w/ it....so....................,,,,,  

I called the mechanic at the dealership today. He said he really couldn't evaluate my problem unless I bring it in to the shop. (Naturally!) 
    Well, I'm kinda afraid of riding my bike 30 miles to the dealership, particularly if something is 'binding' the front wheel.

He did state that the 'caliper' pins? or something like that ... .may be too tight....

Anybody have suggestions ?

I guess I'll be putting my bike on the trailer and off to the dealership tomorrow!

Dave
    • 5420 posts
    November 5, 2010 1:25 PM PDT
    Dave, Sounds like the brakes may indeed be rubbing. As a quick check you can carefully slide a clean paint scrapper between the disc and each of the brake pads, and then easily and slowly pry the pads back off the disc. The wheel should spin freely after that. If it doesn't then you most likely have an issue with the bearings.

If it does spin freely, then apply the brakes and try again. There will normally be a little rubbing, but it shouldn't be enough to prevent you from spinning the wheel. If the wheel freezes up again, then you probably do have a problem with the brakes sticking in. First thing I would try is to pull the caliper pins, one at a time and check them to make sure they are not bent or burred. Apply some pin grease (auto parts store) and replace the pin. If you do one pin at a time they should slip right back in.

How many miles are on the pads?, and are they wearing extremely fast?
    • 0 posts
    November 5, 2010 5:47 PM PDT
    Yeah what Lucky said Mate...also check that king kong aint swung off your axle nut mate squashing the shit outta the bearings and crushing the spacers.............CHEERS BOOF
  • November 6, 2010 4:17 AM PDT
    Thanks,...Lucky and Boof for the advice!
    Well, don't ya know.... I put a wrench on the nut that holds the axle on....and the 'stealerships mechanic' must of torqued the shit outta that thing. I had to use a cheater bar on my crescent wrench to loosen the nut.
    Once I did, the wheel began to flow or rather 'spin' freely like it should! They did this, or the mechanics assistant must of did this, after they changed my tires on the bike...but thank God!!! that's all it was....(an overtightened nut)... LOL!
    He, 'the mechanic' had me believing that I should bring the bike in ....glad I didn't ! Just used a lil common sense...
    thanks guys for y'alls quick response!
    Dave in N.O.
    • 5420 posts
    November 6, 2010 4:39 AM PDT
    Dave, Just so you know the torque spec for the axle nut is 50-55 ft. lbs. You may also want to ensure the fork arm is not to tight against the hub. To check that, loosen the two nuts on the axle holder on the bottom of the right fork. Insert a 7/16" drill bit in the hole in the axle. pull the fork leg outward until it touches the drill bit, then tighten the two clamp nuts.
  • November 6, 2010 10:24 AM PDT
    Alright Lucky.... 10-4 on the torque spec, thanks!

Regarding the 7/16" drill bit gauge, I've seen quite a few posts during my 'all day' research into the problem...many speak of using it...so , thanks on that too! I'll do as you say!

Something esle.... do you think the axle nut should be a 'castellated type'... ya know... the kind of nut w/ the internal plastic, since the axle does not have a hole on the left side for a cotter key, ....thus preventing the nut to back off....any thoughts ?

Finally, I've noticed the existing spacers are of unequal length. As I loosened the axle nut, the wheel began to flow freely, however there now, exists a sizeable gap between this spacer and the fork.... (i.e. the right side spacer, as you sit on the bike). I'm thinking I may need either (a) correct sized spacers ... or (b) just insert a couple of machined 'washers' or shims to take up that slack.

You see, I believe that after setting the forks as you say w/ the drill bit technique, I will continue to have that gap....the spacers are not the same length....
    Do you think that's a designe flaw or what?

• 5420 posts
    November 6, 2010 1:03 PM PDT
    Dave,  I would thing with the axle nut tightened to 50 ft lbs you should have no problem with the nut backing off.  I have over 200,000 on my last two Road Kings and never noticed one come loose.  And I do check all critical hardware a couple times a year.

For the spacers, there are different spacers on the right and the left sides.  What appears to be a gap on the right side is normal, but the way the spaces and pilot is set up it is not a problem.

The right side should look like the picture below when adjusted correctly (and yes I know my forks are pitted - I ride a lot of hard miles)

• November 6, 2010 3:51 PM PDT
    Alright Lucky, thanks so much man....that picture really helped out,....
    I'll do as you say and let you know .....

Gotta say it though, ....I just can't believe that space is normal.....but if that is the case, the mechanic at the dealership , 'bit' down on the axle nut and as a result, there was no space....Not only was it causing my wheel from functioning properly, but I'll but hard $$$ on it, that it put undue pressure or stress on my forks....
    In anycase, that's for the help, truly appreciate it ...
    And yea.............your forks look like hell!!!
    • 19040 posts
    November 7, 2010 1:36 AM PDT
    It sounds like you have a good handle on this problem. I will suggest you also have the bearings replaced or at least checked. That over-tightening could have damaged them.