Setting 2001 Ultra Classic Security Code

• October 4, 2010 4:16 PM PDT
    I have recently bought a 2001 HD Ultra Classic with the button fob security system.  I am concerned that I may lose my key fob or the battery may go dead leaving me stranded.  I have learned that I can program a code useing my turn signals that will disarm the security system.  I'm pretty sure I know what the factory default is (either 11111 or 31313) but would like to change it to my own personal code.  Can anyone tell me how to set this code to my own personal setting?
    • 5420 posts
  • October 4, 2010 4:49 PM PDT
    I found that post before I posted this one. I tried it and it didn't work. Any other suggestions?
    • 1509 posts
    October 5, 2010 12:18 AM PDT
    I think but not sure that the push button fob is not digital and can not be over riden by turn signals. the non pushbutton fob is the one with the turn signal backup. see if you can find a users manual on amazon , ebay, or something like that.
    • 19055 posts
    October 5, 2010 12:31 AM PDT
    I wish I could help, my 04 RK uses the sequence in the link previously posted. Hopefully someone here has an 01 Ultra with the sequence. Ed's idea is good, look around for a manual or even the dealer might have one.
    • 5420 posts
    October 5, 2010 4:00 AM PDT
    Aces, sorry that didn't do it for you. I know it works, both the push button and the proximity fobs, because I have helped many of my friends set theirs on different model Harleys using those directions. However never on an Ultra Classic, so I'm thinking since the electronics are completely different, maybe there is a different method.

We have lots of users here riding an UltraClassic, so hopefully one of them can pull out the manual and help you out.
  • October 5, 2010 3:44 PM PDT
    Thanks for the attempted assist! =)>

I tried the HD shop first and the gave me the info on "Using the Personal Code" not "Resetting" it. I'm gonna swing by there again and I'll pay closer attention to what they give me this time.

However, if anyone reading this already has the correct info, please feel free to share!!!! =)>
  • October 5, 2010 8:24 PM PDT
    I was gonna suggest running over to your local harley dealer and asking one of the service writers to come out and show you how to do it. If he says they dont have time for you , well then at least you know you dont want to spend your cash with them right. Did you get an owners manual when you purchased the bike? My 08 streetglide had an insert on how to manually set your pin for turning off the alarm.
  • October 6, 2010 4:05 PM PDT
    HOLY CRAP!!! I don't know why I didn't think to look in the owners manual at first (thanks Shed, Rex, Lucky and Wheels) for the idea. If I had hair I'd swear I was blonde!!! (Sorry for all those that DO have hair and ARE blonde - but if the wig fits....)

I checked the owners manual that I received with the bike and found the section on the security alarm. It is quite different for the method described by Lucky's post (and quite lenghty). Twenty-two (yes that's 22) steps involved but I was successful on my first attempt!!!!! Go figure.

I will take the time to type it up very soon and post it. Thanks to all who attempted the help!!!!
    • 5420 posts
    October 7, 2010 12:55 AM PDT
    Glad you got it all figured out. That would be great if you could add the instructions to the other post. I'm sure you won't be the last one who needs them.
    • 1509 posts
    October 7, 2010 12:59 AM PDT
    check the back page for cards to disable alarm for trailering and a spot for your pin it will stay in your wallet with the registration

PS iresemble that remark!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • October 7, 2010 7:37 AM PDT
    Step No. Action Wait for Conformation Notes
    NOTE: For better security, do not use 3-1-3-1-3 as a personal code. It is shown as an example only.
    1 Set RUN/OFF switch to OFF   Verify that security lamp is not blinking (vehicle is disarmed)
    2 Turn IGN key ON-OFF-ON-OFF-ON    
    3 Press left turn switch 2 times and release 1 - 3 flashes turn signals & indicators depending on vehicle configuration 1 flash - Worldwide TSM, no security --- 2 flashes - North American/Domestic configuration Security System --- 3 flashes - European/HDI configuration Security System
    4 Quickly press key FOB button 2 times and release 1 flash turn signals & indicators Vehicle is in personal code entry mode
    5 Press left turn switch 1 time and release 1 - 9 flashes if code previously entered (None if no code entered) A lack of confirmation flashes indicates no digit is entered
    6 In this example, you will press and release three times --- If code previously entered, count flashes for number and then press and release left turn switch to advance through the digits Security lamp flashes to indicate each digit selected (In this example, the lamp will flash 3 times) You've selected 3 as a number for the first digit
    7 Quickly press key FOB button 2 times and release 2 flashes turn signals & indicators You've confirmed 3 as a number for the first digit and have advanced to entering the second digit
    8 Press left turn switch 1 time and release 1 - 9 flashes if code previously entered (None if no code entered) A lack of confirmation flashes indicates no digit is entered
    9 In this example, you will perform this step one time --- If code previously entered, count flashes for number and then press and release left turn switch to advance through the digits Security lamp flashes to indicate each digit selected (In this example, the lamp will flash 1 time) You've selected 1 as a number for the second digit
    10 Quickly press key FOB button 2 times and release 3 flashes turn signals & indicators You've confirmed 1 as a number for the second digit and have advanced to entering the third digit.
    11 Press left turn switch 1 time and release 1 - 9 flashes if code previously entered (None if no code entered) A lack of confirmation flashes indicates no digit is entered
    12 In this example, you will repeat this step three times --- If code previously entered, count flashes for number and then press and release left turn switch to advance through the digits Security lamp flashes to indicate each digit selected (In this example, the lamp will flash 3 times) You've selected 3 as a number for the third digit
    13 Quickly press key FOB button 2 times and release 4 flashes turn signals & indicators You've confirmed 3 as a number for the third digit and have advanced to entering the fourth digit
    14 Press left turn switch 1 time and release 1 - 9 flashes if code previously entered (None if no code entered) A lack of confirmation flashes indicates no digit is entered
    15 In this example, you will perform this step one time --- If code previously entered, count flashes for number and then press and release left turn switch to advance through the digits Security lamp flashes to indicate each digit selected (In this example, the lamp will flash 1 time) You've selected 1 as a number for the fourth digit
    16 Quickly press key FOB button 2 times and release 5 flashes turn signals & indicators You've confirmed 1 as a number for the fourth digit and have advanced to entering the fifth digit
    17 Press left turn switch 1 time and release 1 - 9 flashes if code previously entered (None if no code entered) A lack of confirmation flashes indicates no digit is entered
    18 In this example, you will repeat this step three times --- If code previously entered, count flashes for number and then press and release left turn switch to advance through the digits Security lamp flashes to indicate each digit selected (In this example, the lamp will flash 3 times) You've selected 3 as a number for the fifth digit
    19 Quickly press key FOB button 2 times and release 1 flash turn signals & indicators You've confirmed 3 as a number for the fifth digit and have gone back to the first digit
    20 Turn IGN key OFF    
    21 Write down code in owner's manual    
    22 Arm the Security System and attempt to disarm using personal code entry    
  • October 7, 2010 7:39 AM PDT
    I typed it exactly as it is written in the manual. It's a bit confusing at first, but once you get started it makes perfect sense.
    • 5420 posts
    October 7, 2010 8:13 AM PDT
    A bit confusing, to say the least! But we really do appreciate you putting this out. I am sure it will be very handy for others with that bike.

Thanks
  • October 7, 2010 10:13 AM PDT
    Nice job Harley only 22 steps!!!!
  • February 23, 2014 4:21 AM PST
    Thanks for posting the instructions for the Ultra PIN !!!!