Move Over for Disabled Vehicles

• 5420 posts
    October 2, 2010 6:06 AM PDT
    When you see a disabled vehicle on the sire of the road, especially if there is someone there working on it, it would seem the natural thing to do would be to move over.  If there is an open lane, you change lanes...if you only have one lane available, you move as far to the left as you safely can...RIGHT. You would think this would be just common courtesy, or at least common sense...But the problem is neither of those is all that common anymore! 

I was just out and it is raining here so the roads are wet with a little standing water.  I saw this rude, inconsiderate idiot come within inches of a guy changing a tire on the side of the road.  Not only did he just miss hitting the guy, but he soaked the poor guy by splashing water all over him as he passed.  Of course I caught up to the jack ass and flipped him off, but by the look on his face I don't think he even realized what he did.
  • October 2, 2010 6:18 AM PDT
    As of January 1st, 2010, it is now a law in CA that when on the freeway(or any road, I imagine) that you must change lanes(when safe to do so) AND reduce speed when there is an officer making a traffic stop in the shoulder. I think the same applies for emergengy vehicles also(tow trucks, etc). It's a pretty hefty fine for this, & it's about time if you ask me & just plain common courtesy, like you said.
    • 1364 posts
    October 2, 2010 7:04 AM PDT
    In Idaho every time we have seen a vehicle on the shoulder ALL vehicles move over when safe to do so. It just makes sense to do so. I sure don't like being on the shoulder and having rigs blow by next to me. Do unto other as you would have done to you...
    • 58 posts
    October 2, 2010 8:15 AM PDT
    Yes, I agree, this is a courtesy that is so much out of practice. It is law now in most states to move over and/or slow down for emergency/service vehicles. Most OTR (Truck) drivers I know do this as a matter of course for any vehicle on the side. I know, I do.