US 30

• 601 posts
    October 2, 2010 5:42 AM PDT
    I had planned to ride highway 1 this year but had to cancel because of 2 deaths in the family. But now I am looking at riding US 30 from Oregon to New Jersey. Seems to me it is mostly a two lane road with only a few interstate highway parts. Have any of you guys done this route, is it worth the trip, which is best...east/west, west /east. It passes close enough to Sturgis and I wonder would that be a good time of year to travel up north. I'm just fishing for some information and maybe some advice.

• 58 posts
    October 2, 2010 8:49 AM PDT
    US-30 would be a fantastic ride. I would go East to West tho. Get the crowds done quick and you'll have the open roads of the west to relax. Lots of country and sights.
    • 467 posts
    October 2, 2010 4:55 PM PDT
    At what time of year will you be doing this?
    • 601 posts
    October 3, 2010 8:37 AM PDT
    thinking of tying it in with Sturgis bike week early august 2011
    • 1509 posts
    October 3, 2010 8:41 AM PDT
    rory1 wrote...
    thinking of tying it in with Sturgis bike week early august 2011

that could be a very hot and humid time of the year!
  • g
    October 3, 2010 9:36 AM PDT
    go for it dude ,wish i could come with u .
  • October 3, 2010 10:53 AM PDT
    We are not so far from your route and we are going to Sturgis next year. Maybe we could ride part of it together? Depends on which way you start:-)
    • 19046 posts
    October 4, 2010 12:49 AM PDT
    Hey Rory, it will be hot then and as Ed said humid too, especially east of the Mississippi river. Traffic at least in PA, NJ and NY will be congested east of Harrisburg PA. Still a great ride. There is a docu-movie about the Lincoln Highway I saw on PBS I think. I will try to find the title and a source of a copy. Very interesting.
    Also there is an 'official' group of people involved in keeping it historical. go to http://www.lincolnhighwayassoc.org/ />

OK I found the video on netflix. Search for "A Ride Along the Lincoln Highway."

• 76 posts
    October 4, 2010 2:23 AM PDT
    Rory...stop by Cleveland on your way - we'd love to ride east or west with ya for a bit!
    • 467 posts
    October 4, 2010 3:18 AM PDT
    I agree with the West-East direction. When you get to Cheyenne, WY--you can get off of 30 (I-80) on to US Hwy 85 North and take it through some great scenery all the way to Sturgis. Only a little bit of grassland from Cheyenne to Torrington then it gets nothing but better from there. It is 2 lane all the way from Cheyenne to Sturgis and it goes right past my house! You will also be going by "Aspen Alley" that is right off of 30 between Baggs and Centennial, WY at the right time to catch them in full leaf. Plus, by the time you cross the Miss, it should be cooling down somewhat, and the humidity should be lower.
    • 1509 posts
    October 4, 2010 8:05 AM PDT
    RexTheRoadDog wrote...
    Hey Rory, it will be hot then and as Ed said humid too, especially east of the Mississippi river. Traffic at least in PA, NJ and NY will be congested east of Harrisburg PA. Still a great ride. There is a docu-movie about the Lincoln Highway I saw on PBS I think. I will try to find the title and a source of a copy. Very interesting.
    Also there is an 'official' group of people involved in keeping it historical. go to http://www.lincolnhighwayassoc.org/ />

OK I found the video on netflix. Search for "A Ride Along the Lincoln Highway."

Watched this several times and have searched otu some of the obscure parts and wow the history is awsome.
    • 601 posts
    October 4, 2010 8:19 AM PDT
    netflix is unavailable in Ireland...I'm gonna see if I can order the video/DVD.