Harley Sportster Crank shaft position sensor

• September 28, 2010 1:43 PM PDT
    Hi Guys,

Just a little info that I have found to be very valuable. Many of the EVO Sportster owners have experienced problems with their crank shaft position sensors ( CKP) working intermitantly. . The symptoms are exactly like your bike is starving for fuel. Often but not always the problem happens when the bike is warmed up.: coughing, hesitating when you roll on the throttle. When my bike had this problem I would have sworn it was vapor locking. I replaced the sensor cost about fifty bucks it immediately solved the problem

Unfortunately many dealer service departments mis diagnose this as a carburetor problem. After you spend a couple hundred on carb repairs that may make it worse the problem remains.

You may or may not get an error code : PO 372 If you don't know how to read your error codes this is a link to a guide I wrote:  Sportster Diagnostic Error codes and how to access them

Hopefully this will save you a few bucks ( and some agravation)

Don

• September 29, 2010 3:42 AM PDT
    Is this ONLY on the Sportster?
  • October 1, 2010 8:11 AM PDT
    Here's what I've been doing with CKPs... a little dielectric grease on the gasket surface... anything to keep it that much cooler I say. I haven't any trouble on the big twins but I have seen a lot of Sportsters acting like they're vapor locked. Usually bad coils or the CKP craps out. Trick is to keep it cool, the part itself is cheap and the mark up on it is ridiculous.
  • June 9, 2013 12:47 PM PDT
    Bumpity bump bump

It's been three years and people are still having CKP problems