FLHTC headlight dilemma

• September 5, 2010 2:55 AM PDT
    Good morning group,
    Last night while riding my '90 FLHTC, I noticed that my "hi beam" indicator was glowing even though my switch was on "low".  I could see that my spotlights were operating normally.  I switched to"high beam" and saw that my spots dimmed considerably, and my headlight bulb began to glow very dimly. The beam indicator continued to show "high beam".  I switched back to "low beam", and the headlamp went dark while the spots came back up to full brightness.   Any thouights here, or known similar problems?  I suspect a short, but do not know where to look.  I planr to pull the headlamp housing and possibly the outer fairing later today to see what I might find in there.

Thanks for any help, Chardagha
    '88 FXSTS, '90 FLHTC, '01 FXDSuper
    • 19034 posts
    September 5, 2010 3:33 AM PDT
    Yeah, short sounds likely. Hopefully just within the bulb or socket. If you don't have a wiring diagram ya better get one.
    • 1066 posts
    September 5, 2010 3:37 AM PDT
    Possible short in high/low switch.
    • 1509 posts
    September 6, 2010 3:18 AM PDT
    Agree with hollywood 1 thing that is common with all three. (Hi beam, low beam, and spots) is the switch I would start there. I have a harley repair manual for 07 flh modles with all diagrams. If you need me hit me with a private message.
  • September 6, 2010 4:20 AM PDT
    it's a short, it is feeding back to the closest ground, being your high beam indicator. start looking for a bad connection in the fairing, with the lights on, the affected circuit/wires will be warmer than usual to touch. just don't take too long, could cause serious circuit damage.
  • September 14, 2010 5:41 PM PDT
    thanks for all the good advice guys. I have yet to open things up, but I know where to look first. @ shedrusty; thanks for the offer, but I do have a repair manual w/ diagrams. I'll let you all know what I find.
  • October 22, 2010 3:58 AM PDT
    did ya ever get it fixed??? Be interested to know what it was.
  • July 1, 2011 10:27 AM PDT
    Never opened her up to see...was in the dealership in Feb. and got a great deal on a used '07 ultra classic AND a great trAde in offer so I took it. Love the 07 but hAte the heat issue. Also bought the wife a '10 Deluxe
  • July 1, 2011 10:49 AM PDT
    I too live in So.Cal and what I did for the heat was to add the midairframe deflectors and i also changed to a fully synthetic 20w/50 oil and that seemed to make a big difference on my bike. My friend removes the lower bags that your bike has on the crash bars in the summer months, he says that helps him too.