Dry Counties?!?!?

• 568 posts
    August 18, 2010 11:08 AM PDT
    what's the real story with the so called Dry Counties in the US?!

did a bit of my own research and what i found was enough te have me reach for my faithful bottle of red wine in a hurry!!!

i would be very interested in hearing yer opinions as bikers and as CF family, and of those of ye that have the misfortune (IMO) of LIVING in dry counties: how in the name of Jeeebus-on-a-bicycle DO ye make do with that?! 
    • 2072 posts
    August 18, 2010 11:18 AM PDT
    I lived in a "Dry County" in Arkansas for 18 years. Really sucked. Had to drive into Little Rock to buy beer. Plus, through out the state, no alcohol could be sold on Sundays or Election Days. What never made any sense was the fact that even in a dry county, you could have a "Private Club" and sell alcohol. However, I did get to know a couple of "Moonshiners" that made some kick-a#@, burn your gut shine !!!!!!!!
  • August 18, 2010 11:25 AM PDT
    ezzy, this is true and is a carry over from the days of prohibition. After the repeal, many places enacted their own local prohibitions by either requiring the purchase of a liquor license to sell alcohol or by out and out prohibiting the sale within their city or county limits.

I grew up in Ironton, Ohio and there used to be a restriction on alcohol sales that prohibited sale on Sundays because it was a day of worship. However, there were a couple places just outside the city limits that sold beer on Sundays and was just a short drive.

There are counties that prohibit the sale of alcohol and are "dry" as you said, 24/7.........you can drink it, but you have to drive a bit to get it.

Question: The wifey and i have been debating some time abut the pronunciation of your screen name. Is it like Easy Rider or with the short E sound like it looks? (Ehzy)?
  • August 18, 2010 11:27 AM PDT
    BlvdCruiser wrote...
    I lived in a "Dry County" in Arkansas for 18 years. Really sucked. Had to drive into Little Rock to buy beer. Plus, through out the state, no alcohol could be sold on Sundays or Election Days. What never made any sense was the fact that even in a dry county, you could have a "Private Club" and sell alcohol. However, I did get to know a couple of "Moonshiners" that made some kick-a#@, burn your gut shine !!!!!!!!

18 years??? You poor soul!  Bet they sold cigars though... heh heh!

• August 18, 2010 11:27 AM PDT
    Oh, and I've got an Uncle that, for 40 yrs, has brewed corn liquor that reminds you of Tequila. Makes the drive on Sundays MUCH shorter for the kinfolk.....
  • August 18, 2010 11:30 AM PDT
    DEFCON wrote...
    ezzy, this is true and is a carry over from the days of prohibition. After the repeal, many places enacted their own local prohibitions by either requiring the purchase of a liquor license to sell alcohol or by out and out prohibiting the sale within their city or county limits.

I grew up in Ironton, Ohio and there used to be a restriction on alcohol sales that prohibited sale on Sundays because it was a day of worship. However, there were a couple places just outside the city limits that sold beer on Sundays and was just a short drive.

There are counties that prohibit the sale of alcohol and are "dry" as you said, 24/7.........you can drink it, but you have to drive a bit to get it.

Question: The wifey and i have been debating some time abut the pronunciation of your screen name. Is it like Easy Rider or with the short E sound like it looks? (Ehzy)?

Good thing he's not Nihongo! That would be interesting... albeit; it would be 'ehzzie' (via Roomanjhi) ;-)

• 413 posts
    August 18, 2010 11:31 AM PDT
    Here in the South there still are some dry counties and usually is as a result of the ol "Bible Belt" culture as a form of prohibition the way I see it. I rarly drink so makes very little difference to me but I suspect as the younger generation develops into voters and the economy continues to weaken there will be more counties dipping into the the potential revenue and tax base to support failing local, county, and state budgets. There was a county over in Florida a few years back (Santa Rosa) that sold beer but no liquor untill a proposition was placed in the ballot to allow the sale of liquor in resturaunts and clubs only (which passed) which had a hard fight from the religious community so IMHO eventually most counties which now are still dry will at some point have to bite their tounge and submitt to legal sale of the devil's brew...Pun intended....LOL
    • 568 posts
    August 18, 2010 11:39 AM PDT
    some call me 'eazy' (like in 'easy'and some call me 'eh-zzy'...
    i don't care what they call me, as long as 'tis not too early in the morning! LOL

PS- thanx fer yer answers so far.
  • August 18, 2010 11:42 AM PDT
    Wow! Thanks for clearing that up! That realy silenced the ambiguity siren! COME ON!? How do you pronounce it, or do you? Is it just on CF and therefore doesn't get pronounced except by we here on the Fish/
    • 413 posts
    August 18, 2010 11:47 AM PDT
    DEFCON wrote...
    Wow! Thanks for clearing that up! That realy silenced the ambiguity siren! COME ON!? How do you pronounce it, or do you? Is it just on CF and therefore doesn't get pronounced except by we here on the Fish/

Yep, we'll all sleep better now that we understand  
    • 568 posts
    August 18, 2010 11:57 AM PDT
    DEFCON wrote...
    LOL! i kod ya not! is ya sure 'tis just a debate, or ye and the mafiamama have some bet te agree upon?! LOL!
    example: t' other half insists in calling me 'eazy' (go figure...) while my buddies are equally split between the 2 pronunciations (Dyna here calls me 'ehzzy')...
    full name is 'Ezekiel' so phonetically Dyna's version makes more sense, but i guess the forum(s) name lend itself more ta t' other pronunciation...
    as fer me, when i introduce myself, it depends on the mood i'm in at the moment combined with how i likes t' other person... but then again i'm always debating with self... dunno if this helps wid clarifying or not... LOL
  • August 18, 2010 11:59 AM PDT
    FxrDude wrote...
    Here in the South there still are some dry counties and usually is as a result of the ol "Bible Belt" culture as a form of prohibition the way I see it. I rarly drink so makes very little difference to me but I suspect as the younger generation develops into voters and the economy continues to weaken there will be more counties dipping into the the potential revenue and tax base to support failing local, county, and state budgets. There was a county over in Florida a few years back (Santa Rosa) that sold beer but no liquor untill a proposition was placed in the ballot to allow the sale of liquor in resturaunts and clubs only (which passed) which had a hard fight from the religious community so IMHO eventually most counties which now are still dry will at some point have to bite their tounge and submitt to legal sale of the devil's brew...Pun intended....LOL

Dang Dude ~ thought y'all had 'Parishs' down your way ~ not Counties! Or was that Lowsyanna? Heh heh! Well ~ you could be in Alaska and have 'Buroughs' ~ go figger that one out!

How ya been ya ol fart? HA HA!

The 'other ol fart' ;-)

• 568 posts
    August 18, 2010 12:02 PM PDT
    Blackpearl wrote...

Good thing he's not Nihongo! That would be interesting... albeit; it would be 'ehzzie' (via Roomanjhi) ;-)
    eh?!
    as fer clarity, this fella is NOT helping, is he?! LOL
  • August 18, 2010 12:18 PM PDT
    There is a bet and after that menagerie of an answer I'm laying odds that we both shall collect without bending the conscience up on either side of it.
  • August 18, 2010 12:18 PM PDT
    ezzyrider wrote...
    Blackpearl wrote...

eh?!
    as fer clarity, this fella is NOT helping, is he?! LOL

Aye! Tis True! I not be helpin' in such a matter as to be perplexin the masses! Tis me motto ~ if ye can't impress 'em with knowledge, then baffle 'em with bullshit!'

And even YOU can't decide depending on your mood... heh heh! To this I would say: 'Easy Rider' ~ EHZZY our Brother ~ any way we know you are family! AHhhhhhhhhhh ~ don't be gettin' all sloppy on me now.... where the hell is G??? Oh ~ out shaggin' sheep 

• August 18, 2010 12:24 PM PDT
    Or the sheep be shaggin thee.....
    • 413 posts
    August 18, 2010 12:25 PM PDT
    Blackpearl wrote...
    FxrDude wrote...

Dang Dude ~ thought y'all had 'Parishs' down your way ~ not Counties! Or was that Lowsyanna? Heh heh! Well ~ you could be in Alaska and have 'Buroughs' ~ go figger that one out!

The 'other ol fart' ;-)

HeHe...Parisish's in Lousyanna; but, I suspect there ain't a dry one over there...LOL! Been doin good ya ol geezer; just layin low but did get in about a 100 miles today for the first time in a long time; it was fun! Hope your doing well my brother old fart...ride safe!

• August 18, 2010 12:54 PM PDT
    FxrDude wrote...
    Blackpearl wrote...
    FxrDude wrote...

The 'other ol fart' ;-)

HeHe...Parisish's in Lousyanna; but, I suspect there ain't a dry one over there...LOL! Been doin good ya ol geezer; just layin low but did get in about a 100 miles today for the first time in a long time; it was fun! Hope your doing well my brother old fart...ride safe!

Daggummit~ That sounds like fun!  We did aout a hunnert or so the other day ~ but the back is givin me fits. Thanks to Howard and Gary, I ordered a new saddle! (Oh ~ if I don't blame someone for spending my money, you know who will!!! HA HA!)
    So ~ how's the granola comin' along... I mean, the whole wheat muffin an all... ha ha ha! You must be fit as a fiddle! me ~ aw hell ~ gimme a good steak ;-)

Coop

• 568 posts
    August 18, 2010 1:09 PM PDT
    DEFCON wrote...
    There is a bet and after that menagerie of an answer I'm laying odds that we both shall collect without bending the conscience up on either side of it.
    jeeezz man, ya DO have a way wid words, uh?! 

@ Blackpearl: eh eh!
    PS- and who the hell is this Coop?!

@ fxrDude: hello dude! 
    • 413 posts
    August 18, 2010 1:42 PM PDT
    ezzyrider wrote...
    DEFCON wrote...

Doin good Brother Ezz; keepin my head above water. Sounds like your still fighten to get back in the saddle   

• 413 posts
    August 18, 2010 1:50 PM PDT
    Blackpearl wrote...
    FxrDude wrote...
    Blackpearl wrote...
    FxrDude wrote...

The 'other ol fart' ;-)

Daggummit~ That sounds like fun!  We did aout a hunnert or so the other day ~ but the back is givin me fits. Thanks to Howard and Gary, I ordered a new saddle! (Oh ~ if I don't blame someone for spending my money, you know who will!!! HA HA!)
    So ~ how's the granola comin' along... I mean, the whole wheat muffin an all... ha ha ha! You must be fit as a fiddle! me ~ aw hell ~ gimme a good steak ;-)

Coop

Ya mean ramen noodles and turkey samiches and fit as a fiddle my ass. A few more weeks and I'll be eating cheesecake and slopping down some homemade pie ..............and yep; back to some steak again.

I saw your topic on the seat thing. I use a Mustang 2-up Regal Cushion seat on my FXR.....I love it! The tourning seats at around 16" are way tooooooooooo wide for me ass as they spread my hips out and with the hip replacements I had the Regal seat at around 13" in front and 8" fopr the passenger does just fine and comfy. Hope ya figure it out and get rollin comfy again.

• August 18, 2010 3:30 PM PDT
    ezzyrider wrote...
    DEFCON wrote...

Uhh ~ I guess tha would be me! Two doors, no post... sumpthin' like that ... heh heh heh...

err to wit ~ a menage du tois et du et profane, du et conscience du le et profane? No? Ha ha ha!! 

• 413 posts
    August 18, 2010 4:41 PM PDT
    Blackpearl wrote...
    ezzyrider wrote...
    DEFCON wrote...

Uhh ~ I guess tha would be me! Two doors, no post... sumpthin' like that ... heh heh heh...

err to wit ~ a menage du tois et du et profane, du et conscience du le et profane? No? Ha ha ha!! 

Oshitte name do, wakadimusu ne?

• 19046 posts
    August 18, 2010 9:16 PM PDT
    Blackpearl wrote...
    BlvdCruiser wrote...

18 years??? You poor soul!  Bet they sold cigars though... heh heh!
    OK so what is wrong with Ceegers????   hahahahaha
  • August 19, 2010 12:35 AM PDT
    Got to be careful in these areas too. I went from Louisiana up to Arkansas on a 2 week trip with plenty of booze loaded in the trunk, because I knew it was dry up there. Got pulled over for speeding and the cop didn't like what he saw in my trunk. Said he could arrest me for bootlegging, having that much alcohol at one time. Explained my trip situation and he was nice & let me go.