exhaust system

• July 27, 2010 12:28 PM PDT
    heey guys...so my bike is just not loud enough for me so im looking to buy some pipes but im not sure what to get...i was looking at vance and hines and samson but still haven't decided what i want..i was looking to spend between 400-700 bucks..i want people to hear me coming but i want them to look nice too...lay the suggestions on me 

oo and its a 2006 sportster
  • July 27, 2010 12:32 PM PDT
    i am partial to fishtails, upswept in particular.
    • 5420 posts
    July 27, 2010 12:52 PM PDT
    Both V&H and Sampson make really nice sounding and nice looking exhaust systems.  I I have always liked the clean look of the V&H Straightshots - and they are loud.

www.jpcycles.com/product/440-975 />
  • July 27, 2010 1:08 PM PDT
    don't forget you might have to get the bike remapped after you change the exhaust so it will run properly
  • July 27, 2010 1:22 PM PDT
    sounds good..thanks guys
    • 413 posts
    July 27, 2010 1:35 PM PDT
    heey guys...so my bike is just not loud enough for me so im looking to buy some pipes but im not sure what to get...i was looking at vance and hines and samson but still haven't decided what i want..i was looking to spend between 400-700 bucks..i want people to hear me coming but i want them to look nice too...lay the suggestions on me 

This is Straight Shots with "Quiet Baffles" which are a seperate purchase as I understnd to quiet the sound a bit

• July 27, 2010 1:39 PM PDT
    FxrDude wrote...

This is Straight Shots with "Quiet Baffles" which are a seperate purchase as I understnd to quiet the sound a bit

that sounds good!
    • 413 posts
    July 27, 2010 1:51 PM PDT
    yea it does; type in "Vance And Hines" Straight Shots on You tube and there are quite a few videos with and without the quiet baffles...Check it out
    • 19034 posts
    July 28, 2010 12:14 AM PDT
    Hey You Silly Goose,
    Guessing about how pipes will sound can be difficult. If you can wait a bit, go to a few bike events and listen to what others have. When you find one that appeals to ya ask the rider what he/she are using. Then ask what troubles there were in the conversion. Vance & Hines, Sampson and others all make good aftermarket exhaust. How it looks and sounds to you are the prime consideration.
    • 1066 posts
    July 28, 2010 12:28 AM PDT
    SillyGoose, I have Screamin Eagle 2 slip-ons on my LowRider. They're not too loud, but have a nice tone. I think they look pretty cool too.
    • 413 posts
    July 28, 2010 12:39 AM PDT
    Hollywood wrote...
    SillyGoose, I have Screamin Eagle 2 slip-ons on my LowRider. They're not too loud, but have a nice tone. I think they look pretty cool too.

Yea they do look and sound good Gary; you got yours set about how I like em...I like the SE slipon's. Matter of fact I got a set with no baffles as soon as I can find a set of header pipes I'll add the home made baffle fix to em and put em on the FXR!

• July 28, 2010 12:45 AM PDT
    Better check the laws before you change those pipes.

http://home.ama-cycle.org/amaccess/laws/result.asp?state=ny

"Muffler required; no straight pipes; no removal of baffles; no modification of exhaust system that increases noise beyond exhaust system originally installed. Ref: NYS Vehicle & Traffic Law, Article 9, Section 381"

you might find yourself getting pulled over and collecting a lot of tickets in this state. Dontcha just love living in New Yawk?
    • 1509 posts
    July 28, 2010 4:40 AM PDT
    I think it is a decision as personal as color preference when choosing exhaust. My wife has an 04 883 custom low it had screaming eagle megaphone pipes on it when we got it sounded like crap. Took the baffels out still bad. Went to a friends harley aftermarket shop and found slip on mufflers that look like drag pipes from the 70's sounded good with the baffels in sounds great with the baffels out. Went on a run with some RUBS (rich urban bikers) they asked her to ride behind them cause they were ashamed that the 883 sounded better than there big bores and guess what total cost with chrome clamps and crossover gaskets 240 plus tax. CUSTOM CHROME CATALOGUE
    • 19034 posts
    July 28, 2010 7:16 AM PDT
    pcdoc54 wrote...
    Better check the laws before you change those pipes.

http://home.ama-cycle.org/amaccess/laws/result.asp?state=ny

"Muffler required; no straight pipes; no removal of baffles; no modification of exhaust system that increases noise beyond exhaust system originally installed. Ref: NYS Vehicle & Traffic Law, Article 9, Section 381"

you might find yourself getting pulled over and collecting a lot of tickets in this state. Dontcha just love living in New Yawk?

I agree these laws suck but unless you are acting obnoxious and intentionally making a lot of noise you won't be hassled. I have been running realativly loud Screaming Eagle mufflers on Rex since I got him new and had straight pipes on my '93 wideglide (from day one) and was never bothered. As for baffles you really need some baffling for performance. I have been stopped many times for my beanie helmet though so the constables do see me.

• 1509 posts
    July 28, 2010 9:21 AM PDT
    what he said
  • July 28, 2010 1:01 PM PDT
    wow thanks for all the advice guys! its a lot to consider..i like the v&h shortshots and like the way they sound but i really like the look of the straightshots and i have a feeling they fit the look of my bike more than the shortshots...and if anybody pulls me over i'll just bat my eyes and ask what the matter is
    • 1066 posts
    July 28, 2010 2:49 PM PDT
    Rex is right on the money with some baffling needed. If you don't have some back-pressure, it won't run right without extreme carb mods.