Hot weather riding

• July 24, 2010 2:17 PM PDT
    Had a good little jaunt yesterday. Needed a new tire on the front of the bike. I do a lot of my own maintenance, but not tires on spoked wheels. I've donw a little business with the Kawaskai dealer in Garden City, KS. The ride up in the morning was great - cool enough to have a mesh jacket on when I took off. The ride home was hot - 100 mark or so. It's amazing how riding past an irrigated corn field feels so cool. All in all a nice 250 miles. If we only rode the nice days -we'd never be on our scoots.
  • July 24, 2010 3:00 PM PDT
    Know what ya mean... It's actually been so hot here it's unpleasant to ride! Feels like a blow dryer trying to cook yer skin.
  • July 24, 2010 3:21 PM PDT
    Pour water on your t-shirt. (Good for the ladies too!)

The evap cooling is good for 10-20 miles.

And don't forget to hydrate. Your perspiration will evaporate so fast you won't know how much fluid you're losing

• July 24, 2010 5:15 PM PDT
    Or.. Just run past one of them damn giant lawn sprinklers we have here for irrigation. Just watch it don't blast ya off the bike like a firehose!
    • 567 posts
    July 24, 2010 5:49 PM PDT
    Summer riding in Florida can be a real drain on the system. You feel like you're riding in a convection oven. Its even worse if you're having ride out on the super slab. Although I always try to at least wear a vest, jeans & boots, I can't really blame the guys wearing shorts & sandals on their bikes. I think they're foolish cause something might happen. But I can also understand not wanting to suffer heat exhaustion.
  • g
    July 24, 2010 10:23 PM PDT
    ill gee u some oven glove's ...................lol
  • July 25, 2010 2:16 AM PDT
    Yeah - keeping hydrated is important - drank just about three liters of water on the way back. My boys gave me grief when I put a cupholder on my handlebars. Sure is nice though. Had about twenty miles of new black - I mean black asphalt. Upped the temps a bunch.
    • 6 posts
    July 25, 2010 6:12 AM PDT
    Well we've had some pretty gross hot days in Ohio, worse because of humidity, but we're (not) looking forward to riding in the Phoenix area when we move next year! I have a feling I'll b tuurning one my saddle bags into an ice chest lol!
    • 1516 posts
    July 25, 2010 7:23 AM PDT
    Yesterday we got to go take a nice ride, it was completely spur of the moment. We left the valley around noon, heading up the river, and when we got up to the highway, we passed another biker which we waved to. Got on up a ways and they passed us as we were sight seeing a bit, so we knodded to them again. It was pretty hot down here in the valley, somewhere in the 90s. They rode in front of us for a while, and then turned into the Jamestown Harley dealers. We went on up the hill, and it started to get a little cooler. Whew.. thank goodness! So we just kept going up. We got up to Sonora pass and it was soooooo nice. It was still spring time up there. It is close to 10,000 ft at that point. The ride was just perfect, the weather was nice. I started to notice that we were hitting some clouds that looked like thunderheads. Next thing we know, there was lightning and thunder way on up the hill. Well we didn’t really think too much about it, except that it was pretty cool. So we just kept on going and going. We wanted to go on over to Bridgeport and have some lunch. So then we started to smell the rain, but you could tell it had rained already, as the ground was wet, so we kept going. Next thing you know, we are getting rained on. OUCH! Of course having run out the house, we didn’t even have long sleeve shirts on. And a leather coat? Oh hell no, we had nothing. So we finally gave in turned around and got out of the rain a few miles back down the road.

We saw some deer, we saw those cute little chipmunks scampering around, and spring time on top of a hill in the middle of a hot hot California summer. Oh yeah, and back down the hill a few miles we once again saw our fellow bikers from the valley. They were just getting back on their bike from eating some ice cream at the little mountain store. We all had to laugh at how many times we had run into each other during the day. We introduced ourselves, and of course I had to tell them about Cyclefish.

So back down the hill we came, we stopped a quant little lounge in Strawberry for lunch. Me in all my infinite wisdom decided that I wanted some hot wings. Hello, they call them that for a reason! So after feeling the burn and filling our bellies we took off again. It was getting late by then so we headed out down the hill. Oh boy the farther down the hill the hotter and hotter it got. Heading west, the sun was directly in our face all the way home.

But as always my favorite part of coming home from the mountains is when we leave Oakdale and come in by the irrigated orchards. It is like a spring breezed compared to the heat of the sun in our faces.

Life is much better with little stories of the rides we take!
  • g
    July 25, 2010 8:10 AM PDT
    waz na out the day ,..........was pishing it doon .
  • July 25, 2010 8:33 AM PDT
    When I roll out for Sturgis next Saturday, I'm not looking forward to the ride up the valley. It'll probably be +/- 100 in Redding. It shoulg be cooler where I stop in Alturas. I'd love to get through most of the valley before the heat of the day kicks in even if it means rolling at 0-dark-30.

The desert between SLC and Reno should be a treat on the way back although the elevation and latitude tend to keep it somewhat cooler than the lower deserts.
    • 567 posts
    July 25, 2010 9:20 AM PDT
    My girlfriend & I took a ride today over to Tampa FL to join in on a Christmas In July ride to take toys to the children's hospital over there. It was major hot. We filled up a hospital cart full of toys and the kids came out a few at a time to pick out a toy that caught their eye. And, some also walked around the bikes a bit. Me thinks they were quite a bit fascinated with all the different kinds & colors of bikes. A few of the kids wanted to sit the bikes and have their pictures taken. Its nice to bring a smile to a sick kid's face. I'm sure they hate spending their summer vacation in the hospital.
    On the way back to Central Florida, we came across some bikers in Plant City who reminded us there was a weekend bike fest just south of that town. So ... what the heck .. we took a jaunt a few miles down to where the event was being held at Cowboy's Steakhouse, Saloon & Store. It was actually quite a good sized bike fest going on. Luckily, it was in a stand of oak trees so it wasn't too bad visiting all the vendor tents. Managed to come across one vendor who makes custom doo rags. We ordered one up special for the girlfriend because the standard size is way to big for her. But we'll have to wait until the next Plant CIty Bike Fest to pick it up. We also picked up a few new helmet stickers.
    All in all, even though it was miserable hot, it was a good day.
  • July 25, 2010 10:51 AM PDT
    Thank goodness it finally cooled of some here! First time in almost 2 weeks I've seen the thermometer on the porch under 80 degrees. Including AT NIGHT!!! Maybe I'll take a "hop" tomorrow and not feel like the skin is getting burned off me!
  • July 25, 2010 11:11 AM PDT
    debrajo62 wrote...
    Yesterday we got to go take a nice ride, it was completely spur of the moment. We left the valley around noon, heading up the river, and when we got up to the highway, we passed another biker which we waved to. Got on up a ways and they passed us as we were sight seeing a bit, so we knodded to them again. It was pretty hot down here in the valley, somewhere in the 90s. They rode in front of us for a while, and then turned into the Jamestown Harley dealers. We went on up the hill, and it started to get a little cooler. Whew.. thank goodness! So we just kept going up. We got up to Sonora pass and it was soooooo nice. It was still spring time up there. It is close to 10,000 ft at that point. The ride was just perfect, the weather was nice. I started to notice that we were hitting some clouds that looked like thunderheads. Next thing we know, there was lightning and thunder way on up the hill. Well we didn’t really think too much about it, except that it was pretty cool. So we just kept on going and going. We wanted to go on over to Bridgeport and have some lunch. So then we started to smell the rain, but you could tell it had rained already, as the ground was wet, so we kept going. Next thing you know, we are getting rained on. OUCH! Of course having run out the house, we didn’t even have long sleeve shirts on. And a leather coat? Oh hell no, we had nothing. So we finally gave in turned around and got out of the rain a few miles back down the road.

We saw some deer, we saw those cute little chipmunks scampering around, and spring time on top of a hill in the middle of a hot hot California summer. Oh yeah, and back down the hill a few miles we once again saw our fellow bikers from the valley. They were just getting back on their bike from eating some ice cream at the little mountain store. We all had to laugh at how many times we had run into each other during the day. We introduced ourselves, and of course I had to tell them about Cyclefish.

So back down the hill we came, we stopped a quant little lounge in Strawberry for lunch. Me in all my infinite wisdom decided that I wanted some hot wings. Hello, they call them that for a reason! So after feeling the burn and filling our bellies we took off again. It was getting late by then so we headed out down the hill. Oh boy the farther down the hill the hotter and hotter it got. Heading west, the sun was directly in our face all the way home.

But as always my favorite part of coming home from the mountains is when we leave Oakdale and come in by the irrigated orchards. It is like a spring breezed compared to the heat of the sun in our faces.

Life is much better with little stories of the rides we take!

Thanks for taking me along for the ride Debrajoe. I really enjoyed it!!! 
    • 1516 posts
    July 25, 2010 4:26 PM PDT
    Thanks Deb,, I really wish we lived closer,, I feel like we should really be close friends!!! You are such a special person.. God bless you
  • July 25, 2010 5:09 PM PDT
    debrajo62 wrote...
    Thanks Deb,, I really wish we lived closer,, I feel like we should really be close friends!!! You are such a special person.. God bless you

Thanks Debrajoe!! I'll take all the blessing I can get and give!
     I think we need to start a CF commune so we can all hang together and ride together.
  • July 25, 2010 6:01 PM PDT
    I'm green with envy here cause ya"ll get to ride,, as some of ya k now I'm going thru some tough pain issues however the last test indicated arthritus so that make s sense of all the pain,,,anyhows looks like a few of ya got some prime rsaddle time in ?   I'm gald for ya'll
    RandyJow...Ride Strong....

PS..DebraJo ? saddle bags are for xtra clothes/leathers/stuff in case weather change s hahahaha Love ya but could'nt help it cause your such a weathered biker. ya musta been extra cited bout you r ride 2 4get yer stuff....nother hahahahahahah !
    • 352 posts
    July 25, 2010 11:18 PM PDT
    damn this weekend was hot as hell!

Base temp for both Sat & Sun hit 105, plus heat index it was over 110 around here. it brewed a few nice lightning storms at the end of the days, but no rain for relief.

think my tires were melting on the blacktop...

Today we got a "cold front" it's only gonna be in the mid to upper 90's base temp.

• 1066 posts
    July 25, 2010 11:25 PM PDT
    Dan, you're lucky it didn't rain. It's been in the 90s up here too, but it has rained off and on. The rain made the outdoors feel like a sauna.
    • 1780 posts
    July 25, 2010 11:41 PM PDT
    debrajo62 wrote...

If you girls lived closer then debrajo could help sidetrack mow her grass with the lawn mower from HELL....LOL
  • July 25, 2010 11:57 PM PDT
    Bulldog, I feel yer pain! Remember, yer only a couple hours straight down the road! And I do mean straight down the road! Been dangerously hot here also... I wouldn't even ride. Just stayed in the AC.... When the humidity goes over 90% it's too muggy for me...
  • July 25, 2010 11:59 PM PDT
    And yer right Dragon... If they lived closer together, neither one of them would ever get anything done. They'd be off gallavanting around the countryside!!! Probably looking at "Lawnmowers"????
    • 1516 posts
    July 26, 2010 9:23 AM PDT
    RandyJoe wrote...
    I'm green with envy here cause ya"ll get to ride,, as some of ya k now I'm going thru some tough pain issues however the last test indicated arthritus so that make s sense of all the pain,,,anyhows looks like a few of ya got some prime rsaddle time in ?   I'm gald for ya'll
    RandyJow...Ride Strong....

PS..DebraJo ? saddle bags are for xtra clothes/leathers/stuff in case weather change s hahahaha Love ya but could'nt help it cause your such a weathered biker. ya musta been extra cited bout you r ride 2 4get yer stuff....nother hahahahahahah !

see Randy.. where was that reminder before I ran out the door without anything? 

• 2072 posts
    July 26, 2010 10:06 AM PDT
    Riding here in the valley is like riding into a blast furnace. Cooling vests do help considerably. I have one like this (Just ordered this one for my wife).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190420507121&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT />
  • July 28, 2010 1:57 AM PDT
    OK, call me a wimp, but I bought a cool vest, and they actually work! Best 30 bucks I've spent in a long time. We have had a rash of 100+ days here lately, and I was looking for anything that would be cool when stopped at the longest lights is the world. Soak it in water, wring it out, and wear under a mesh jacket. Stopping for gas, wet and ring out excess water again.