Something I've been seeing a lot this summer!

• July 21, 2010 5:02 AM PDT
    Stator problems!
    I'm assuming it's probably the heat and most of the problem stators are just burning up and thankfully NOT taking the rotar with it.
    There are a few tests to check your stator and that would require a multimeter but the simplest test is unfortunately is when your stator is fried... turn your bike on, note how if everything seems nice and bright like you have a good battery, if so you have a good battery, then hit the starter button and see if your headlights nearly go out, this 'could' mean a bad stator:-)

I've just been seeing an awful lot of this over the summer and thought I'd share just in case you experience a 'starting' problem or you know someone experiencing a starting problem that seems out of the ordinary.
  • July 21, 2010 6:41 AM PDT
    only starter problem i have with my 69 is when my knee goes out
    • 2072 posts
    July 21, 2010 11:55 AM PDT
    That is the only issue I have ever had with my Boulevard. Suzuki did a crappy job when they designed their stator. First one went out and I replaced it with an OEM stator that only lasted about 1 1/2 years. When it went out I replaced it with a Rick's aftermarket stator and rectifier. Everyone on the Suzuki forum says they are the best. Now I'm saving up for a Harley 602 rectifier that is stronger and better made. HOPE no more electrical problems come up !!!!!
    • 19055 posts
    July 21, 2010 12:06 PM PDT
    Yeah, Rex got a new stator a few days ago. Packed inside the inner primary it doesn't really get cooled.
    • 1509 posts
    July 21, 2010 1:06 PM PDT
    There are optional stators to install the biger the stator the more windings to disapate heat from the engine cause magnnetic fields usually donot create heat.
  • July 21, 2010 1:45 PM PDT
    what usually kills a stator is either movement from vibration and heating and cooling of the windings, will eventually cause a wire to break, and a low battery, keeping the battery fully charged is the best way to keep the stators from heating excessively. kohler motors use the same set-up, every time i get a machine in with a dead battery, the stator usually craps shortly afterwards
  • July 22, 2010 12:48 PM PDT
    What Bad Influence said!
    • 19055 posts
    July 22, 2010 6:01 PM PDT
    Sorry Ed, fluctuating magnetic fields are very efficient at creating heat.  In fact they use them in production welding.

Have you ever touched a hot transformer in a power supply? That heat is caused by the fluctuationg field.
    In an EVO inner primary the only cooling is the engine oil and that doesn't bode well for the varnish used as the insulator. As Derek said, a bad battery will kill a stator because it draws more current thus causing heat expansion, in turn (over time) the insulation fails and viola,

ya gets a new stator.
  • September 9, 2010 12:33 PM PDT
    Found out that my stator problem was caused by my deteriorating clutch hub, the little pieces of metal that came from its inner splines got around my rotar and into my stator, completely destroyed my stator. All fixed now $800.00 later, and on my way to Sturgis!?!?!
    • 1066 posts
    September 9, 2010 4:18 PM PDT
    That sure sounds like like a good way to put a damper on a good time, and the billfold.
  • September 9, 2010 6:35 PM PDT
    yeah I spend most of my time looking for parts, gaskets and oil and by the time I was finished we had one day left before we headed home:(