Howdy from Hulett Wyoming

• July 9, 2010 8:14 PM PDT
    Howdy Everyone! I sure hope no one takes offense to my poll right off the bat. I live and work in Hulett Wyoming, home of Hulett Motorcycle Rally; Ham N Jam, No panty Wednesday, whatever you all know us by. I have been struggling for several years to move a direction to make it better here for Bikers. My current point of "OMG intrigue" is advertising and I am faced at every point with "not acceptable". I am having a really hard time believing beautiful women, tastful shots and fabulous scenery can be offensive. Is the Sturgis and Hulett Rally's REALLY moving toward family event because it is what you want? I haven't seen many bikes with sidecars and carseats, OK I haven't seen any, but really, is it an event you want to bring your kids to? We own some prime property, close to 2 acres on the river, right in town and had visions of a Biker Microbrewery, barn style, bring the bikes in if you must, just a spot for friends to gather and enjoy good brew, pit cooked food and entertainment. Burnout, wet T shirt, river tug o war, camping, bit of bull riding, whatever. But I am faced with advertisers right now prohibiting Welcome Biker photos of gals in thong bikinis, they are tasteful, no "private parts" or "private behavior", just sitting on or standing by a Harley out at The Tower. I have concluded if I am not out of line I will publish my own Black Hills Pocket Guide and make them pleasing on the eye and informative. I need help from everyone, if you have a minute, I am really looking for input on just what is offensive and is not offensive to most folks. Again if my poll is offensive, I apologize, I never was good at hedging a subject.  Hope to hear from you!
    • 568 posts
    July 9, 2010 8:25 PM PDT
    hiya and wellcome ta the site from far away Ireland
    some intro ya got there, i'll take a look at the poll
  • July 9, 2010 10:10 PM PDT
    Crazywoman, welcome to CF! Great Site and Great people!

The problem with your advertisers is that they have to think about the longterm customers, which are the family folks of your town. Most are probably hard working responsible people who have a lifetime or at least a life's savings wrapped up in their business. Unfortunately, the responsibilities of running a business are exactly what most view is missing from the biker personna. Shows like Full Throttle Saloon and those yous ee at most rallies acting like they have a free pass to act like an ass and disrespect others and their property; these things are not in the interest of those with business insurance deductibles, long term mom and pop patrons that are their bread and butter and just easy going existence in general. The family atmosphere is more comfortable for business owners because those with families tend to spend more on a week to week basis versus the rowdy, kidless, not a care in the world for a week type of patron. Also, for folks like me, I don't do squat without my kids. That time will come after they are out of the house and i don't want to miss aminute while i got them at home. by the time I do have time alone with my wife, I will no more want to do burnouts and raise hell like that than I do now, waste of money and not enough reward for the day and a half it'll take to recover.

So, I know what you're trying to establish, and I think that would be a good niche, but your going to have to go it alone for the most part because regular businesses that don't cater to bikers don't understand and probably don't want to. You'll probably have to go for advertisers out of town or out of state who could cash in on internet sales from afar and wouldn't be looked upon negatively by your local population and affected financially because of it.

Just my two cents. FWIW
    • 1364 posts
    July 9, 2010 11:02 PM PDT
    Welcome to the ULTIMATE Biker site on the web.....
    • 19034 posts
    July 9, 2010 11:38 PM PDT
    Once again Defcon the wordsmith has put it eloquently. Although I am in the later stage of his life descriptions and agree that the rowdy type hangouts tend to bring the idiot weekenders who can ruin an event. Therefore I understand what your advertisers are doing.
    Best of Luck in your endeavor and I will visit when next I make it to Hulett.
  • July 10, 2010 12:51 AM PDT
    Personally I prefer to see real women with their bikes, than scantily clad little girls sitting astride a bike they can not ride. Maybe thats because I am no longer at the age I would be scantily clad anywhere in public. LOL But, its been so over done it is boring.
    • 21 posts
    July 10, 2010 12:52 AM PDT
    welcome to the site - I love no panty wed's in Hulett - it's a great event - now, I wouldnt exactly call it a family event but to each his own - my 2 cents it you could prop advertise your place without the girls and highlight the the others aspects - micro brew, bull riding, "biker games" - people seem to the love the label "old school" - so maybe throw that in there - I like the sound of what you're trying to do - I'd definately make it a stop on my trip through - best of luck with it and I'll check out your poll too!
    • 1780 posts
    July 10, 2010 3:03 AM PDT
    Guess everyone has at least 2 cents to throw in the pot. DEFCON has a great point, and I can tell ya from knowing him everything he write's is well throught out ahead of time. I think Sidetrack has a good point as well. I tell ya I have see some drop dead smoking hot women on bikes with all there clothes on. I said many times on this site ....there is nothing hotter than a chick on a bike. Make it real, find real women Bikers for your posters. Another sponser you might check with is beer or schol (maybe not spelled correctly) snuff people. Check with local Bike shops...etc.
    I hope this works out, because it sounds like a cool place to visit.

Night Dragon
    • 467 posts
    July 10, 2010 3:45 AM PDT
    Wyomingite!!! I was beginning to think I was the only one here! I am just down the road in Newcastle.
    I am also one of the "original" ABATE members that started the "Ham n Jam" more than 20 years ago with the judge. Back when it was just 20 or 30 of us and a roast pig. I avoid it like the plague now, just because of the idiots that don't know how to drive on those little 2 lane twisties--last time I went, I barely avoided a 32 bike pile-up with only 2 deaths.
    I think your advertisers are objecting to the "thong"--we are in "conservative christian rancher" territory after all. Look at all the beer ads and such and you will see that all of those women that are suggestively draped over the bikes and such are clothed. Hard to imagine--but they are! You don't really notice it though because they are beautiful and they are draped over the bikes in such a way to activate the imagination. So give it another shot with some re-vamped pics and I bet it will sail through.
  • July 10, 2010 1:48 PM PDT
    Have been to many "rallies" over the last 50 years of ridin and I can tell you that the majority of them are over hyped with the naked gal thing - It's one of the reasons I like CF - it is family oriented - also most of the rallies are an excuse to see how much brew ya can drink and still function. Been there and done that when I was a kid but now a few friends and a good campfire are what I am lookin for at the end of a perfect riding day. With maybe a tall one in my hand or not.
    • 1161 posts
    July 10, 2010 2:45 PM PDT
    Most people that know me personally I like Boobies  (but who don't).  It is nice to see you taking the initive in doing this having never gotten the chance to go to a rally of any kind.  I think it is great you want to get the community there involved into it aswell! 

I Salute you! 

Seakers
  • July 13, 2010 9:25 AM PDT
    Welcome from Montana. Will be in your little town for no panties Wed next month.As for the poll...none of what you have said would bother me in the least! Advertisers have a much smaller view! Good luck whatever you do,see ya next month!
    • 1066 posts
    July 13, 2010 10:07 AM PDT
    Welcome to the site, from Ohio. I have to roll with the others on this. This is a more " Mature " bunch on this site. I have nothing against seeing a pretty girl on a bike. I really don't see where thongs, and nudity is necessary in advertising though.