Ideas needed

• June 29, 2010 2:09 AM PDT
    As most of you might have read in the thread "Help Needed" I need to find £5000 for drugs to treat a brain tumour due to the fact that the NHS in my area dont subscibe it.

So I was thinking that maybe I could do some sort of sponsored event to raise the cash, now taking into account that I'm not really at peak condition, I was wondering can anyone think of something I can do ( and barring the usual drink till you drop )

If I can come up with the cash it means that when I have the operation to remove the tumor I(have a 90% chance that the op WON'T effect my eyesight without the drug it goes down to 55%.
    What the drug does is calcify the tumor to make extraction a lot easier and considering that it on my visual cortex you can see why the op is so tricky.

Any ideas within reason
  • June 29, 2010 3:34 AM PDT
    If you find a local bike shop in your area, explain your situation, I'd bet they would be glad to help you out in your area. I don't know your location, but since the currency you listed was pounds, I HOPE EVERY AMERICAN reads this guys letter and his delima. Government run healthcare IS NOT the answer to our problems.
    • 467 posts
    June 29, 2010 3:42 AM PDT
    I agree with that one! But I also agree with contacting your local chapters of riders groups. Most likely through the local dealership. Explain your situation and I am sure that they could organize a benefit poker run, auction, or rodeo to help raise money.
  • June 29, 2010 7:02 AM PDT
    errr not a lot of chapters where I live

and HogHaven NHS is quite good 99% of the time
    • 413 posts
    June 29, 2010 7:23 AM PDT
    Talk to g, maybe he can help ya get started. He has taken on a fundraising mission fer one of his friends and I'm sure has learned a lot as to the in's and out's of fundraisings and would be willing to pass on any info that may be helpful and he's in yer neck of the woods in Scotland; besides that he's a NUMBER 1 A OK Brother ( A bit of a goober) but A OK...LOL. Also check with local hospitals, charity orginazations, TV/Radio stations, do internet searches through the various search engines pertaining to yer disease and see if ya can find some help there. Hope you find the answer Bro.

Gotta agree with the others though; don't care how much care NHS renders; It ain't the ticket, if it was then all the rich elitist, politicians of the international community wouldn't be coming to America to have their medical needs taken care of...JMHO...Best to ya man, praying all will be well.
    • 1780 posts
    June 29, 2010 7:47 AM PDT
    NumberGuy what if you gave us your address (if you don't have a problem with that) and we could send you items from the United States, so you could have like a yard sale. I'm not talking like junk type items, but upper end items that could bring some real money. Not just bike stuff but items from each state in America. Just roll it around in your head for a while and let us know. I have some very cool stuff I could send, and I know others would help as well.
    • 1516 posts
    June 29, 2010 8:12 AM PDT
    That's a great idea Dragon, but don't you think the shipping would cut out a lot of profit.. maybe it could be post something of value on Ebay that the proceeds would go toward helping him. Just a thought.
  • June 29, 2010 11:46 AM PDT
    Been thinking about how I could do this myself and have started to print bumper/fenderstickers basicaly I can take any photo and a message and print them on the sticker.

for example:

I can even do t-shirts transfers with whatever picture and text you want.........
  • June 29, 2010 3:19 PM PDT
    Love the bumper stickers. I'd be happy to order some.
  • g
    June 30, 2010 7:47 AM PDT
    u have a few gid things up and flying about ...i like the stickers n t-shirt idea .£5000 is a fair bit o cash bro ,u can do whit im doing .....have a fun night at the pub ,have a camp trip and charge folks about £5 for the night have a bit of live music at the camp site .then have a family fun day .....u can do all theis over one weekend ,see if their is a local charity that can help then u can hand out some charity tins and u can make it an organised run for bikers and charge £5 per bike ...loads u can do .but u cant rush this ,take ur time ,and dont give up like i almost did a few times ...good luck bro ,pm if u need any help with this .
  • June 30, 2010 9:38 AM PDT
    well I'm not long outta the forces and as such don't know a lot of people here and I done a search for local bike clubs and came up empty. All I need is people to spread the word about the stickers and T-Shirt transfers and I could raise the amount in no time.

Stickers are 8" x 2"

$4-00 + $2.00 postage
    £3.00 + £1.50

Transfers are 10" x 8"
    $6.00 + $2.00
    £4.00 + £1.50

all payments to made through PayPal to keep everything safe and legal

Payments to be made to numberguy(at)hotmail(dot)com

• g
    June 30, 2010 6:53 PM PDT
    sure the folks in northern irland wid help .see if ur local bike shop can sell some of the stickers n t-shirts for u bro ..??
  • July 1, 2010 7:00 AM PDT
    ahh good idea, got 1 local bike shop the rest are pretty far away, it's a bit small but hey if I sell just a few then that's less money to worry about.

Thanks G
  • July 2, 2010 4:26 AM PDT
    Good News

Just got a cheque for £2500 from my old Platoon wooooot

Numb is a HAPPY HAPPY BUNNY
    • 1780 posts
    July 2, 2010 4:30 AM PDT
    I like the bumper stickers....let me know it you go with them
    • 1780 posts
    July 2, 2010 4:35 AM PDT
    I don't think you were around the CF Family when I started the Bikers for a Safer Society concept.......check out below what it is about and what the patch looks like.

Bikers For a Safer Society…Protecting The Innocent
    It happens way too often, and dominates too much TV news air time. …..
    Person beat up and robed as shoppers watch without helping. Old lady mugged and left for dead as two males attack her in parking lot, as shocked holiday shopper’s watch. Our Society has become a Society of people that has lost all interest in helping others. No one wants to get involved any more, and that saddens me. My cause is a just cause, and a simple concept to understand.” START GETTING INVOLVED” when wrong doings are committed against members of our society.
    I’m not advocating forming vigilante groups to cruse the streets looking for crimes in progress. I’m saying if you witness a crime being committed get involved, maybe by only providing a description of the suspect or a license plate number to the police. If you feel you need to get involved physically then do so; however I don’t want to see anyone get their ass kicked unnecessarily.
    We as Bikers are a large Brotherhood, and cover a lot of ground while riding, and come in contact with a lot of people on a daily basis. Just be vigilant and on alert for wrong doings, and be prepared to act if necessary.
    This is my simple mission, my cause, and my hope for a Safer Society.

The Night Dragon
    Proud Viet Nam Vet. 1970 - 1971
    Arlington Texas
  • July 2, 2010 4:37 AM PDT
    all I need is people to send me a pic of their bike (or whatever they want added) , highest res the better and what text they want added. Then I can start the work.
  • July 2, 2010 4:39 AM PDT
    Yea sure you sent me some and I ended up having to get more printed due to demand.

One of the best things ever.
    • 1780 posts
    July 2, 2010 4:55 AM PDT
    There is nothing like being hated..........by the BAD GUYS
    Dragon and Jesse will Rock the BAD GUYS World !!!

How does that grab ya?

• g
    July 2, 2010 5:25 AM PDT
    aye ,dragon's a top bloke he's sure to help u dude .
  • July 2, 2010 7:26 AM PDT
    Hi Tom,

You have a package on the way to you!! Enjoy and take care!!
  • July 2, 2010 3:08 PM PDT
    ohhh nice avatar and thanks again send me bike pic and some text and Ill send ya a sticker as way of thanks.
  • July 2, 2010 4:24 PM PDT
    @NightDragon