Need help with modifying seat

• May 26, 2010 2:58 PM PDT
    I just got a Mustang vintage solo seat and it is too wide in the front.  I know that there was a threat that discussed this topic but I cant find it.  We need some advise.  Has anyone shaved one of these seats down?  I like the shape of the seat an d it is comfortable to sit on but hurts my inner thigh when I put my feet down. I would like to modify it to fit but am unsure how to go about it.  Any advise is welcome.
  • May 26, 2010 3:25 PM PDT
    i had the seat on my bagger shaved, it helped alot with my short legs reaching the ground.
    • 19049 posts
    May 26, 2010 11:50 PM PDT
    I have never done it myself, but as Bad Influence said it will help. There are shops that will do it for you. I will ask my friend, who had it done, where it is.
  • May 27, 2010 12:25 AM PDT
    You can shave the foam down as long as it doesn't have an integrated gel pad. When we had our aircraft refurb facility we did interior and upholsterty as well. Most of the contouring for custom lumbar supports or just custom fitting to the crews needs was done with a black and decker electric carving knife. YES, the one you use to cut meat with...LOL.

Just need to peel the covering back and trim with the electric carver to the desired contour. We always had one person hold the tail of what was being removed while the other carved. Let the knife do the work and don't try to force it through the foam. Take a little off at a time and feel the foam on both sides to get it to match L to R.

When you replace the cover you will have a little slack in that area that will have to be pulled tighter than the rest. Replace with original covering fasteners, or if glued you can pick up 3M Trim adhesive in aerosol spray at any NAPA parts store. You'll want the super adhesive strength. Spray a little on the back of the covering, then on the base of the seat where it is to be anchored. Give it a few to tack up a little and for the solvents in the adhesive to flash off then stick them together and rub down smooth. Do not spray too much on the inside of the covering as the solvents in the adhesive will soak through and cause it to pucker up. AND, don'tspray it on the area of the covering that contacts the foam on the inside or it will not allow it to slide and flex under the covering with movement while you ride and will put uncomfortable wrinkles in the seat foam when you sit on it instead of it just compressing under the covering.

CF member SKY cut down the stock seat on her Dyna and it worked very well for her. I can send a pic of the trim adhesive if you need it. I think I still have a can in the garage.
  • May 27, 2010 12:41 AM PDT
    i have shaved down a couple of seats and did it just as DEFCON has described but i also used a very course sandpaper, and by hand, smooth out any ridges left by the carving knife
  • May 27, 2010 4:42 AM PDT
    In addition to the sandpaper as Bullmoose said you can place thin sheets of scrim foam over it before recovering to smooth it out if there are any areas sandpaper doesn't cure and you don't want to risk taking too much off with more corrective carving. Scrim comes 1/8 to 1/4 thickness, is very soft, provides no support to speak of but evens out the job and makes it look baby butt smooth. Some will use adhesive and attach the scrim directly to the covering but I wouldn't recommend it as it causes the scrim the abrade against the seat foam and causes it to crumble over time from movement.
  • May 28, 2010 2:20 AM PDT
    Wow thanks for the great in put! We had a local resource we did not at first think of.A friend who does furnature and it turns out has done a number of motorcycle seats(her son rides).They are hooking us up!When we dropped the seat off she also gave us several packages of fresh farm raised pork....dont get that at a city shop lol!