Any of you ride with your kids?

• 58 posts
    August 27, 2010 3:23 PM PDT
    I wanted to get one of those little bikes for the kids. My wife wouldn't let me. She said something about them learning to walk first...
    • 23 posts
    August 27, 2010 3:31 PM PDT
    RufCut wrote...
    I have a pic of my oldest at 2yrs riding the tank in front of me ( around the yard only). Have ridden with all 3 kids since they could reach pegs. Now all 3 grown and all 3 ride their own bikes. The best way to encourage the sport...start 'em when they're young. So yea, go for it...

My husband drives my 1 year old, and 3 year old up and down the road like this.

I am ademant on waiting until we have a "road couch", and they can hold on properly and understand what it means. But as long as they got themselves a helmet, I'm good.

A little different view, I ride with my dad, but not behind him. I love riding with my parents. It's a great feeling to run beside my father. Makes me proud, and make me feel like he's proud of me. Can't beat that.
    • 23 posts
    August 27, 2010 3:33 PM PDT
    RufCut wrote...
    I wanted to get one of those little bikes for the kids. My wife wouldn't let me. She said something about them learning to walk first...

HAHAHA!! Yeah, that has been my stipulation as well. Also, I'm holding fast to them being able to master the powerwheel prior to getting them little bikes.
    • 1066 posts
    August 27, 2010 5:43 PM PDT
    My Oldest is my daughter. Her mother and I rode when she was about 3or 4 years old. I would put her in front of me, and put a belt around her, and through my belt. She would ride maybe a mile, and be sound asleep. She looked pretty cute, sitting there in her helmet, hanging on to the gas cap. Ah, those were the days.
  • September 5, 2010 4:00 PM PDT
    My wife and I let our kids ride with us.  They have been doing it for years now.  We even have a cute pink leather jacket for my daughter.   Both my son  and daughter wear protective gear.  We have these harnesses that they sit in and the harnesses strap around us.  My son is now 7 and my daughter is 5. 
    • 58 posts
    September 5, 2010 4:29 PM PDT
    That is all soo cool! The stuff we did 25-30 years ago we couldn't even think of today.
  • September 6, 2010 2:35 AM PDT
    My son was a young teen when I got my bike, and he likes riding with me. Now he's grown some more and between the two of us, we mash my bike pretty well. He really needs his own bike, and someday that may happen. Riding is a great way for parents and kids to have a great time.
    • 114 posts
    September 6, 2010 7:49 AM PDT
    My daughter is 22 and never knew that I ever rode until last summer when I got back into it. She thought I was crazy when I bought my Shadow. As far as I know she is not interested in riding, cause she's at the stage of life where I'm as dumb as dirt and don't know anything!!! LOL.... Of course it was the same way with horses too. I always rode(since I was about 6 months old) and bought her one when she was 3 - absolutely no interest til she was 7 ! Had to be her idea, I guess.... If she ever starts on my Shadow, I might as well move on to another bike and let her have it. Hey not a bad reason to get another bike, huh? I like that idea.......
  • September 16, 2010 6:25 AM PDT
    My oldest loves to take rides with me, but just so she can show off to her friends. I would never take her on a long ride, I don't think she'd have the patience for it. But she does love to ride across town smiling and waving at everyone:-)
    • 158 posts
    September 16, 2010 7:52 AM PDT
    unfortunately I live in the Police province of Ontario where they are trying to make it illegal to ride with your kids..... the bill they are trying to pass will not allow children under the age of 16 on a motorcycle........ my grandson loves to ride............been fighting this bill actively for the past two years. So those of you that have the privelige of letting their kids ride...... ride on!!!
    • 25 posts
    September 25, 2010 5:28 AM PDT
    Believe it or not, my son is a senior in high school. His favorite thing is to have me, his mom, show up in front of the school on my bike and pick him up.

He LOVES the attention... "DUDE! Is THAT your MOM?"

LOL!

• September 26, 2010 7:46 AM PDT
    My daughter (15) loves to go for rides-- havent gone for any long ones yet--- my son (13) is as big as i am- he likes to ride too- but its funny- 2 adult males runnin down the road on the fatboy- quite a sight im sure!
    • 58 posts
    September 26, 2010 2:42 PM PDT
    Dabonman02, You are out spending time with your kids and introducing them to something you enjoy. If someone else thinks something is funny with that, where are their kids, and into what>? Power to you! I'm not ashamed to ride with my 25 year old son on his Intruder. Driving or passenger, although his pillion gets real hard real quick.