Road King Handle Bar advice

• 33 posts
    May 4, 2010 7:30 AM PDT
     Hey all!
     I have been riding bikes all my life and last weekend I purchased a 2000 Road King Classic. It came with Apes on it and I am not sure I want to keep them. I am 5'-8" on a good day and I am thinking that I would have more control if I changed the bars to a Heritage Softail bar. What are you opinions on this. I am sure that many of you have had the same or similar issues. Safe riding everyone!!!
  • May 4, 2010 7:33 AM PDT
    Heritage bars are nice but I had a set on a Road King that were great. I think they were 9" rise and 13 or 14" pull back. The beach bars are good also.
    • 1780 posts
    May 4, 2010 7:39 AM PDT
    Hey Dualsport I'm 5'8" myself and I have 12 1/2 inch apes on the Dragon, and I love em!!!
    Night Dragon
    • 1364 posts
    May 4, 2010 7:42 AM PDT
    On My RK I have the Chubby II bars and they are great, On Deeners RK she has the Heritage bars and loves them. She is maybe 5'3" so it makes the reach nice for her, I'm almost 6' and my bars fit me perfect.......
    • 33 posts
    May 4, 2010 7:57 AM PDT
    Hey HighRisk. Does Deener have a lowering kit on her RK? I am thinking of shaving the seat so I can get an inch or two more foot on the ground. Nightdragon, the 12" apes would probably work a bit better than the 100"ers on mine! lol
  • May 4, 2010 8:01 AM PDT
    Beautiful ride!!! Beach bars are worth trying out. Just my humble opinion.
    • 1780 posts
    May 4, 2010 11:13 AM PDT
    Dualsport wrote...
     Hey all!
     I have been riding bikes all my life and last weekend I purchased a 2000 Road King Classic. It came with Apes on it and I am not sure I want to keep them. I am 5'-8" on a good day and I am thinking that I would have more control if I changed the bars to a Heritage Softail bar. What are you opinions on this. I am sure that many of you have had the same or similar issues. Safe riding everyone!!!

Bad Ass looking ride......leave it the way it is
    Dragon
  • May 4, 2010 11:32 AM PDT
    Go to the show room floor and start feeling them out.. Talk to the tech and get measured. They would have the list of fits for you.
    • 1364 posts
    May 5, 2010 1:54 AM PDT
    Dualsport wrote...
    Hey HighRisk. Does Deener have a lowering kit on her RK? I am thinking of shaving the seat so I can get an inch or two more foot on the ground. Nightdragon, the 12" apes would probably work a bit better than the 100"ers on mine! lol

Yip sure does, We lowered it 2" in the rear and put a Sundowner Solo seat....  She loves it..... Set her down and moved her forward....

• 19043 posts
    May 5, 2010 2:20 AM PDT
    Rex's stock bars were killing my neck ( I had a neck injury) and only lasted two days. I went to 12" wide glide apes for two years. Still not comfortable for an all day ride so I then put 16" chubby apes on and it is perfect for me. I also am 5'8". The only problem, and not a big one, is in tight parking situations it can be a bit of a reach when going to full left or right.Rex is also lowered 1.5" front and back. To put it simply I like the way he is set up.

A good friend of mine has a Heritage and on my recommendation he replaced his stock bars with 12" wide glide apes and loves it, and even more another good friend put the same 12" wide glide bars on his 98 King and loves them as well. The apes put your wrists and shoulders in a very natural alignment.

• May 5, 2010 3:51 AM PDT
    Make sure whatever you choose to get the thicker inch and a quarter bars so you can run your wiring internal and clean up the look. You won't regret it.

What ever you decide on it's all good.
    • 1040 posts
    May 5, 2010 6:12 AM PDT
    The 1 1/4" bars???? These bars will hold the stock hand grips? Is that correct? Also, because they are 1/4" larger at the riser clamp, does that mean the riser/clamp needs replaced as well to fit the extra 1/4" or do they fit?

I have 1" Flanders Superglide bars on mine with a 12" pullback for my short arms but they angle dowen about 45 degrees which feels great but I'm not overly excited about the look though as I said, they are comfy. Been thinkin of 10" mini apes with a 10" pullback and the standard 90 degree angle of the bars and like the idea of hideing the wires but not sure about the stock hand grips and riser/clamp fit? Sorry if I hijacked your thread here dualsport; don't mean too but since were talking ape's I was hopeing you'd give me a bit of room....Thanks Bro.
    • 1780 posts
    May 5, 2010 6:18 AM PDT
    I have to roll with Rex on this one .....I love my 12 1/2 inch chubby's......besides I think they look cool as shit!!!
    Dragon
    • 33 posts
    May 5, 2010 6:19 AM PDT
    No problem fxrdude! It's all good. This is all good info! Carry on! You have a very good question.
  • May 5, 2010 11:01 AM PDT
    fxrdude wrote...
    The 1 1/4" bars???? These bars will hold the stock hand grips? Is that correct? Also, because they are 1/4" larger at the riser clamp, does that mean the riser/clamp needs replaced as well to fit the extra 1/4" or do they fit?

I have 1" Flanders Superglide bars on mine with a 12" pullback for my short arms but they angle dowen about 45 degrees which feels great but I'm not overly excited about the look though as I said, they are comfy. Been thinkin of 10" mini apes with a 10" pullback and the standard 90 degree angle of the bars and like the idea of hideing the wires but not sure about the stock hand grips and riser/clamp fit? Sorry if I hijacked your thread here dualsport; don't mean too but since were talking ape's I was hopeing you'd give me a bit of room....Thanks Bro.

Depends on the manufacture of the bars.  I've used Wild One Chubbies on both my bikes.  They are tapered to the stock 1 inch so you don't have to change risers.  And yeah all I've seen so far are made to fit stock size hand grips on the ends.

The pic of my blue heritage is with the 12 1/2 inch Chubby Apes and I have the first set Wild One made back in 2008 made to fit the new Street Glides with the electronic throttle.  Had the powder coated black of course.

• 513 posts
    May 5, 2010 12:14 PM PDT
    NO! NO! NO! DON'T GET RIDE OF THE APES!
    I run 20" apes on a night train and love them and I am only 5' 9 short!

For the love of God man don't, you will only end up wanting to put them back on!
    • 33 posts
    May 6, 2010 1:42 AM PDT
    Dyna...I hear what your sayin' man. I have to say that the more I ride it, the less "stange" they feel to me. I just need to put some time in on the current set up before I make any rash decisions. I rode it this morning to the office and it is SWEEET! OH...two things! One: What grade of Gasoline do y'all run? I'm thinking premium. Two: That kickstand is freakin' me out a bit. I was real concerned but I just checked it well and found that it does have a locking pin on the kickstand that keeps it from rolling forward.
    • 834 posts
    May 6, 2010 6:18 AM PDT
    You know, you may want to ride it for a bit before making the decision to change the bars. I always thought from just looking at ape hangers that it would be uncomfortable to ride with your arms up like that. But after having a Dyna with apes for a bit, I found them actually to be pretty nice, even on the longer rides. But like anything that has to do with your riding position, go with what you are comfortable with and that will most likely be the safest.
  • May 25, 2010 8:28 AM PDT
    I just put 18 inch chubby's on my dyna . . . . I'm 5'9 with my boots on . I really like em !!
    • 844 posts
    May 25, 2010 8:54 AM PDT
    So Dualsport, what did you decide to go with?
    • 33 posts
    June 2, 2010 12:41 AM PDT
    Gofur...I have had the chance to ride quite a bit lately. I have gotten used to the apes and have decided to keep them...at least for now. I have had the same experience as AzRider has. I just needed to get used to them. I'm ready for the road trip now!!!! Ride safe all!!!!
    • 1780 posts
    June 2, 2010 1:41 AM PDT
    Good decision