Attitude

• August 20, 2010 12:14 AM PDT
    Well said, we have all seen these individuals who just write the check. Plenty of them here in the Austin area.
  • August 20, 2010 12:23 AM PDT
    gecko wrote...
    Well said, we have all seen these individuals who just write the check. Plenty of them here in the Austin area.

that is part of why i left austin years ago. didn't quite "fit in"
  • August 20, 2010 12:55 AM PDT
    If a person owns a bike, thats parts were all made on a CNC machine, it's NOT old school. The bikes built in garages, with the help of family & friends, like you mentioned are old school. The bikes that have small things like a hammered in a vice bracket, painted in wrinkle finish to cover the tool marks. That's old school. There is absolutely NOTHING old school about a $30,000 bike, bolted together by someone that had all the parts made by a computer operated milling machine.
    • 1780 posts
    August 23, 2010 1:35 AM PDT
    As always I love reading DEFCON's post, and this one ment a lot more to me in that now that I've met DEFCON, Harley Mama, and the little DEFCON's I appreciated it even more. Let me say DEFCON in my mind is the kind of guy you would love to live next door to. He will teach you, he know's how to listen to you, one of the most giving persons I think I've ever met. Damn good at wiring trailer lights as well. I feel like I'm a better person just for having had the chance to meet the DEFCON family.
    Oh yea and as for DEFCON's home built scooter......it's a sweet ride, and will run like a bat out of hell.
    Thanks DEFCON for the post, and keep em coming.
    Sorry I've been missing of late but the work is keeping me busy.
    Dragon
    • 1066 posts
    August 23, 2010 7:59 AM PDT
    Well just remember Kenny, " All Work And No Play Makes The NIGHTDRAGON A Dull Boy "
    • 0 posts
    August 23, 2010 7:52 PM PDT
    Well this is refreshing to say the least. I was just lucky enough to spend a few days with CF family in sturgis and came away thinking shit how easy is it to have fun with these people. Im really glad ive found this site because ive found so far that the majority of people here are just like my missus and i, we just love bikes and riding.Ok i know the people who i hung with in sturgis think im a total ******* nutter but thats just me. I just think its cool that the posers and the wankers hang on some other site.AnywAys despite the obvious travel issues i dont think ive come across anyone so far on the site that wouldnt be welcome in my house to share a beer or 20 with my missus and i.Defcon cool story mate we have those wankers down here too, but they dont ussually ride with us coz we dont carry polishing rags when we ride.....Keep the shiney shit up and the black sticky shit down.....Your ugly southern CF cousin(the one the rest of the CF dont talk about) BOOF THE CRAZY AUSSIE
  • August 23, 2010 8:18 PM PDT
    great story and unfortunately becoming a common problem
  • October 18, 2010 5:19 PM PDT
    (continuation of the opening post in this thread)

Just wanted to bump this back up in lieu of the West Coast Chopper announcement. For, the aforementioned douche that inspired this thread rode one.

The season has come to the point that it is getting uncomfortable for some to ride, and others are donning the cold weather gear to continue the “ride”, but certainly the momentum of the season is waning and giving cause to reflect on what has transpired.

We spent an entire summer on the born again machines we spent the winter whipping back in shape and it was a summer to be remembered for myself and my wife. Starting out with the Bowling Green meet and greet, which was a surprising shift in my personal experience with meeting people in general, this season has been an experience of personal fulfillment and the acquiring of friends that I’m sure will be the litmus of our future endeavors. During these great experiences there were moments that held discussion with my wife and I about what others may be thinking when they look at our bikes. They are, for certain, not going to turn heads like a West Coast Chopper, but they turn my head every time I swing out the kickstand and walk away. Sometimes I’m looking back to ensure I remembered to turn off the fuel petcock, or to see if there is oil dripping from the aircleaner because I haven’t yet figured out how to keep it from being vacuumed through the crankcase breather valve. But no matter why I am looking back, I’m smiling when I look away for the reasons penned in the opening of this thread.

Sometimes I think it’s because I know my little Sportster is a temperamental bitch that has her way me in the manifestation of a drip that will haunt me until it is remedied, or some other little thing I want to change or get rid of to clean up her lines. I think she knows I look forward to putting my hands on her again and what that will do in the way of forcing some time in the garage with the family, and since our soul is in her and my wife’s Sporty, they are attempting to reseed our collective souls as well.

I, for one, am in agreement with those who are expressing relieved sentiments toward the receding fascination of the “build-a-bear” choppers. They have inexorably diluted the chopper. Not by virtue of them being sold en masse, but because bikes of this caliber used to be built and owned by those of a severely disciplined nature. It took skill, focus, drive, sacrifice, patience and a willingness to fail repeatedly to produce something like what we’ve seen on television. And, since they were forged from the blood, sweat and testicular fortitude of someone who possessed those qualities, they were not relented without great anguish and contemplation. Along comes the CNC, the made in china “syndrome” and the reduction in price of the types of technology and equipment that put the english wheel in the realm of antiquated relevance.

Anyone, and I mean ANYONE, can now have one of these machines. The only requirement now is “do you have the money”. Not “do you have the patience to develop the skill and the discipline to apply it and spend the time it takes to actually produce one of these”? Having the ability to load up the CNC with the properly engineered CAD and hitting the Start button and then bolting it on the magazine bought frame is a far cry from the “Hand built” custom chopper. An automated tubing bender is a far cry from the experience of heating it with a torch and utilizing the nearest non-flammable “that looks round enough” thing in the garage.

Now I’m not saying there is anything wrong with having the scratch to buy one. Absolutely nothing wrong with that! BUT, money now being the only qualifier (and technology making it more affordable than ever) has opened the world of superb custom choppers to those who did not have the character to obtain one before. You were either really rich and got one because you competed with other really rich folks to get one once they were completed (because they weren’t being turned out like pez dispensers and commanded a respectable waiting list), or you had to roll up your sleeves and teach yourself all the many facets and disciplines of creating one yourself and then actually get on with the task of doing it.

With that came the deluge of assholes twisting throttles, and natural selection has not been able to keep up with the droves of idiots now straddling things they shouldn’t.

I’m just sayin”…..
    • 844 posts
    October 19, 2010 4:59 AM PDT
    Couldn't agree more. That's why my bike is about 1/2 of where I want it to be...I haven't learned how to do the other stuff I want to do yet.
    • 58 posts
    October 20, 2010 4:44 AM PDT
    Yup, with you all. I couldn't afford to build from scratch so got something I can work with. We will see how she evolves.
    • 9 posts
    October 26, 2010 10:11 AM PDT
    No matter how long you've been riding, you know one. I don't care if you drove your bike off the showroom floor this afternoon, you know one.

We all know this guy. You've seen him, no doubt have heard him, and the accompanying litany of bullshit which marks his ever-presence. And it is unfortunate for even the hardiest souls out there, those who have been around for more than a minute, that we keep havin' to run into him. 

But there is light at the end of the tunnel, because just as soon as you ask 'this guy" who he rides with, he starts to look a little uncomfortable. And, say, you are with a "group", and ya'll are saddling up to go anywhere, "this guy" conveniently disappears. He only has "skill" when he rides alone.
    So, if "this guy" happens to be around, when ya'll are out and about, smile and wave. Cause we all know him, we just choose to ride on......without him.
    Ride Free   Tweek
  • October 26, 2010 11:07 AM PDT
    Well said all of you! I whole heartedly agree with your comments. If i never see another A-hole on a 40 thousand chopper again I'll be a happy camper. My idiot neighbor bought a big dog last year and overnight turned into a "BIKER", you know the kind. Well i talked to him the other day and he was asking me if I knew anyone who wanted to buy his bike LOL. He told me the bike was not made for riding long distances, and i said really! Maybe its just you who does'nt want to ride a long way. And then I told him I had a friend who had 60K plus on a 2007 bike just like his. All of you on cycle fish who build your own bikes and even those of you who just modify what you ride I salute all of you!! Stop by for a shot of Jack when you are near by So. Cal.
  • November 11, 2010 1:32 PM PST
    WOW that guy is amazing.Ill never understand what makes people think they are better than other people or that because they own something nice it makes them better.I have loved every bike i ever owned and i was proud of it even if it was an older bike.I love seeing other peoples bike because it tells about their personality and even if the bike wasnt my taste im just happy the person has a ride he loves.Thats what its all about.being able to ride on the bike YOU love.