Patched vests for non-mc related club?

• 2 posts
    May 9, 2019 7:23 AM PDT
    Hello,

I am in planning to start a casual, non-motorcycle related club and planning on using patched leather vests as a sort of uniform, and way to show achievements with patches within the club on the vests.

The intention is to have members wear them for club events, which would primarily be barbeques and cookouts at public parks, fund raisers and other such events. Tough there may be members who ride, this is not a mc club, and we would not be showing up anywhere as a group of riders, nor would we have meetings in mc bars, etc.

There would be a large patch on the back with no rockers, possibly surrounded by smaller patches for various decoration and patches on the front to identify status, etc.

I have considered other types of uniform, ranging from t-shirts to jackets to colored fabric vests and/or sashes, but patching t-shirts seems silly, jackets would be too hot and the rest makes me think of boy scouts or Shriners or something, not the vibe I am aiming for.

I understand that patched vests or cuts are a large part of mc culture, and I am curious to know your opinions on whether or not this would be considered an intrusion under this circumstance.

Thanks.
    • 5419 posts
    May 9, 2019 8:26 AM PDT

To some, wearing a patched leather vest may appear that you are trying to look like or immitate a motorcycle club or biker and you may get some smirks, however if you follow a few simple guidelines of respect for actual motorcycle club patches you should be okay.

Typically motorcycle clubs have a very specific layout for their back patch consisting of the club logo in the center, a top rocker with the club name and a bottom rocker with the club or chapter location (other patches on the back of the vest may include a "M/C" and/or "1%" patch).  You definately want to stay away from this layout or anything close to it.  I would also recommend that you do not use a design or color scheme that is similar to that of any motorcycle club in your area or any well known national club.

• 2 posts
    May 9, 2019 12:21 PM PDT
    Thanks for the insight Lucky.
    • 19007 posts
    May 9, 2019 2:08 PM PDT

Yeah, What he said!

• 1 posts
    May 9, 2019 10:04 PM PDT

Rex and Lucky gave the correct advise as they alway do.