Ever came across a bike that been neglected?

• 8 posts
    May 11, 2017 6:24 PM PDT

Ever had a bike or seen a bike that been badly modified or negelected? That what exactly I inherited when I got my bike. When I bought it, the front end was changed out to make it into a Road King,even thoough she is an Electra Glide. The PO had rip off the fairings,cut up the wiring,and apparently gave it road rash under the hard bags and never changed the fluids. It's been painstakeningly slow fixing all the gremlins with this bike. So far I had to replace the E-Igniton module,brake pads,fix what ever wiring possible with what a have at the moment and change the fluids. Next I have to replace the tires,front brakes components,carb,and engine mount. Geez all the fun I am having. She still get down the road fine for a 20 y old bike,so can't complain too badly but makes you wonder why would anyone neglect such a pretty machine like that. 

This post was edited by CalamityJoe at May 11, 2017 6:29 PM PDT
  • May 14, 2017 4:28 AM PDT

Sounds like you have a rolling basket case.....hope you got it cheep.

Best of luck and hang  in there

Night Dragon

• 5420 posts
    May 14, 2017 7:44 AM PDT

Not sure why anyone buys a bike and neglects it... especially a bike that is not that cheep in the first place.  However I have know a few people that have picked up some neglected bikes and made really nice machines out of them.  You just have to be able to evaluate the bike and make sure the amount of $$ you need to put into it do not exceed what it would have cost to buy one ready-to-go.

The flip side is, if you can do the work yourself you can usually come out ahead AND you get the bike built the way YOU want it.

• 8 posts
    May 15, 2017 6:02 PM PDT

[blockquote]NightDragon said:

Sounds like you have a rolling basket case.....hope you got it cheep.

Best of luck and hang  in there

Night Dragon

[/blockquote]

Paid 6k for it before the market droped the price on it.