New guy with a question

• 3 posts
    March 23, 2017 6:19 AM PDT

Hello all. New to riding here. Just got my first bike, a 2013 V star 650 custom. Had a question. I wanted to do a ride event down here in Jacksonville, Fl. Do these require you to have your endorsement? I ask because I dont have mine yet but I am signed up to take the class the first week of April.

• 19031 posts
    March 23, 2017 7:11 AM PDT

I am not certain of your question. Are you planning on running an event or just attending. If running one then I doubt you need one...BUT... whenever you ride ALL local laws apply. If you are not legal you ride at your risk. Adding, if you are a new rider with minimal experience I suggest you avoid large group rides. You not only endanger yourself but you also put other riders at risk. I have personally experienced novices causing chain reaction crashes in a group ride. 

• 3 posts
    March 23, 2017 7:14 AM PDT

Ok thank you, yes i was going to attend. Its a charity ride

• 1855 posts
    March 23, 2017 7:35 AM PDT

I have to agree with the Dog.....avoid community group rides until you have more experience with a couple of your friends who ride.  There are a number of buttholes on the road and on bikes who don't know how to act or ride as well as they think they do.  And they can be a distraction for everyone. But if you decide to go it would be a good thing to lag behind.

Enjoy your bike.  Ride it alot.

• 16822 posts
    March 23, 2017 11:32 AM PDT

Ditto

• 24 posts
    March 31, 2017 5:18 AM PDT

With Florida license you are not legally licensed to ride without the motorcycle endorsement. Should something happen you would have an invalid license.  Happy trails.

• 5420 posts
    March 31, 2017 8:15 AM PDT

Like the others said... it is not legal to ride in Florida without a motorcycle endorsement.  If something does happen you may not only get yourself in legal trouble, but the charity event also depending on how the ride is structured.

Do yourself a favor and go get your endorsement.