Palm Desert, CA

• December 22, 2016 9:11 AM PST

I'm looking at taking a trip out to Palm Desert, CA around January 16th thru 21st, 2017 - Can anybody recommend some good rides out that way, maybe between Palm Desert and the coast around Carlsbad? By the way, does it snow in the mountains during the winter that far south? I have never been to California, but it's just to dang cold to ride in Missouri right now, and the wife and I really need some relief from the cold. Gonna take 2~2 1/2 days to drive out there pulling a trailer with the bike, but I feel like it will be well worth the trip. Any suggestions??

• 2 posts
    January 2, 2017 9:02 AM PST
    Hwy 79 is a great ride out of PD Anza, and surrounding area.
    Rides from PD
    Big Bear, Julian, Joshua tree, Pioneertown.
    All good rides, some longer than others.
    I always stay at the Marriott dessert springs resort.
    Love this place to chill out drink and eat.
    Mountains can get snow but VERY LITTLE and usually gone by next day.
    Have fun.
  • January 3, 2017 3:07 AM PST

Thanks LouDog - Looked at Google Earth and looks like some nice riding in those areas - BTW, ride safe on your cross country trip to Daytona!!!

• 5417 posts
    January 5, 2017 9:42 AM PST

Here is a loop I like when in Palm Springs...

Head north on Twenty Nine Palms Hwy.

Turn south on Quail Sprinds Rd and just sty on it - it will change names several times

When you get back to I-10 go west a couple miles back to P.S. - or you can exit on Hwy 111 and go through Palm Desert, Rancho Mirage & Cathedral City which all have lots of watering holes and restaurants and that will take you right into the center of P.S.

NOTE: be sure to fill with gas before Quail Springs Road (in Yucca Valley.  (There are no services at all going through the national park.  And the buzzards just circle waiting for people to run out of gas :-)

This post was edited by Lucky at January 5, 2017 9:46 AM PST
  • February 2, 2017 10:30 AM PST

Thanks Lucky and LouDog - Sadly my trip didn't work out this time - Ice storm in MO and weather looked pretty wild in CA - Had to postpone for the time being but still looking to make it to CA this year - Either the Palm Springs trip or west coast hwy run from around Eureka up through Oregon/Washington - The wife used to live in Port Townsend, WA and still has friends there.