Another rant

• 1855 posts
    November 25, 2016 9:57 AM PST

My cataracts are bad enough to qualify under Medicare. I'm a diabetic and also have glaucoma. And as many of you know I've had open-heart surgery. The eye doctor at JACC (VA) claims it's too early for cataract surgery even though cataracts can make glaucoma worse as pressure begins to build and blindness becomes increasing more probable. He refuses to listen to reason. He also stated, "that has nothing to do with your vision" when I said, "my sugar levels affect my vision from time to time"; one of the most ignorant statements from a doctor I have ever heard. Everything he said to me on my last visit is contrary to what other professionals have told me and the research I've done, as well as my own personal experiences.  My concerns are heart attack and blindness and ya know, I want to be able to see where I am going to fall.

While the VA does a lot of good, the bureuacracy gets in the way a helluva lot more than it should, especially as we get older. They sometimes put the quality of life at the bottom of the list. I'm not afraid to die and I think most of us old farts feel the same because it's simply going to happen. But between here and there we want to be able to stay on top of the good things in our lives. Putting off my cataract surgery is going to put a damper on that quality of life.

That being said I'll be taking responsibility for my quality of life and get it done outside of the VA Health Center. Money out of my pocket. I know I'm going to see posts about how wonderful the VA has treated a few of you and that's all well and good; I'm happy for ya'll.  But problems still exist; turn over of doctors (I've had 3 in less than 2 years here;12 in 8 years total), scheduling appointments, Rx's you can get at one VA  hospital but not another, outside health care approvals, wait times; all the things they claim to have fixed.

So anyway...my rant is done.   

• 3006 posts
    November 25, 2016 1:38 PM PST

Dealing with medical conditions varies from doctor to doctor I have found in my own experience.Had to go n see 3 different dermatologists before the third one found the right skin creme to alleviate my exzema.The first 2 were convinced it was something else to be treated differently while the third immediately hit on a solution,by using a different compound to treat it.Of course the doctors covered under my plan were the first 2 I tried.The third I looked up in a directory & called first checked rates,made sure they would take cash/credit payment then made appt.Best thing I ever did, since then I have only had one minor outbreak years ago & the creme worked great.

IMO you are doing what is necessary and being a bit riled up over the hassles is totally valid from what you are saying it hopefully will relieve you of one more health issue.

Wish you the best and enjoy the ride

• 467 posts
    November 26, 2016 5:51 PM PST

It's all a bunch of bull to me! I think any military service member should be able to walk into any medical facility and be treated for free. Dump the VA completely!

• 19034 posts
    November 27, 2016 5:28 AM PST

I too have had bad and good VA treatment. Don't you get the right to go outside the VA at the VA expense for a second opinion? 

• 1855 posts
    November 27, 2016 9:24 AM PST

[blockquote]RexTheRoadDog said:

I too have had bad and good VA treatment. Don't you get the right to go outside the VA at the VA expense for a second opinion? 

[/blockquote]

You have the right to speak to the advocate and then the right to wait for a decision that may or may not come. 

The card we got from the VA last year "supposedly" allows us to seek non-VA care.  But that card only applies if we have to wait too long for an appointment or travel to far to get treated by the VA.  I go to an VA outpatient clinic in Pensacola; just 10 miles away from my home in Alabama.  The Gulf Coast VA hospital is in Jackson, Mississippi.  If I can't be treated in Pensacola I don't have to go to Jackson, Missippi because it is a couple hundred miles away.  But in order to get a colonoscopy let's say, I have to submit a request that needs to be approved by the VA.  Here's out that worked out:

Because of previously anomaly in a colonoscopy performed by my civilian doctor I was told I needed a to have another one a year later. In that year I moved to Alabama in July.  My colonoscopy was due in November.  Pensacola couldn't do it and I didn't want to go to Jackson where I would have to get a hotel room the day before.  So, they said I could go to Baptist Hospital in Pensacola.  But that had to be approved first.  That approval didn't happen until 6 months later, in which time any polyp I may have had could've developed into a more serious condition.  But instead I gained an ulcer waiting.  That's not going to happen again. 

• 19034 posts
    November 28, 2016 4:53 AM PST

Yeah, I too have had some bureaucracy crap to deal with and fortunately, an Army Doctor gave the VA hell and got them straightened out. But I guess I am very fortunate to have a good (mostly) VA, and a GREAT Army Hospital (at Fort Bliss) to go to. Even though it is almost 300 miles away (here in West Texas no big deal), I did get my primary in the closest town to me (still 80 miles) through the Choice Program.

• 58 posts
    November 28, 2016 5:32 PM PST

I thank stars that being retired I don't have to deal with VA.  Went once in mid 90's and swore never to return.  Now if they would just reinstate TriCare Prime as it was meant to be... for those who live out of range of military facility.  But no, only those who live near military facilities can have Prime since ObummerCare started .

• 19034 posts
    November 29, 2016 5:44 AM PST

When I go to Beaumont Hospital at Ft. Bliss I see a lot or retirees there. I too retired from the AF (medically) but never used Tri-care since I always had a job with good medical. I use the VA now since it is the closest and there is no out of pocket expense for me except travel which I get reimbursed for. I do have to go to the VA initially but quite often get a referral for outside care. IE dermatology and Urology. I had Cataract surgery done at the VA Hospital and am VERY pleased. I had the option to see an outside Ophomalogist but declined since I felt very comfortable with my VA Doctor. She is Excelent.

• 58 posts
    November 29, 2016 12:33 PM PST

Nearest VA hosp is 95 miles to Dallas, Active duty facilities are 130 miles to Ft Worth or Barksdale AFB, or 175 miles to Ft Hood.  I think anything beyond 50 miles is considered "out of area".  The Dallas VA is the one I swore never to return to.  I have drivers who still use the Dallas VA and they say it still hasn't improved much.  I actually went off on a coworker who tried to tell a driver he could just get his appt rescheduled becuse it was middle of the week or some such and he wouldn't/couldn't just send him 150-200 miles to get him home on time.  Kid didn't have a clue.  He does now.  His vets don't miss appts.

• 8 posts
    November 30, 2016 10:33 PM PST

great VA here in the north west, good care good doctor's Dam good VA rep. cant say enough good about the care they give 

• 31 posts
    January 1, 2017 8:47 AM PST

ya and how about the knee surgery scam you cant get a knee surgery when your young unless it totaly blows out. becouse it only lasts 10 years so you start exusising less your hip goes bad becouse you have to comensate.and when you get it your to dam old and out of shape to give a shit