Driving Warning

• July 20, 2016 8:18 AM PDT

Tennessee is probablly one of the most beautiful places to ride in the United States, with the Blue Ridge Parkway, and of course the "Tail of the Dragon ride", and other great rides, you just can't go wrong taking a trip to this state for raw beauty.

If you decide to visit Pigeon Forge / Sevierville Tennessee here are a few things to keep in mind as you plan your trip:

Pigeon Forge is a tourest town and people from all over the United States come here for Dollywood and the Smokies. Keep in mind these people have no idea where there going, so it's common to see wrecks, slow people, people changing lanes without a signal, and many 

other violations.  The main Parkway runs through Sevierville and Pigeon Forge, and during peak season it can become so crowded it is common to set at a light for 15 maybe 20 minutes in the heat. I almost burnt up a clutch on that parkway when I arrive here 3 1/2 years ago. 

Another thing to watch out for is the Man Hole Covers...Apparently the street dept. thinks it's a good idea to make these covers 3 1/2 inches below the service of the street. You could actually chip a tooth if you hit one of those sink holes, and it your on a springer forget it, your out of control.

Now for the senic back roads.....For whatever reason on-coming traffic thinks it's ok to travel in your lane, so watch for that especially around corners. The back roads have NO shoulders and steep drop offs. There are areas if you leave the road it would be like finding Jimmy Haffa all over again.

So enjoy your trip here, but bring your A driving game with you.

Be safe

Night Dragon

• 5420 posts
    July 20, 2016 8:42 AM PDT

Thanks for the tips Dragon!

Sharing the road with 'tourist drivers' is always a challange.  Living in both South Florida and Southern California I have spend my life sharing the road with tourists.  They are normally looking around at all the sites and not paying as much attention to the road as they should be.  As with everytime you ride - and especially around tourists - you need to watch out for the other guy and assume they don't see you.

Hopefully I will get to enjoy a trip to your area in the near future and we can ride those beautiful roads together!

• 1855 posts
    July 20, 2016 8:53 AM PDT

Great tips!!!!  The tourist thing was one of the things we considered when we decided NOT to move there.  Though I love the area, having visited and ridden the area on numerous occasions the traffic tourism was the deal breaker.  And you are so correct about the congestion at certain times of the year.  None of the lights are timed and they seem to be less than 100 yds apart.   After a recent car show there, it was almost debilitating trying to get out of town. I was travelling west or nw on 321, having just come from N. C. I took a wrong turn off 441.   At the time I didn't know my way around and managed somehow to get through Gatlinburg but I found myself in the wrong place at the wrong time.  I swear I could actually hear my shovelhead crying.  Not having any idea of what roads went where I frustratingly made a quick right turn, taking the off the parkway neighborhood roads  just to get away from it all. 

I know how to navigate the place now thankfully and have been back in that area plenty of times.  Unless one really wants to do the Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg tourist thing on a motorcycle there are ways around it all and you can enjoy some of the most beautiful riding to be found anywhere.

We plan on another trip up that way and for sure I'm going to try and hook up with Ken.  My suggestion is if any of you plan on a trip that way give him a pm. 

Thanks Ken...good advice.

• July 21, 2016 9:17 AM PDT

I agree great riding all around up there, over the years I found it better to hit the Dragon either on Tuesday or Wednesday stay to low side aka hugging the white line because half are lookers an the other half are drive\riding way above their skill level an they will CLIP the corners its just a mind set given just like when a car comes up to a side road you say or should  SAY THEY dont see ME as far as Gatlinburg an Pigeon Forge just not my cup of Tea but then again i was 14 when i made my first run to the mountains before it was the Dragon it was simply US 129 i hang in TELICO PLAINS DUCKTOWN AN I LOVE ME SUM Turtletown Tennessee an if you got the time drop down into north GA the riding just gets better

• 3006 posts
    July 21, 2016 3:04 PM PDT

Thanks for the heads up.Good advice all around.The deal with the sewagehole covers is one I have experienced before over here, and yeah you can actually chip a tooth or bust a shock if you are riding two up n hit one hard.I know along the coast here we have some terrible potholes on some of the more traveled backroads.Never had a chance to ride east of the Missisippi.Sounds like a great area to go riding in.Another bucket listing !

Stay safe & enjoy the ride 

• 3 posts
    July 24, 2016 7:02 PM PDT

very good advice i'm down in that area 8-10 times a year sometimes on the bike but most in the cage with my family. a lot of great roads around the area but i have seen traffic backed up for miles going into pigeon forge. if you are there during one of the major car shows dont plan on getting anywhere fast.