Sturgis 2016

• 2 posts
    June 14, 2016 10:40 PM PDT
    First time going to Sturgis. Looking for some seasoned veterans to fill me in on where to go and where not to go.
    • 467 posts
    June 20, 2016 11:28 AM PDT

Where are you staying? Are you camping? I suggest Glencoe. You pay for the whole 2 weeks whether you stay 1 night or 15 nights, but I love the grass, trees, lack of dust, the people and just everything about the place.

It's always really busy at the first of the week then slows down by Thursday morning. That's when I would suggest you get your riding days in; at the end of the week.

And really there are no places that you "can't" go!

We will be there from Tuesday through Saturday at Glencoe!

• June 28, 2016 4:14 AM PDT

I live near Sturgis and always make my way there.. I will see you there! 

• 84 posts
    June 29, 2016 4:29 PM PDT

I was having lunch with some friends today and the subject of Sturgis came up.  Seems next to riding Route 66 going to Sturgis is the second most popular destination for Harley riders from my corner of Europe.  Anyway, one of the guys wants to go to Sturgis and he was wondering what a ballpark cost would be for a week.

This would include flying into a city 100-200 miles from Sturgis, renting a Harley (Dyna, Softail or Cruiser) to ride for 8-9 days, gas for riding around, camping, medical insurance for foreigners, food and all basic necessities to live in the campgrounds.  Not included wuld be alcohol, souvenirs and heavy partying.

I ballparked a number of €5000.  Which would be about $5500US at the exchange rate of the past few months of $1.10+/- to the Euro.  That figures around $2000 for r/t airfare/BS fees and $200/day for a Harley w/insurance included.  They eat up $3800 leaving $1700 for a camping supplies, gas, food, alcohol, partying, a few nights in a hotel, etc.  If he brings a girl he can probably kick it up another $2700.

I've been gone from the US for almost a decade so I'm not so sure if my numbers are reasonable.  Anybody weigh in on this??

This post was edited by Snakechrmr at June 29, 2016 4:31 PM PDT
    • 3 posts
    July 3, 2016 5:45 AM PDT
    I am going to my first Sturgis as well, riding from Charlott, NC and staying in Deadwood. Have a great trip and hope to cross paths.
    • 3 posts
    July 3, 2016 5:45 AM PDT
    I am going to my first Sturgis as well, riding from Charlott, NC and staying in Deadwood. Have a great trip and hope to cross paths.
    • 31 posts
    July 7, 2016 6:39 PM PDT

oka stay at glenco its restrooms are the cleanest realy,been there three times.theen pick a concert you wont to see at buffilo chip and reserver that day take your sleeping bags. i promise you will wont to go back to glenco to cleanup.the buffilo chip is fun and a must see for the concert you choes.use the bus system to go back and forth to sturges.its worth every penny and probly saves more lives .try to drink responsibly;; good luck.hewlitt wy is kinda fun on wensday the ride all the way around back to sturges is fun .when you pull into sturges think about coasting you bike its alittel down hill to glenco and will help keep you bike cool.tell your self you are going to get rained on and plan on it so your plans stay fun its just rain.use the mailing system we mailed cloths to glenco .and mailed much more stuff home.you will find maney good places to eat and get coffee.hide some pastys from bikercrape in your bags just incase your rider decids to have more fun then she planed.its good clean fun for adults.the most fun is the ride to sturges.dont be in a hurry all the states no where you are going and thier economy plans on it. the rooms arent that bad.and you arenot going to miss anything. also if you tent mail it and your sleeping bags its alot better.

• 467 posts
    July 10, 2016 9:48 AM PDT

[blockquote]Snakechrmr said:

I was having lunch with some friends today and the subject of Sturgis came up.  Seems next to riding Route 66 going to Sturgis is the second most popular destination for Harley riders from my corner of Europe.  Anyway, one of the guys wants to go to Sturgis and he was wondering what a ballpark cost would be for a week.

This would include flying into a city 100-200 miles from Sturgis, renting a Harley (Dyna, Softail or Cruiser) to ride for 8-9 days, gas for riding around, camping, medical insurance for foreigners, food and all basic necessities to live in the campgrounds.  Not included wuld be alcohol, souvenirs and heavy partying.

I ballparked a number of €5000.  Which would be about $5500US at the exchange rate of the past few months of $1.10+/- to the Euro.  That figures around $2000 for r/t airfare/BS fees and $200/day for a Harley w/insurance included.  They eat up $3800 leaving $1700 for a camping supplies, gas, food, alcohol, partying, a few nights in a hotel, etc.  If he brings a girl he can probably kick it up another $2700.

I've been gone from the US for almost a decade so I'm not so sure if my numbers are reasonable.  Anybody weigh in on this??

[/blockquote]

I would say this is reasonable.

• 2 posts
    July 25, 2016 10:18 PM PDT
    Thanks for the info. Sorry for the delay. Switched from an Android to an iphone. Everything is messed up.... I took everyone's advise and booked at Glenco. I can't wait
    • 3006 posts
    August 11, 2016 3:00 PM PDT

Sounds like a really good time. Remember w/out pic's it didn't happen LMAO !!!