Wiring question,help me out here lol!

• January 23, 2010 12:29 PM PST
     My wifes bike came to us w the front turn signals removed.The wires were cut just behind the harness clip.Each side has 3 wires to it,1 black,1purple and 1 blue.The clip for the harness(male side) has numbers 1-6 across the top for each wire slot. My question is which wires go in each slot?Which one is wire 1,2 ect.I tried to make an educated guess and hook it up but nothing worked right so I no I did it wrong!Any one know bout 03 Harley Sportster front blinker wiring? Losing my mind here...at least the bike is  in the house so I dont have to freeze my ass off!
    • 0 posts
    January 23, 2010 1:10 PM PST
    It has been forever since I have been working on a Harley, but from what I remember. Black is ground, blue is marker, and left turn is voilet, and you should have a brown wire for the right turn.

For the flht it would go; outsides (1 and 6) are both black. Next would be the turn signals #2 is brown and # 5 is the purple and the two centers are both blue.

Just remember, If it burns up, it is not my fault! LOL
    • 1516 posts
    January 23, 2010 1:17 PM PST
    Wow, Gary thats pretty good for off the top of your head...
    • 1040 posts
    January 23, 2010 1:26 PM PST
    Here's a schematic for my FXR if it will help
    • 1040 posts
    January 23, 2010 1:34 PM PST
    GaryTJ wrote...
    It has been forever since I have been working on a Harley, but from what I remember. Black is ground, blue is marker, and left turn is voilet, and you should have a brown wire for the right turn.

For the flht it would go; outsides (1 and 6) are both black. Next would be the turn signals #2 is brown and # 5 is the purple and the two centers are both blue.

Yep, that's the same setup for my Fxr in case you can't read the schematic
  • January 23, 2010 1:47 PM PST
    Thanks guys...there is no brown for her bike,left and right are both violet,the others are as you said they would be.Only problem is when I hooked them up,1 and 6 black,2 and 5 purple,blues 3 and 4,one running light on left worked but not right:-( also turn on left blinker and I get Left front and right rear! Right blinker nothing.When I switched them(wires)same shit....might be in over my head and thought it would be easy lol!
  • January 23, 2010 1:51 PM PST
    fxrdude wrote...
    Here's a schematic for my FXR if it will help
     Malissa keeps calling you "fixer dude" and now that you posted that  I will never get her to call you "fxrdude" lol! Thanks for your help brother:-)
  • January 23, 2010 1:53 PM PST
    GaryTJ wrote...

Thanks Gary...no fire yet! Seems like only I got steamed lol!
    • 19040 posts
    January 23, 2010 11:24 PM PST
    My meager advise is GET THE RIGHT BOOK. A mistake can end up costing a whole lot more than the cost of the manual.
    • 1780 posts
    January 24, 2010 4:25 AM PST
    OK here ya go........go get ya a hand full of fuses, and keep trying different hook up's until you figure it out or run out of fuses, then just use your hand to signal.

I'm sorry I'm going to hell for that one........forgive the smart ass in me. I think fxr is da man.

Dragon
  • January 24, 2010 5:32 AM PST
    OK I am on it...course no fuses blown yet!
  • January 24, 2010 7:23 AM PST
    Victory! Everything works.. Thanks for your help!
    • 1364 posts
    January 24, 2010 7:50 AM PST
    The CYCLEFISH  users do it AGAIN !!!!     
  • January 24, 2010 9:05 AM PST
    Note to self....if it doesnt work three times do it four times...lol!Also make sure all the connectors are making good contact, doh!
    • 1040 posts
    January 24, 2010 9:19 AM PST
    wolfhound tha fixer....got a good ring to it huh?...lol. Glad ya got it and for tha record tell Malissa my fixin capabilities are less than a shade tree mechanic...lol. Gotta go now...Fixin (get it? fixin) ...lol to watch the Saints and tha Vikings...Later
  • January 24, 2010 9:37 AM PST
    fxrdude wrote...
    wolfhound tha fixer....got a good ring to it huh?...lol. Glad ya got it and for tha record tell Malissa my fixin capabilities are less than a shade tree mechanic...lol. Gotta go now...Fixin (get it? fixin) ...lol to watch the Saints and tha Vikings...Later
     LOL, you will always be fixer here now man,thanks and enjoy the game!
    • 1040 posts
    January 24, 2010 12:39 PM PST
    wolfhound wrote...
    Thanks guys...there is no brown for her bike,left and right are both violet,the others are as you said they would be.Only problem is when I hooked them up,1 and 6 black,2 and 5 purple,blues 3 and 4,one running light on left worked but not right:-( also turn on left blinker and I get Left front and right rear! Right blinker nothing.When I switched them(wires)same shit....might be in over my head and thought it would be easy lol!

So, is this how you ended up connecting the wires? Like you have stated above? Did you NOT have the wires connected securely when tieing them in and then you kept working at it and got good connections on all? Were your fuses OK? No shorts anywhere? Asking because maybe you can help some others out there if they run into the same problem?

• January 28, 2010 7:21 AM PST
    Yes the order was correct.I did end up swapping left and right sides(wires) because they were backwards(Left front, right rear...oops) but the problem I had was that the wires were not fully seated in the clip so when I clicked the two together some of the connections were not mated properly. No fuse issues at all,just my lack of experience lol! On the up side I am stubborn as hell and dont give up(there was a lot of cursing though!). Thanks again,you were spot on!
    • 1040 posts
    January 28, 2010 8:34 AM PST
    Everybody did good here with their input, now lets hope it helps someone else
  • January 28, 2010 10:05 AM PST
    http://i50.servimg.com/u/f50/11/00/68/87/1998-110.jpg />
    try this diagram..see if this helps
  • January 28, 2010 10:10 AM PST
    or for what looks like 6.99 you can download the whole service manual with wiring diagrams..

http://www.tradebit.com/filedetail.php/8599972-instant-download-harley-davidson-xl-xlh />
    hope it helps