Its All About The Wind

• 4 posts
    January 31, 2016 2:27 AM PST
     I thought itd be fun to share some of those little lessons we learned from the wind...heres some;

It IS possible for the wind to rip the cherry off a smoke.
    It IS possible for the wind to forceably place said Cherry directly into a Nostril.
    Your first instinct is to grab/poke at it vs. blow...
    A Hot cherry WILL Adhere to the insides of a Nostril.
    Your Eyes Water Profusely immediately upon a Cherry lodging in a Nostril.
    Its damn difficult to see when your eyes are flowing.
    Theres a God Awful smell & sizzling that occurs in a Flash.

Realisation of ALL the above occured almost simultaneouly....

Lifes lil lessons....

Im sure it would have been fun to witness...but it made my life interesting for a few brief moments!!!
  • January 31, 2016 5:58 AM PST
    Yeah its God awful when your riding without a windshield an wind sends a Bug up a Nostril.
    then bug turns out to have a stinger, life lesson is to ride with windshield right not me I rode the
    short bus to school, I still prefer no windshield when I kicking around local !
    • 4 posts
    January 31, 2016 6:06 AM PST
    I know, im a spoiled baby....gotta have my windshield, tunes...
    But that windshield isnt the total answer either.
    Was a sunny Fall day cruising round the lakes in Wis. enjoying the colors of the leaves....as I came round a curve I noticed a gorgeous maple leaf drifting n spinning down to the road ahead...one single leaf, w its stem attached to a piece of twig-bout 1/8 in thick & maybe 3 in long-it was so surreal watching as it continued down in front of me & caught my slipstream Just Right....damn stem hit me square in the middle of the tip of my nose!!!! Again, profuse leakage o the eyeballs...but luckily I had prior training in such situs....

Ohhh and the day I was happiest to have a windshield...the Hopper Hatch when I was crossing S. Dakota....lovely day.
    • 1855 posts
    January 31, 2016 6:24 AM PST
    O.K. I've bee across S. Dakota more times than I can count. What's the "Hopper Hatch"? And yep, I remember those burnt nose hairs when I use to smoke. Then again, when I use to smoke I never had a windshield either.
    • 4 posts
    January 31, 2016 6:41 AM PST
    Jimmy,
    It was my 2nd time coming back from Sturgis area. I was heading east and ran into a 'low cloud' that turned out to be about a Gazillion grass hoppers or locusts swarming over the road...had to literally keep hunkered down behind the windshield which kept getting covered in insect fliuds. It was pretty gross.
    Turned greasy real quick, kinda like a mayfly hatch back home but Bigger Bugs.
    • 57 posts
    January 31, 2016 7:06 AM PST
    I guess I'm a bee magnet up my sleeve in my helmet down the front of my shirt.I think I was stung 5 times last year.
    • 1855 posts
    January 31, 2016 7:50 AM PST
    Hopper Hatch; makes sense. My nemesis when riding across S.Dakota has always been hail. My very first trip years ago and there was no place to go with over passes miles apart. Laid down on top of my bike on the side of the road and protected myself as best I could. Since that day I never go anywhere without quick and easy access to an 8 x 10 tarp. I even contacted ABATE of S. Dakota about trying to raise funds to erect small shelters along I-90 for bikers. I can't begin to tell you the number of times I've been caught in hail. I'm just thankful it wasn't any larger than pea size or golf ball size.
    • 4 posts
    January 31, 2016 8:19 AM PST
    Mother Nature....she is capable of wondrous things for sure. Its all part of that allure that makes us put our nose into the wind.
    • 16795 posts
    February 1, 2016 6:20 AM PST
    Hunter55 wrote...
    I guess I'm a bee magnet up my sleeve in my helmet down the front of my shirt.I think I was stung 5 times last year.

Bees!  Yes bees!

• 2 posts
    February 1, 2016 12:09 PM PST
    About forever ago, was making my first long trip on a motorcycle, traveling from Houghton MI to Buffalo, NY
    Was riding a Honda Hawk and did not want to ride over the Mackinac Bridge on a ride that light so used the bridge at the Sault
    Was navigating thru the Ontario forests mostly by keeping the lakes on my right, it got dark and just kept on riding, when I ran into a swarm of God knows what, little brown bugs of some kind. They plastered my facemask and I had no water to wash them off, fished around my luggage , found my lab goggles and they plastered them too. No damn place to stop, no bars, no diners, no filling stations, nothing. Put on my prescription safety glasses and just kept wiping them on my pants
    • 3006 posts
    February 2, 2016 5:13 AM PST
    Bay area wind lesson:
    #1 take the long way around when the weather guy says high winds out on SF bay.
    #2 see #1 above ^^^
    #3 if you ignore #1 & 2 please carry extra pair of shorts !!!
    • 4 posts
    February 2, 2016 6:59 AM PST
    Yup, damn bugs!
    BluPurple, winds can be viscious. Hit a 60 Sheer wind-from the side of course, once...moved me two lanes & close to beyond into the dirt.
    Crossed S. dak once east to west in a day long storm from NW w gusts of up to 45 mph....only saw one other idjit on a bike the whole way across the State....
    Im older now, but unfortunately still capable of being Stupid.
    • 4 posts
    February 2, 2016 3:05 PM PST
    @99Sav,
    Yeah, thats what I meant by Greasy! I have been thru a few may fly hatches but they are usually pretty short lived....the Hopper Hatch went to a whole new level, trying to keep scraping the stuff away enuff to see halfway clearly. Windshield & shield on helmet were loaded. Nasty & Scary.
    • 58 posts
    February 2, 2016 3:17 PM PST
    Junebugs!
    • 4 posts
    February 2, 2016 9:17 PM PST
    RufCut,
    Junebugs....frickin exoskeletons! I was wondering when someone would list them.
    A friend once asked me what hitting bugs felt like on the bike.
    After pondering for abit I told him to Imagine having someone throw Marbles at their foreheads and body as hard as they can...then double it!!