EVO Bagger

• 1855 posts
    December 9, 2015 10:03 AM PST
    Comptemplating another MC.  Anyone in Southeastern U.S. know of a pre-2000 Evolution FLHUTC that might be for sale?
    • 57 posts
    December 10, 2015 11:09 PM PST
    Looking for a new restoration Doc, good luck
    Maybe CycleTrader 
    • 5420 posts
    December 11, 2015 4:34 AM PST
    Don't know anyone, but a good choice of bike!!!
    • 1855 posts
    December 12, 2015 6:02 AM PST
    NO, NO, NO, on the restoration. I've had my fill of that. Thnks
    • 1855 posts
    December 16, 2015 12:35 AM PST
    Well there's more around the area than I thought there would be. I saw a couple mid-90's with less than 20K miles at some pretty decent prices as well. But I'm going to keep looking until after the first of the year. 12 grandkids at Xmas times just kills the finances. I'm still looking to move the shovelhead but there's been no takers; only lookers. It would help certainly in the purchase of a Bagger but keeping it and passing it down is fine with me.

Peace
    • 57 posts
    December 17, 2015 4:32 AM PST
    Just curious what has you wanting a 20+ year old bike,were the Evo motors that good,forgive my ignorance on the older models but we are fairly new to the bikes,the wife and I have enjoyed cruising around on our 14 Ultra so much the past two years that I sold the Heritage this past fall,Im sure any of your kids or GKs would be excited to receive such a great gift.Ride On
    • 1855 posts
    December 18, 2015 4:48 AM PST
    Geared cams on the EVO are by far stronger and more durable. EVO's run cooler. EVO's aren't loaded up with control modules that control more than one function on the bike. Computer fuel injection is far more complicated and takes a good deal more ($$$). Things that may go suddenly awry on a carb are normally easy to fix on the road. That's about the gist of it and it pretty much boils down to not finding myself completely helpless on the side of the road.

When a Harley download MAP is necessary for whatever reason (new pipes perhaps)and it doesn't work; it cannot be adjusted. Electronic fuel pumps stop you in your tracks and because of the control modules the electronic fuel pump may not even be the problem. In today's injection system there are over 1/2 dozen sensors that plug into the engine; any one of which will stop you cold.

EVO's require a lesser charging system that's easier to maintain and cheaper to work with. An EVO motor will continue to run on only its battery for a time being; maybe just long enough to get you out of BFE. A newer bike will simply go dead on the road. The stator went out on my '98 Wideglide north of Grand Forks, N. Dakota. With a bit of babying I made another 150 miles on the battery alone. On a 2003 Electaglide I broke down 45 miles from home and that's where the bike stopped completely and I had to be picked up.

And yes Hunter, EVO motors were that good. Don't think for a minute that corporate HD made things more technically reliable for the consumer. They're motivation was simply greed because repairing anything on the newer bikes is more than just pocket change.

Given all that; I still like my 2012 Heritage but I'm a nervous wreck on long trips.  And Gypsy and I just don't ride up the road and back.  LOL
    • 57 posts
    December 18, 2015 11:59 PM PST
    From what I've see it seams like there are quite a few really low mile mile bikes out there and you shouldn't have trouble finding what you are looking for.The wife and I put over 20k miles on the Ultra this year and some fairly remote areas of the US and Canada but never worried about the Electronics,the tires and wheels now thats a different story.Take Care
    • 1855 posts
    December 19, 2015 12:34 AM PST
    After looking back over our shoulder from the top of the Big Horn and seeing from where we just travelled, when I got home I got mag wheels, tubeless tires, and a tire repair kit.   It was Lucky who turned me onto it.  It was nothing to repair a tire on my '98 Wideglide or any of my shovelheads, but the Heritage is a completely different story. 

I've seen a number of low mileage EVO Baggers and there's still a good deal to consider especially with low mileage.  #1 is how long they have been sitting which leads to a couple of other things to consider.    #2 is overall appearance of the bike. Has it been treated with genuine care.  #3 is maintenance records.

I'm sure I'll find a suitable Bagger but there's also my health to consider.  I'm only 67 but somedays I feel like I'm falling apart; knees are simply killing me.  And while knee replacement may be in the future, as a diabetic I'm not taking the chance of getting some damn infection from surgery.  The VA hospital is full of diabetic amputees.