NEED HELP

• 15 posts
    December 3, 2015 2:59 AM PST

I have a 2010 Wide Glide that I took to the local Harley shop to get a stuck passenger peg bolt out. The Harley shop took my rear fender off to get to the screw and in doing so disconnected the wiring. When they put the fender back on and connected the wires back up they failed to put the wires in the protective sleeve. When I rode home which is 65 miles I didn't have any lights and my speedometer quit working. After further investigation I noticed all my wires had been frayed underneath my fender. I soldered the wires back together and my lights started working except the brake lights do not get brighter when brakes are applied and also if you start the bike sometimes the speedometer does not come on. I have replaced all of the fuses and relays and cannot think of anything else that I can do besides rip all of the wiring out. I need some help please.

• 1855 posts
    December 3, 2015 4:11 AM PST
    Check the code that comes up. I don't know the sequence right off hand to get the codes to appear on your odometer read out but I know it's pretty simple. Knowing what the code means is a different story. Actually I'd make the shop that fkd it up take care of it.
    • 5420 posts
    December 3, 2015 4:14 AM PST
    Well I would contact the dealer that forgot to put the wires in the protective sleeve and tell them to fix it!

However since you tried to repair it they may not fix it for you at no charge.

The other options are to get a wiring diagram for the bike (comes in the full service manual) and trace each and every wire to make sure they are connected correctly and there are no shorts or opens.

The second and easiest option would be to replace that harness for the rear lighting. I am not sure where it originates, I know on the touring models it originates at a large connector under the seat.

Maybe you can get the dealer to give you the part since it was there fault in the first place.
    • 15 posts
    December 3, 2015 4:15 AM PST
    I have called Harley complaint line and they said since the warranty is expired they cant do anything and have called the stealership and was told we could work something out but I would still be paying for their screw up.
    • 5420 posts
    December 3, 2015 4:23 AM PST
    The bike warranty doesn't matter. It is not a warranty issue on the bike, it is a warranty issue on the recent work.
    • 15 posts
    December 3, 2015 4:25 AM PST
    Would it matter if has happened over a period of time due to a deployment and no time to bring the bike up there
    • 5420 posts
    December 3, 2015 4:51 AM PST
    Not sure. But it really depends on the dealer. I know some who always do the right thing for the customer and others who care about nothing but bottom line
    • 15 posts
    December 3, 2015 5:09 AM PST
    Thank you everyone for your input hopefully I can get the issue resolved