BCM (body control module)

• 1855 posts
    October 13, 2015 4:35 AM PDT
    Warning light keeps coming on.  Checked the code and it came up with a BCM number that indicates a brake issue. Cleared the code.  Went out for a ride and warning light came back on.  When that light comes on, for some reason my brake lights stay on. My understanding on my '12 Heritage is that the front brake lever is electronic and the back is hydraulic.  I don't quite understand that since they both require brake fluid.  Be that as it may I don't know how to hunt down the cause of the problem.  Any suggestions.  BTW, I don't have to engage either front or rear brake to make the warning light come on.  It just does.

Thanks in advance.
    • 5419 posts
    October 13, 2015 5:29 PM PDT
    I remember a few years back there was a recall because of the rear brake switch getting too hot because of its location and that cause the brake lights to stay on. But I think that was on touring models.

Are the brakes still functioning properly when the warning light and brake lights come on?
    • 19007 posts
    October 13, 2015 9:34 PM PDT
    Not sure about the '12 bikes but my 04 front brake sw it just a micro switch activated by lever motion, (thus electric) and the rear is the old style in-line pressure switch). With tech come difficulty, as you know. If the bike has ABS then all advice from me is mute for I am completely ignorant of that system.
    • 1855 posts
    October 14, 2015 10:46 AM PDT
    The brakes still work. I don't have ABS. I finally took the bike in and apparently there was a code we missed. This one had to do with the kill switch. But both codes actually were related to a wiring harness; one for the front brake and the other for the kill switch. And as it turned out the wiring in the handle bars was the culprit for both. $130.00 fix but less headache on my part.
    • 19007 posts
    October 15, 2015 12:25 AM PDT
    Glad all is right now. Rex has a Cranky kill SW that rarely might shut down the engine. I fixed that by buying one from the dealer with plans to install it. That switch has been in my tool box for four years now and the original has not failed since I bought it. Guess the threat of replacement was enough.