Tire question

• October 4, 2015 1:58 AM PDT
     I'm planning to do a cross country ride next June. I have a 2012 Road Glide. What tires are you guys or girls using ? I'm thinking the ride is going to be a bit over 8,000 miles. I am going to leave with a new set on the bike. I'll be riding solo with the usual luggage and gear. Thanks for your help.

• 19004 posts
    October 4, 2015 2:04 AM PDT
    Rex, my Road King, has seen nothing but the factory stock Dunlops and had no trouble with them (one exception but that was the idiot mech not the tire). I have heard many things about other performance tires but feel with my riding style factory tires are more than fine. It is a good thing you are starting out on new tires. Back in '09 I did a 48 state one run, 12,989 miles and needed tires when I got home. Best of luck to you.
    • 5417 posts
    October 4, 2015 5:22 AM PDT
    I like the Dunlops too. Good combination of performance and long lasting. You will have lots of tread left after the trip
    • 58 posts
    October 5, 2015 6:20 AM PDT
    I will be putting the Metzler 888's on this bike as I wear out the Dunlops that came on it.
    • 84 posts
    October 5, 2015 6:40 AM PDT
    I always use the stock Dunlops, too. Pretty pleased with them.

Had a little trouble with mileage on the rear but as soon as I figured out the mechanic that was mounting the tires wasn't checking the rear alignment correctly and began doing it myself the mileage went back up.
    • 846 posts
    October 5, 2015 8:26 AM PDT
    I did a 10,000 mile cross country trip this year and a new set of Dunlops 407 & 408 tires (stock for HD touring bikes after 2009). I drove through the summer heat of the desert and heavy rains without an issue and I still have plenty of tread left on them when I got home. I like the way they handle in the rain so I when with them with no regrets.
    • 1855 posts
    October 5, 2015 10:06 AM PDT
    Plus on the Dunlops. They are 10 times the tire they use to be. From 1987 to about 1995 IMHO they were junk. Riding two up for years now I actually get some good mileage out of 'em and they DO hold up in all kinds of weather.
    • 57 posts
    October 5, 2015 11:07 PM PDT
    I just replaced the Dunlops with Michelin Commander 2 and very happy with performance wet or dry they have a softer ride feel and very quiet tires,the Dunlops started howling in the turns at about 10k miles we couldn't stand the noise,
    price was very comparable too.
    • 1 posts
    October 6, 2015 1:03 AM PDT
    Dunlops!!! Had a mechanic talk me into Avons once. That was money wasted IMHO. Never again.
    • 58 posts
    October 6, 2015 3:15 AM PDT
    OK, so to those of you running Dunlop 407's, I have a question or two. First off, on my 05 FLHPI I ran Metzler 888's. I got nearly double the miles (24K) as compared to the stock 402's (13K) on the rear tire. This bike (11 FLHTK) has 407's. How many miles can I expect and how much for the replacement?
    • 79 posts
    October 6, 2015 3:57 PM PDT
    I have been running dunlop american elites,I have 14500 on this set and they don't even look half worn yet.At j and p I think i payed 208 for the back and 179 for the front.
  • October 8, 2015 11:06 AM PDT
    Been running Metzler's for me they grip the best for curve riders I get 12,000 miles a set the harder you ride the faster they go lol
    • 5417 posts
    October 8, 2015 4:50 PM PDT
    I think with most tires the formula for miles per year is 250 x your age...

When I was 20 I got 5k a year, at 40 I got 10k per year and now at 57 I get about 14k per year
    • 19004 posts
    October 8, 2015 9:30 PM PDT
    Iffin that be true I will never need tires again...
  • October 13, 2015 12:52 PM PDT
    Thanks guys. I'm new to the touring bike world. I figured ther tires would be toast after the trip. I'm used to sport bike tires. This bike was given to me by a very close friend who lost his fight with pancreatic cancer in December. Him and I had talked about doing this for a few years. In one of our last conversations he made me promise him that I would still do it so this coming June I'm taking his bike for the ride. I'm going to spread some of his ashes in the places he wanted to see. I'm sure that I will have some more questions before I leave.