Low Turnout At Thunder In The Smokies Fall 2015

• 6 posts
    September 17, 2015 2:20 AM PDT
    Few vendors and a low turnout in Maggie Valley this fall. Could it be that two beer limit the staff imposed? By 8:00 PM most bikes had left the grounds. By nine, the band had stopped. Several parking-lot parties kept things alive for a while. Advertised as biggest rally in the Smokies. Really? 
    • 5419 posts
    September 17, 2015 3:18 AM PDT
    I think it was the biggest in the area for a while. I know over the past few years they have cut back on advertising the rally. Many event promoters do this assuming that everyone will come back and also tell a bunch of friends... but it doesn't work like that anymore. With the internet and all the social media available, the one with the most advertisement gets the crowds.
    • 34 posts
    September 18, 2015 1:27 PM PDT
    good thing I didn't go as I had planned
    • 1855 posts
    September 19, 2015 1:11 PM PDT
    Actually it's the Maggie Valley city council. Wheels
    Thru Time had a big problem with them a few years back; the details of which are redundant but it was all about money, riff raff, etc. Maggie Valley hasn't found a way to increase their tourist revenue other than that which comes from bikers and they don't like bikers. Trust me, there's no welcoming mat out for us other than the marquees of motels. If the holier than thou council would open their eyes they'd realize there's actually nothing going for Maggie Valley when it comes to tourism.
    • 11 posts
    January 27, 2016 10:56 AM PST
    Maggie Valley used to bring in more 'family tourists' many years ago when the only show in town was the 'cowboy shootem-ups  at the attraction 'Ghost Town in the Sky"
  • January 28, 2016 7:29 AM PST
    I am so glad I read this. Was going to go, I already booked a room. Plenty of time to cancel.
    • 1855 posts
    January 28, 2016 8:48 AM PST
    Gearhead577 wrote...
    I am so glad I read this. Was going to go, I already booked a room. Plenty of time to cancel.

You don't have to attend Thunder in the Mountains to enjoy Maggie Valley and the beautiful country side.  Riding is absolutel fantastic.