Question on drive belts

• 84 posts
    September 10, 2015 2:25 PM PDT
    Bought a FXDL new in July '06 with 2 miles on it ('07 model) and expect to pass 100K before year's end.  As the bike gets older I spend a bit more time paying attention to things I earlier might have taken for granted.  Much like my own body as years add up on me too.

Wanting to keep it stock I've changed the hand grips twice, brakes once, fork seals once, God knows how many tires and the low beam went out once.  Oils been changed like clockwork from day 1 with Syn-3 (fricking $25 qt in Europe) everywhere.  Uses about 100ml (3-4 ozs) between changes a portion of which winds up in the air cleaner and on my pants leg.  And very seldom do I ride down dirt or sandy roads.  Plugs burning clean and last oil change mag plug was clean as a whistle.

Now to my question.  I won't change the tires but I pull them off and take the tire/wheel to a shop for change and balance.  I run original Harley Dunlops front and rear.  While the tires are off I go over the systems especially the drive belt, sprockets, brakes, etc.  So far original belt and sprockets seem to be in good condition but I'm hearing some pretty conflicting stories.  Some are telling me the belt needs to be changed every 50K miles,  Others say every 100K.  According to the maintenance manual by visual inspection my belt and sprockets are good to go and nothing needs to be changed yet.........BUT

I'm growing a little concerned as many times I'm several thousand miles from home, often solo (or packing a woman useless for turning wrenches) and in some small village hundreds of miles from a Harley shop.  Being retired sitting a few days in the Swiss or German Alps or soaking up rays on Mediterranean beaches waiting for parts to arrive doesn't sound like much of a hardship but I'd probably not have the correct tools in the saddle bags to do the work.

Pics at 88,600 on bike and 10K on plugs
    Should I change the sprockets and belt now or continue to check them often and follow the maintenance manual to determine when to change?   Am I taking an unnecessary chance by pushing to the limit?  Any input either from experience or watching others will be greatly appreciated.  Seldom I come up with something I can't figure out myself but maybe I'm getting too cheap in my old age to change things early.
    • 19043 posts
    September 10, 2015 10:33 PM PDT
    There are many more qualified than me but...My king has been running with a small nick in one cog of the belt for over 30k. Total miles now are 79K and 11 years old. Rex id driven gently most of the time but on occasion a little hard and long. I have heard belts are good for 100k+, depending on type of riding. But peace of mind is important. I would not change it just to change it but if you are already pulling the primary it might be a good idea to replace it.
    • 10 posts
    September 11, 2015 4:09 AM PDT
    I am not an expert with belts. I do know that correct belt tension and venting has a lot to do with the life span of the belt.

People say oil will harm the belt. But I know someone that has a belt in the primary of a sportster. His belt has been in oil in his primary for more than 20 years with no problem.
    • 5420 posts
    September 11, 2015 4:40 AM PDT
    Like you I have heard many people state many different things about when you should replace the drive belt. Those belts are pretty tough... I traded my last bike in at 102,000 miles and when I did they mentioned the drive belt needed replacement. I have also heard - on rare occasion - belts going out at less than 50,000.

If you have inspected your belt thoroughly and see no major wear or defects then it is probable okay. However like Mike (RexTheRoadDog) said, "it is about peace of mind" and it sounds like you do a lot of long distance riding so if it was me I would probably change it before the next time I was going to be a long way from home.

Just one mans opinion.
  • September 14, 2015 9:16 AM PDT
    I've gotten over 100k on belts before. I have a 93 Softtail with over 60k on the original belt. If you check the manual you'll see there is no lifespan listed. Just keep checking the tension and inspecting for damage. If you do have to change it, though, I recommend OEM. I've put2 aftermarket belts on that didn't last for shit.
    • 1855 posts
    September 14, 2015 9:44 AM PDT
    PM stands for not only Preventive maintenance but peace of mind. They go hand in hand and certainly have an affect on ones blood pressure.
    • 1855 posts
    September 14, 2015 9:45 AM PDT
    Follow up. It's worrisome? Just replace it.
    • 84 posts
    September 15, 2015 3:23 AM PDT
    Thanx, all. Pretty much everyone helped validate what I was already thinking. Agree that OEM is the way to go and as Jimmy said peace of mind has a value.

Doing about a 5K mile run next June and will probably change sprockets and belts a few weeks before departure. Shouldn't be doing any real long runs til then. Still no problems with it so far so things should easily last another 15K-20K til June.

I'll probably keep them around after replacement as I'm a real packrat. Give them to a buddy that needs 'em and he'll probably get another 50K out of 'em.