Hand Hold Now REQUIRED in TX

• 58 posts
    March 17, 2015 10:25 AM PDT
     New law in TX called Malories Law states that a motorcycles carrying a passenger must have footrests and handholds for the passenger.  There is on big problem with this law as I have seen it.  It does not define what constitutes a handhold.  Even the author says to refer to local jurisdiction.  This would mean that riding through 5 jurisdictions, a rider could receive 5 different interpretations.  What are your thoughts or comments?  
    • 44 posts
    March 17, 2015 3:07 PM PDT
    This is some more BS LAWS Made by some one who does not ride whats next seat belts on a motorcycle what about seat belts for children on a school bus STOP THE CRAZY LAWS
    • 1855 posts
    March 17, 2015 11:31 PM PDT
    It's called a reach around. Good in any state. LOL
    • 5417 posts
    March 18, 2015 12:36 AM PDT
    Well RufCut it is Texas so I would think if the passenger wore a single leather glove and wrapped a rope around it that that would count in any area. But the passenger would have to be able to stay on at least 8 seconds :-)

Sorry, I just couldn't think of anything intelligent to say about this crazy a$$ law
    • 3006 posts
    March 18, 2015 4:09 AM PDT
    Yeah this certainly qualifys under the WTF were they thinking?!? The intent is good, yet in actual practice makes no sense at all.My Honda had a pass hand hold strap, removed it, with the back rest on it is not necessary now.
    Seems like another discriminatory law aimed at curtailing or targeting motorcycle riders, and it doesn't sound reasonable when local jurisdictions are given the final say on what constitutes legal compliance.
    • 16795 posts
    March 18, 2015 11:59 AM PDT
    PA has some screwy laws, some are newer, some they pulled out of some dusty book.
    I sold a bike back in the early 2000's that had always passed PA inspection, the new owner had to put on a hand hold or remove the passenger pegs, plus change the forward controls because I had it located where your foot left the foot peg to shift. Crazy nitpicking going on, I try to stay on top of it and get rid of such nonsense.