I was blown away by this helmet....

• March 4, 2015 2:02 PM PST
    Just thought I would share it with you all in case you haven't seen it before. The Skully AR-1 helmet has a google glass style lens that allows the rider to have a 360 degree field of view.

Thoughts?
    Skully AR-1 Helmet
  • ben
    • 1 posts
    March 4, 2015 10:22 PM PST
    I think the rear view camera/gps display is a great idea to keep eyes on the road, but wondering if it includes optical correction for mild hyperopia. Not interested in any telephone or other audio functionality, because I don't want any distractions while riding. Using hands free devices for safety is a myth, the actual problem is your concious attention going from the road to the conversation.
  • March 5, 2015 1:41 AM PST
    I use bluetooth all the time on my bike, mostly to navigate, because I never have any idea where I am lol. This helmet has its own navigation. Probably wouldnt trust that though over my iphone nav.
    • 3006 posts
    March 5, 2015 4:33 AM PST
    Well its about time.Looks like a no brainer to me.Thanks for sharing this!!!
  • March 5, 2015 6:05 AM PST
    I thought it was pretty cool also. only downside, Im not sure its avail to the public yet, and also its over $1000. I am hoping that in the next 10 years or so the technology will be as common as bluetooth is today in helmets. And hopefully significantly less expensive
    • 467 posts
    March 6, 2015 12:52 AM PST
    Considering that I replace my helmet every 5 years or less, this is a lot of wasted tech for me.
    • 3006 posts
    March 6, 2015 4:50 AM PST
    Yeah the downside is the cost !!! In time the price of the new tech will come down to a level where more riders can afford it.We hope!!! That heads up display was very cool !!
    New helmets, in my opinion, have a much longer life for riders. The ability to remove and wash my helmet liner, easily, makes it a lot more wearable after only 5 years. My current helmet has lasted 8 years,still fits near perfect,and unlike my old helmets does not smell like a sweaty sock anymore LOL) which was one big reason I would change them out every 3-5 years.
    • 467 posts
    March 7, 2015 1:28 AM PST
    I change my helmet out so often because as it is bumped, dinged, dropped, etc. the protective foam becomes compressed leaving your helmet essentially no more protective than a candy m&m shell. And given that tech is something that I change out every 3 years anyway, it would have to come down quite a bit in price for me to make that purchase!
  • March 17, 2015 4:30 AM PDT
    The reason for the price is because of the features it has, which is well worth the price. One heck of a revolution...impressed by far. I would definitely buy this helmet!
  • April 10, 2015 5:48 AM PDT
    Wow that is sweet! I will get one of these for sure