California considers requiring motorcycle smog checks

• June 24, 2010 6:37 AM PDT
    Well another thing..........I do not like to solicit here but The RoadDog is right!! Joining ABATE or the AMA is a small price to pay to fight and keep you rights as a biker free!! Proof of that is in this topic! Ok.....Now enough said! Thank you for your patients in listening to me ramble. LOL!!!!!!!!!
  • June 27, 2010 4:44 AM PDT
    All bikes in the UK have to abide with emissions tests.
    • 2072 posts
    June 27, 2010 5:38 AM PDT
    According to ABATE... The wording in the new proposal has eliminated "Smog Checks" and would only require EPA exhaust labels on bikes manufactured after January 1, 2011. However, because of existing "Exhaust tampering" laws already in place they might have a loophole to still gig us on. Sad thing is, no matter what legislation is passed, their gonna do whatever they want !!!!
    • 1161 posts
    August 30, 2010 7:48 PM PDT
    “The noise caused by illegally modified motorcycle exhaust systems is a major quality of life issue across the state,” said Senator Pavley. “Basic common sense and decency dictates that when a motorcycle drives by and sets off every car alarm on the street, that is too loud. Additionally, many of the modifications which are aimed at making a bike louder - for example removing the catalytic converter - also make the bike exponentially more polluting. This has direct, measurable and negative impacts on public health.”

The past decade has seen improvements in pollution control equipment for motorcycles, and most now come equipped with catalytic converters and other emissions control devices. “However, many motorcycle enthusiasts remove the factory installed emissions control equipment and replace it with custom parts that create an exponentially higher amount of noise and air pollution than the factory kits, or legal aftermarket replacements,” said Senator Pavley.

Here is the link:

http://sickshootermotorcycleparts.blogspot.com/2010/08/california-tries-to-reduce-noise-from.html />
    This bill will apply to motorcycles and aftermarket parts going forward from 2013.

Just saw this thought I would share with the rest of you.  Was not sure if you knew about this action or if it was from the closed door policys and money changeing hands.
    • 352 posts
    August 30, 2010 11:48 PM PDT
       Yet another reason I will not live in Ca., however this kind of over-involvement of government does or should indeed concern us all.
     "We the People" need to stand up again, get involved, voice our position and get rid of those politicians that would infringe on our freedoms and rights – enough is enough!
     I don't know about all areas of the country, but I do know that in pretty much all the areas I have ridden and traveled through, few if any had "motorcycle only" parking spaces.  Anyone see any biker only lanes anywhere?
    Yet with most bikes ranging from 40-60 mpg are they not more "green" than most of the cars?
    As for the loud exhaust...maybe if the cage drivers paid more attention to what was going on outside of their Crackberry texting, or make-up applying mirror watchers, non-signaling lane drifters...maybe we could feel safer riding the whisper machines (though I personally like the sound of the big twin growl) – how about spending more time picking on these moving threats to everyone?
    The bottom line seems to be all about money making for the State and Fed…imagine that – now it’s our turn to start pushing back and demanding we keep our money, our rights and our freedom. They can keep the change.
    My rant for the day…
    • 1161 posts
    August 31, 2010 12:11 AM PDT
    TheBullDog wrote...
       Yet another reason I will not live in Ca., however this kind of over-involvement of government does or should indeed concern us all.
     "We the People" need to stand up again, get involved, voice our position and get rid of those politicians that would infringe on our freedoms and rights – enough is enough!
     I don't know about all areas of the country, but I do know that in pretty much all the areas I have ridden and traveled through, few if any had "motorcycle only" parking spaces.  Anyone see any biker only lanes anywhere?
    Yet with most bikes ranging from 40-60 mpg are they not more "green" than most of the cars?
    As for the loud exhaust...maybe if the cage drivers paid more attention to what was going on outside of their Crackberry texting, or make-up applying mirror watchers, non-signaling lane drifters...maybe we could feel safer riding the whisper machines (though I personally like the sound of the big twin growl) – how about spending more time picking on these moving threats to everyone?
    The bottom line seems to be all about money making for the State and Fed…imagine that – now it’s our turn to start pushing back and demanding we keep our money, our rights and our freedom. They can keep the change.
    My rant for the day…