Opinion from the gun people

• January 22, 2015 9:32 AM PST
     Just purchased a new pig gun and was wondering what the CF gun people think about it. This rifle has only been on the market for about a year.
    I was looking for a light weight rifle (6.5 pounds) that would have the knock down power needed to take a large Hog. This is a Moseberg 464 30-30 on a Tactical frame with a 6 position stock, rails and a flash surpressor. Seems people either like it or hate it. I will get a chance in March to try it out as I will be heading back to Texas for a Hog Hunt. Mine is scoped up as well.
    Thanks for looking
    Night Dragon
  • January 22, 2015 10:34 AM PST
    Nice, where in Texas r you hunting?
  • January 22, 2015 12:18 PM PST
    bigdog93kw wrote...
    Nice, where in Texas r you hunting?

West of Fort Worth around the Springtown area.

• 57 posts
    January 23, 2015 1:34 AM PST
    NightDragon,other than caliber 30-30 i have no knowledge of the firearm you have chose and you are right about liking or hating what I call the Black Transformer type firearms,just like the dull flat finishes on motorcycles and Hot Rods.I personally prefer my Bikes - Hot Rods -Firearms to be bright shiny-fast and loud,As long as you keep your shots to a reasonable yardage I don't see any reason why your firearm won't do what you ask of it.While I have had some chances for Long Range shots most of the locations I have pig hunted in the past were thick dense cover,I have had good success with Aim-Point type optics on Handguns and Long guns.Shoot straight and then keep shooting its a Blast. 

P.S  A Desert Eagle 50 or 45 auto are a Hoot dont forget yours
    • 1855 posts
    January 23, 2015 2:03 AM PST
    I wouldn't buy one personally. I'm pretty partial to the Winchester Model 94 30-30 and the history behind the rifle. Everything else seems a bit cumbersome to me. But hey, it's still a cool looking rifle with power to boot.

Peace
    • 19049 posts
    January 23, 2015 4:27 AM PST
    Jimmyacorn wrote...
    I wouldn't buy one personally. I'm pretty partial to the Winchester Model 94 30-30 and the history behind the rifle. Everything else seems a bit cumbersome to me. But hey, it's still a cool looking rifle with power to boot.

Peace

Like Jimmy, I too like the Winchester 94, and similar rifles. And I don't like composite stocks etc. Guess I am Too old school. Give me a Wood N Steel rifle.
    But if that was all they made it would be a boring world...

• 16840 posts
    January 23, 2015 5:11 AM PST
    A year or two ago I was watching one of the outdoor channels where a guy was killing hogs from a helicopter with a 1300 Winchester shotgun. Dude was good.
    They were eradicating a pack of them that was tearing up a farm, he was followed up by guys in trucks picking them up to butcher and donate the pork to feed the needy.
  • January 23, 2015 7:00 AM PST
    Texas is estimated to have over 2 million feral hogs which is about 50% of all the hogs in the United States.
    Those Helicopter hunts are very pricey.
    • 3006 posts
    January 23, 2015 8:03 AM PST
    Have a good time hunting for em.Looks like you have the business end covered,if you can't put down a hog with that firepower I would be very surprised.Be careful tho, heard about a guy who was nearly gored to death by one,barely escaped w/his life.
    Remember w/out pics it didn't happen LOL !!!
    • 44 posts
    January 23, 2015 9:06 AM PST
    looks cool always wanted the hunt hogs not many in middle Tn though
    • 19049 posts
    January 23, 2015 12:11 PM PST
    OK so you mean real feral hogs. Not the Texas Javelina which is often wrongly called a pig. And I see them all the time over here in West Texas
    • 16840 posts
    January 23, 2015 3:23 PM PST
    NightDragon wrote...
    Texas is estimated to have over 2 million feral hogs which is about 50% of all the hogs in the United States.
    Those Helicopter hunts are very pricey.

I think the guy was a contractor and he owned the Helicopter.

• 57 posts
    January 23, 2015 9:41 PM PST
    Expensive to say the least 3-6K for 4 hours, Yep real feral hogs Mike they are becoming a real problem in the Southern States,California even has a growing population
    • 5420 posts
    January 24, 2015 1:18 AM PST
    Nice looking gun. Everything I have ever had has been metal/wood, but I am getting used to the modern looking weapons and may go that way eventually. I like the 6 position stock idea now that I have seen it.
    • 1161 posts
    January 26, 2015 9:55 AM PST
    That is a unique rifle not sure if I like it or not but I would like to shoot it once.  I like my Marlin 30-30 and when got it I payed $75.00 it sat in a farmers back window of his truck for years.   This is what mine looks like.  (No this is not my actual rifle it was an internet search and it looks just like mine.)
    • 9 posts
    January 26, 2015 4:04 PM PST
    What's NOT to like. 3-3 Blam-Blam
    DONE.

I'd use it.

Folks?  Let's start thinkin' BIGGER PICTURE, here.
    The HOGS are runnin'' WYLD.     K?

Time to lock & load.
    This is a nice "huntin' for pig" gun..

Ride Free
    Tweek
    ***and no, this is NOT a reference to Law-Enforcement. 
    Feel me? You know me, better'n that.

• January 28, 2015 5:09 AM PST
    Mossberg has always made a quality product; I wouldn't be concerned.  The composite stock is almost exactly the same as the stock on the Mossberg .22 I recently purchased. I like my Century Arms AK 47 replica in 7.62 with the 100 round drum mag. Good for hogs or Democrats! (joke) 
    • 611 posts
    February 2, 2015 6:09 AM PST
    Well, it is a good lookin rifle and I like the composite stock. Did a little 'rooting around' and found this link.
    http://www.gunsandammo.com/ammo/bringing-home-bacon-best-guns-gear-hog-hunting/ />
    Good luck and have fun!
    Edgeman
  • February 3, 2015 1:52 AM PST
    Hey Edgeman I read the article ....very good article about hunting hogs....Thanks.
    ND
  • May 7, 2015 1:30 PM PDT
     I like it!  I'm sure it's banned in a few States though!

For Hogs I use an old U.S. Rifle Caliber .30 Model 1917, open sights, Remington Corelockt 180 Grn. Some refer to the rifle as an Enfield as it is patterned after the .303 P-3 Enfield used in WW1 and 2.  Nothing fancy, just old and reliable.

• May 12, 2015 6:43 AM PDT
    Skyhorse wrote...
     I like it!  I'm sure it's banned in a few States though!

For Hogs I use an old U.S. Rifle Caliber .30 Model 1917, open sights, Remington Corelockt 180 Grn. Some refer to the rifle as an Enfield as it is patterned after the .303 P-3 Enfield used in WW1 and 2.  Nothing fancy, just old and reliable.

Oh Hell Yea.......very nice......just what ya need.
    Love it
    Night Dragon