Bond Arms - a good motorcycle gun

• January 18, 2015 4:56 AM PST
    I have to carry in my work and for years I have been looking for a gun that fits most of my needs. for about 13 years I have been carrying a Colt M1991A1 (modern version of the 1911). Its not the prefect gun for what I need  - I frequently am around meth lab sites due to my work, and charging pit bulls are the primary issue. They are tough to hit with a 45 and you sure as hell do not want to be bouncing rounds off the pavement and having them hit people or homes. I bought a Bond Arms USA Defender - in 45 long colt/410 shotgun shell. Its a beefy derringer with two shots. Loaded with 00 buckshot, means youre firing the equivalent of 5 .38 rounds at once (or so they say) since each 00 ball is about .38 and there are five to a shell. You can load one chamber with a shotshell and the other with a 45 long.

Its not the perfect gun for everyone - its just got some advantages. Its small enough to conceal and big enough to hang on to and firing shotshells full of 00 buckshot make it more likely youre gonna hit the target. Firing from a motorcycle, this would be an advantage. They are single action - so you need to have the habit of thumbing the hammer. In situations where I felt that shit might happen fast - I have simply carried mine with the hammer cocked and the cross bolt safety on. There is a skill element in using single action- but practice makes perfect.

They are completely American made - in Granby, Texas and are built like tanks. Mine has taken a beating in the field. Also, Bond Arms is a great little company to deal with. If you have the slightest issue, Gordon Bond takes care of it personally.  The photo below is my USA Defender - on my desk. I not only carry it in the field, but often carry it when I am wearing a suit. If you ever find yourself in front of a judge for using it to defend yourself, the judge may find it harder to vilify you due to the weapon you used...these are not combat weapons.

For what its worth.

http://bondarms.com/ />
    • 16840 posts
    January 18, 2015 6:26 AM PST
    I've seen these advertised in the NRA magazine American Rifleman, always wondered how they were.
    Thanks for the post.
  • January 18, 2015 12:02 PM PST
    I'm from Texas and I have owned one of these Bond pistols. Mind was two 45 ACP rounds. I found the trigger pull was a bit excessive, not sure if all are the same, but yes they are great little carry guns. No one would expect you to pull out this little shooter and cut loose with a 410 round....quite a surprise.
    Be safe
    Night Dragon
  • January 18, 2015 9:02 PM PST
    Dragon same here. The trigger pull was heavy but one of the guys at Bond told to simply co k and get fire against the cross bolt it over and to train your hand and that it breaks in the sear. He was right. The trigger pull is now far better

Rev its not a gun I would plink with or punch a lot of paper. The thing kicks like a mule. I practiced with mine just enough to get buckshot on the target. However shot shells are cheap compared to 44 LC
    • 5420 posts
    January 19, 2015 5:09 AM PST
    Cool looking little gun. I really like the "vintage" look.

I have never seen one before and just checking their website it looks like you can swap barrels with lots of different options from .22 to .45. Looks like it is limited addition to 5000 units too.
  • February 7, 2015 4:29 AM PST
    Yea Lucky - they do look vintage, don't they? From what I have read they are fairly close to the original Remmington. They only made 5000 of this model -but they have a number of other models that are very similar. You can pretty much get any variation you want - in caliber or barrel length. 45LC/410 seems like the most useful for defense. Its an awful lot of steel just to fire 0.22 rounds .