Banned from bestbuy due to belt buckel and wallet chain

• January 17, 2015 10:58 PM PST
    I was a Samsung Rep working in a local bestbuy in Melbourne fl. I was banned from working the store by GM Blake Laxson over a belt buckle and wallet chain that he stated was againts best buys Dress Code. I had been wearing them since October without anyone saying anything to me about it. But the GM of this location has been trying for about a year to get all non employee reps out of what he calls His Store. So he used this dress code policy to do just that. But he has not enforced it on his own employees. This besy buy GM needs to be banned and brought up on charges of harassment and discrimination but no attorney in Florida will take the case. So now I am unemployed and the actual company I work for has me on suspension without pay.
    • 834 posts
    January 18, 2015 12:33 AM PST
    Don't think I am picking on you, but if you needed the job you probably should have just followed the dress code. If you knew he was trying to get rid of the non-employee reps, more the reason to walk a tight straight line.

Besides I have to personally agree that the buckle and chains do not really fit the Best Buy image I have seen.
    • 1855 posts
    January 18, 2015 1:49 AM PST
    Respect for your company is the way I look at. Though my hair was long and my company had no qualms about that; whenever there was some corporate function or trade show I cut my hair and dressed accordingly. I was damn good at my job but I was an anomaly. I didn't fit as a long-haired biker. I was a construction super but I was also an employee and behaved like one when the need called for it. I'm not picking on you either. And even though that GM in your opinion is an ahole, you were basically an independent rep. I think you should have complied.
    Good luck.
    • 5420 posts
    January 18, 2015 2:49 AM PST
     Sorry but I have to agree with the others on this.  I have had a number of jobs that require me to go with a look different from my norm.  Like Jimmy said, out of respect for my employer and the fact I wanted the job I would conform.  Seemed like it would have been pretty simple since they weren't asking you to do anything like cut your hair or shave that you couldn't change back when you got off work... all you needed to do was leave the belt and chains in the car.

Hell my daughter once worked at Hot Dog on a Stick.... you think she like wearing that striped shirt and hat :-)
  • January 19, 2015 1:38 AM PST
    Trust me I'm one of those very out spoken people, but if the GM told me either chains or paycheck, I would loose the chains, unless I was very well off then I would have Kept the chains and told the GM to have a nice day, and took a ride. Sorry your out of work, and I hope something comes your way soon.
    Be Safe
    Night Dragon
    • 19049 posts
    January 19, 2015 2:29 AM PST
    Worked a few jobs where the rules pissed me off but I did it to feed the kids. Hell grilled meat at McD's for $2.00 and hour way back when...Later as I was more financially secure i did leave a job or two for similar reasons. Made the right choice most times.
    • 5420 posts
    January 19, 2015 4:58 AM PST
     Laura told me that I needed to at least put a robe on when I am working 
    • 3006 posts
    January 19, 2015 5:18 AM PST
    IMHO
    I think the OP has some valid points,yet he fails to take into account the most important aspect of the situation here.He is an employee of another,and as such he must comply with certain requirements pursuant to his being employed.

I applaud his attempt at maintaining his dress while working yet in light of the situation should have realized it was a losing battle, he could have saved the issue for another day & a different supervisor LOL.its better to pick your battles in life rather than have them thrust at you.

Don't give into despair over losing the job,perhaps it will lead to an even better opportunity & you a bit wiser in choosing your next employer.