The day my mate dropped it.

• 1 posts
    November 19, 2014 10:02 AM PST
    Well its been awhile since I was in here. I don't spose that anyone really missed me.

The other week though i had an opportunity to go for a blast with my ol mate Tony..the 72 yr old biker. Tony a few years ago tore the tendons off his shoulder and due to his own self eagerness to heal up fast..tore all the work the good doctor did in his recontruction. Needless to say Tony hasn't ridden a bike in 3 years. This year so far he has ridden 1000 km..quite an achievement. Considering he was told he'd never ride again.  

We had ridden up to the Central coast on the first Tuesday of November..every year in Australia this signifies Melbourne Cup day..its as big as your Kentucky Derby. We had a beaut ride up and Tony even manage to back a few winners in the cup races. We had a great afternoon and night. 

The next morning I had organised to have breakfast with an ol work collegue at a beachside cafe near where we stayed..I was asked by my host which way I intended to go to get to Terrigal..I told him  and he advised me..that roadworkks were ruining the traffic on my intended route. So I took the route he suggested..Coming down the hill into Terrigal with my destination in sight.. We came upon roadworks..great my host hadn't mentioned this...Turns out the road crew had broken a serious water main.  We had to negociate the river of fast flowing water down hill to the bottom..Being a curb and guttered street..the water was richocheting..off the curbs which made the ride interesting So with about 50 feet between us we set off down the hill..needless to say my clean bike turned muddy very fast..At the bottom I looked in the mirror to check on Tony's progress..and he wasn't there...He had been right there 30 seconds before..I stopped on the rise..and turned back, to look. Tony was down..down on the right side with water gushing all over him and his bike..seems his front wheel washed out going through the last stream of water...Being 72 yrs young...you don't bounce as good as you do when your 55...so he tore his forearm open..and cracked his thumb..Tony with the help of two others got the bike upright and he managed to get down the road to breakfast with some dented pride..We even managed to be home by 1.00pm..

Monday of this week I accompanied Tony to a little town 45 km south of where we live to a bike repairer..turns out Tony made a complaint to the local council who own the road..Who in turn contacted the road crew contractor..and Tony got all the damage to his bike replaced free..to the tune of just over $1000.

Yesterday Tony told me he plans to continue to ride as he is feeling more and more comfortable..he is busy now planning more rides with me as his co companion...as I adapt to his style of riding now..I must admit though he is hard to ride with as he slows down at the wrong time and get way ahead of him ...forcing me to stop and wait...oh well who really cares about time..I'm retired now I have plenty of time to spare..
    • 1 posts
    November 19, 2014 10:22 AM PST
    best kind of riding buddy to have, slows us down a bit, just in time to smell the roses.
    • 3006 posts
    November 19, 2014 5:02 PM PST
    Sounds like a good riding buddy to me. What does it matter how old he is,he still loves riding & it keeps him feeling young I bet.Most of the guys I used to ride with have sold their rides for one reason or another usually due to medical conditions. Tony is blessed that he can ride at all. Anyone who has suffered serious muscle strains/tears knows how devastating they can be.
    • 1855 posts
    November 20, 2014 12:17 AM PST
    Proud of you Jonesy and yes, I wondered where you've been.

Peace
    • 2 posts
    November 22, 2014 3:16 AM PST
    Good to hear from you
    • 1 posts
    November 24, 2014 4:00 PM PST
    Well Blurple I wasn't saying that he wasn't a good riding buddy as I have been riding with him since the mid 90's...we have put alot of miles on our bikes since that time..and have discovered new locations and had fun doing it..had he not been so eager to get past his affliction..we would have been riding those 3 years he was laid up..I still was..He wants to do the States before he drops..but I( think he will be doing it without me..
    • 611 posts
    December 4, 2014 6:36 AM PST
    Well, Jonesy it is good to see a post from ya!
    Damn shame yer riding buddy tore up his shoulder, glad he's back to riding again. I'm hoping that you two will have plenty of rides together that don't include broken water mains or dropping of bikes!
    Edge 'NoDrops' Walker