I see HD bought igniton switches from GM

• 3006 posts
    August 4, 2014 4:49 AM PDT
    One more sign that Harley needs to up its game.Quit putting the squeeze on the suppliers to come up with cost saving measures perhaps?Or start investing in bringing that production back in-house? There is also a recall on the braking system I believe.
    • 16798 posts
    August 4, 2014 6:43 AM PDT
    That and their anti-lock brake fiasco.
    • 1855 posts
    August 4, 2014 7:27 AM PDT
    HD still has a darn good track record for finding issues and immediate recalls. The anti-brake fiasco was a bit silly considering it involves pinched/crossed lines. How the hell does that get through the final inspection.
    • 5419 posts
    August 4, 2014 8:24 AM PDT
    H-D does do a good job recalling products on their own when they have a problem. Although we would like to think that Harley should be absolutely flawless, no matter how much testing you do some things just do not show failure until thousands of bikes have 1000s of miles on them, and then it is usually just a few out of 100,000 plus bikes that ever display a symptom.

• August 4, 2014 3:34 PM PDT
    Unfortunately this forum does not have a SARCASM font. That's what I would have used in the initial post.

Jon
    • 284 posts
    August 17, 2014 11:34 PM PDT
    I do not know for sure but I doubt that Harley makes much of their own parts. Most retail Car, Motorcycle, Peddle bike, etc. Buy from suppliers who specialize in certain products. GM probably over bought, or if they make their own gave Harley a good price, ignition switches and resold them to Harley.

I know Giant, my Street bike, is the biggest supplier of after market parts and frames to all the other bike manufacturers in the world. They provide all the aluminum frames for Specialized, Canondale, etc They are also the biggest supplier of disk brakes in the market.

So it is not uncommon for companies to buy parts from specific suppliers.
    • 284 posts
    August 23, 2014 11:19 AM PDT
    Did you see where GM just did a recall on some 15 million cars covering all brands. Wonder if Harley is in the recall list. lololoo