open trailer

• July 21, 2014 8:45 AM PDT
      pulling a 2 place open motorcycle trailer to Sturgis with 1 bike on it  . Any recommmendations would help on does and don'ts !  " I know a bike should be rode and not pulled " lol  Thinking about putting it on passenger side so I have a better view , pulled snowmobiles on trailers before and used to covering sleds but been told not to cover bike because of wind and loose cover will wreck bike .  Just want to enjoy trip with out the worries of running into bad weather on way out with the wife ! Thanks Mark
  • July 21, 2014 9:58 AM PDT
    I have a open trailer I use for my Trike at times. You were told right do not cover it. It will really work on your paint jog. Try to use 4 ties on it and secure the end of the straps also. I have to agree with you and the bad weather. The older I get the more I like to keep dry. Looks like you could see the bike on the trailer on either side using your mirrors.
  • July 22, 2014 12:07 AM PDT
    Put it in the middle. Some how some way but find a way. Strap it down in the center of the trailer over the axle. Having a lot of weight to one side can cause disastrous events. Trailer can get very unstable over bumps at high speed and start to rock and sway back and forth, eventually becoming uncontrollable and rolling itself and the tow vehicle.
    • 44 posts
    July 22, 2014 5:13 AM PDT
    I agree always on the middle of the trailer I use a front wheel chock and four tie downs I don't compress the front shocks all the way could be bad on front fork seals strap it down good check it at each stop you will be fine
    • 5 posts
    July 22, 2014 5:01 PM PDT
    Tandem axle enclosed trailer will protect your scoot and all your gear, and if you have a blowout, all the better. Grease the bearings, check the brakes, better to do these at home than on the side of the road...
    • 467 posts
    July 23, 2014 2:15 AM PDT
    I also use an open trailer at times and agree with the center of trailer (front to back, side to side). Wheel chock if you can, but 4 short straps (with tails secured to get rid of flapping) is ideal. Try not to compress front forks too much, but you want to make sure there is no movement. And check straps at each stop. Soft loops keep strap hooks away from sensitive paint and chrome. and make sure that the straps are not laying over a painted part.
  • July 23, 2014 2:13 PM PDT
    Thanks guys ! Buddy had it set up for two bikes and I spent the day adding new rails down the middle for a single bike . Greased every thing, air pressure good, and lights all working so ready to go ! Four tie downs and removed the wind shield so now hoping for the best .
    • 467 posts
    July 24, 2014 1:27 AM PDT
    It'll be fine and you will love your trip! Safe journeys!
  • July 25, 2014 7:16 AM PDT
    KnotSo wrote...
    Tandem axle enclosed trailer will protect your scoot and all your gear, and if you have a blowout, all the better. Grease the bearings, check the brakes, better to do these at home than on the side of the road...

Well unfortunately he is not using a tandem axle enclosed trailer......

• August 4, 2014 12:56 PM PDT
    No issues with trailer !! Loaded it up down the middle and drove 900 miles to Deadwood a week ago . Drove back on sunday -- 14 hours ! Had a great time doing the day trips through the Black hills , Spearfish,Nemo, Custer, Needles, Iron Mountain trail off 16 across from Rushmore, Hot Springs, and of course Sturgis !! Had a Awesome week