Handlebar Height

• July 21, 2014 3:51 AM PDT
    Need to vent - had my weekend start off on a bad note after being pulled over on my way home from work. I was followed for a while - then stopped at the most inopportune place (left lane of a 3 lane st, ready to turn on entrance ramp for highway). Had to stop traffic, cross over 3 lanes, then was told to drive down the street a while, make a right and proceed to the next available lot - all this because of my Handlebars!
    So - if the stop wasnt enough on its own, I have this cop tell my that my bars are illegal (above shoulder height). First off - they are LEVEL with my shoulders - but thats not the point. The law in Illinois states that the grips cannot be above HEAD height, as of January 1, 2013. I tell the officer this, whereas he states that is incorrect, and brings me his (RULEBOOK) where the (11-1403C) law states nothing above the shoulder. I respond that the law was changed over a year ago and point out that his book is dated 2012. He states he is unaware of any change - giving me the ciutation, taking my license, etc. Now I have to fight this in court - due to his ignorance of a law that was passed 19 months ago!! Now I have to take off work, go to court with photos, etc, which if any of you have had to do is a major PITA...after doing absolutely nothing wrong. I feel I was profiled, having tattoos, riding a shiny bike and a leather vest - along with a bored cop on a beautiful afternoon. Pissed off to say the least
    • 16831 posts
    July 21, 2014 5:45 AM PDT
    We finally have the handlebar height deal here in PA. straighten out.

One thing that still has me puzzled is the "rake & trail" law.
    "Manufactured Choppers" sold at their dealerships and operated on PA. roads apparently are exempted from the law.
    But independent and home builders have to go by this law in order to get a "legal" annual state inspection sticker.
    • 5420 posts
    July 21, 2014 6:18 AM PDT
    That does suck. Guess you could have used the line they always use and told him "ignorance of the law is no excuse"... but probably would not have done anything except get you in more trouble.

Don't know how it works in Illinois, but here in California an equipment violation would be a "Fix It" ticket. That means you could just go to the police station and show them your bike is in compliance and the ticket is dismissed. Usually you do that after actually fixing the issue, but I imagine if you brought the bike and a copy of the revised code it would be the same thing.

Either way, like you said a major PITA for you consider there was no violation!
  • July 21, 2014 6:26 AM PDT
    Thanks Lucky - Damn, if it was a Fix It ticket, I would have rode directly to the station as soon as he let me go. Dont think it works that way here though. From what I can assess on the ticket - the fine is $120...And if you want to plead not guilty you can request a hearing, which is what I am going to do. Not worth the cost for a Lawyer. Just a PITA for me. He even had the nerve to tell me he was part of the "Motor Unit" and that if I fixed the bars and went to court I could avoid the fine if I was able to show pictures of the so called repair. I will take pics of course, but I am not changing a thing. He also told me he could see my hands just above my shoulders while he was following me, and that it was on video. Great! I will have his own pics showing that I was NOT in violation and that my grips are clearly below the height of my head.
    I truly believe this was a harassment stop. No reason to pull me over for anything I had done wrong
    • 5420 posts
    July 21, 2014 9:19 AM PDT
    Maybe he will check the code before court and figure out he was wrong and not show up to court. That would be an automatic dismissal.
    • 3006 posts
    July 21, 2014 9:31 AM PDT
    Sounds like the officer had no valid reason to hassle you.maybe he was just profiling you? Might be his own personal beef he has with all riders in general!?

M P I A !!! to have to go in a prove it.Yet I thought the burden of proof lies on the party taking you to court?So if that principle applies then merely point out the obvious when they present the proof showing your handlebars exceeded the legal limit.Bring along a picture, just in case, as backup of you on your ride.Take the pic so as to include your license/plate clearly visible? I don't see why any legal counsel would be necessary if their is a competent judge handling the proceedings.
    Who knows maybe the officer involved will be reprimanded for his behavior. Good Luck