pull behind trailer

• June 29, 2014 4:20 AM PDT
    first time buying a pull behind trailer for my Harley. anybody have any thoughts on swivel hitches.
    are they better or not?
    thanks!
    • 5420 posts
    June 29, 2014 6:44 AM PDT
    My personal opinion is they are a "gimick" item that is not necessary and even creates and additional fail point.

I have over 10,000 miles on my trailer without one and rides just fine.  And though not a planned test, I know for a fact there is enough swivel on the basic hitch ball to lay my Road King down on the engine guard without twisting or damaging the hitch.  Besides I would hope you wouldn't be going through twisties and leaning that far over with your trailer behind you.

Just make sure you grease the ball with a good quality grease, your latch is adjusted properly (about 1/16" inche of play when latched on the ball) and you have 30 to 35 lbs tongue weight when loaded and you will have plenty of swivel on the ball.

Note: I carry a fish scale with me to check tongue weight befor I hitch the trailer up.  Just hook it in the ball cup and adjust the load front to back to insure 30-35 lbs.

You may also wnat to look through this post for other tips...
    Towing-a-Trailer-Behind-Your-Motorcycle

• June 29, 2014 10:11 AM PDT
    thanks for the advice Lucky! I'll use that extra $150 on my next trip!!
    • 1855 posts
    July 1, 2014 4:44 AM PDT
    I know I spend a good deal more $$$ than I would if I had a trailer and we camped. But I just can't bring myself to pull a trailer and so we travel light, stay in hotels, and do laundry there as well. Our campground rally days are behind us anyway. Somehow all that uncontrolled energy has lost its appeal. Funny how after 3 or 4 decades of partying it gets old; just like us.